Fasting

Comments abut vitamins, herbs, incantations - anything helpful to hair
Odin

Fasting

Post by Odin »

I'd like to propose a theory. Put Simply, i believe that Fasting may prevent or hopefully cure hairloss. Tom i know with your knowledge and views on nutrition and body building background you may well disagree and disagree vehemently haha, but still, please read what i have to say. it has been discussed on a few hairloss sites in the past before the "ad men" ruined them all.

My first and most obvious piece of evidence is homeless men. They show Extremely atypical rates of hairloss when compared to other, more well off people.
This could be due to two things,
1: Alcohol.
It has been noted before that Alcohol is an excellent vascular dilater. It increses bloodflow through the blood vessels by allowing them to increase in diameter though all things considered it probably causes more systemic harm than good, so it is not my main thought.
2:Diet.
Now hang in here with me for a minute, homeless men would have incredibly poor diets, possibly consisting of alot of easy to reach fast food and left overs... but what about the FREQUENCY of their diet? I cannot imagine they are getting "three square a day" at best they might eat 4-5 days a week, they probably don't eat everyday and when they do it may not be a feast. you may think that this would cause ill health and a deterioration in their body but what if it works the other way....? we know that an excess of food doesn't make you excessively healthy, in fact, if it is the wrong type of food it can very well kill you. What if eating not enough food forces your body to optimise and streamline it's functions? this would be the obvious evolutionary response to not getting enough food would it not?

I have been thinking about a theory for a while that perhaps hairloss is caused by our lifestyle being too easy.... we never get hungry anymore, never get cold.... lets think of what hair would be there for in the first place. The obvious reason would be insulation. We lose something like 50% of our body heat out of the top of our head, and 100% sunshine would fall on the top of our head too. but in our lifestyle we do not feel cold very often with our central heating and housing. add to that our non existent struggle for food. Now nature rarely gives evolutionary traits that aren't needed,and by the same token, often takes away the traits that are no longer needed, like a tyrannosaurus's arms, a snake's legs, the eyes of a deep water fish etc.
Back to homeless men, would hair not be a big advantage to them? it would keep them warm to say the least and perhaps them not getting a regular intake of calories is the body's way of knowing that it is in a kind of struggle to survive, and should optomise. This would also help to explain the 80's Rockstars that i worship. Even despite their disastrous lifestyles and diets they almost all had excellent hair, even today a lot of them retain their long thick hair. Could it be the case that by not eating correctly, or more importantly, FREQUENTLY, they helped their body to react by giving them their slim physiques and healthy hair? one example i can think of is Slash from Guns n Roses. i have recently read his Autobiography (which i highly recommend). He had a heroin habit, a drinking problem, and by his own admission rarely ate anything in the 80's and various pictures from the time show him with extremely thick, shiny long hair. this is true for a LOT of 80's musicians, look at Ozzy Osbourne and the rolling stones. I saw Ozzy on Saturday and he still has thick full hair...... IMAGINE the abuse he has hurled at his body and despite it he still has healthy hair. perhaps it may be due to the rockstar diet.

Finally i just finished watching a show about a fasting diet which i HIGHLY recommend anyone reading this watch. Among the various results that the show listed from it's 2 day fasting diet were drops in the levels of the growth hormone IGF1. a 50% drop, this hormone is known to put cells into a highly reproductive mode as opposed to a slower "repair" mode in it's absence or it's presence in lower levels. Intermittent fasting drops systematic IGF1. apparently Systemic IGF1 can contribute to hairloss as well as many other age related factors as well as cancer.
I'll let you watch the video and draw your own conclusions, but i am considering this diet. the link to it is below. My version would however replace the fast food diet of a homeless man and the vodka and heroin of Slash with a plant based high nutrient diet combined with intermittent fasting.

I hope this post read alright as it has been quite a while since i slept and i'm quite tired but i'm very much interested in calorie restriction in regards to hairloss and any other thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
http://video.pbs.org/video/2363162206/
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Fasting

Post by Tom Hagerty »

Eat, Fast, and Live Longer with Michael Mosley is an informative PBS program that I've seen before. I watched it again though thanks to your link. Even before watching the program the first time, I was on an intermittent fasting kind of diet. I eat dinner at around 5:00 p.m. and then have breakfast around 8:00 a.m. So that about 15 hours in which I don't eat anything. The four-day fast and the 2 out of 7 day fast that Michael Mosley tried don't appeal to me.

I work out in the morning before I have breakfast. There are many reasons why working out in the fasting state is beneficial. For one, you burn more fat that way. And when I do have breakfast I eat nutritious food, not the kind of crap that Michael was eating when he was on that alternate day fast in Chicago. That was pathetic - hamburgers and fries.

Along with calorie restriction, I think that sleeping in a totally dark bedroom is important. Do some research on this. A sound 7 or 8 hours sleep in a dark bedroom makes you feel energetic and ready for the day. Even though some homeless people might have a full head of hair, I wonder about their energy level and their cognitive abilities. The homeless lifestyle might have some appeal to a novelist or a poet, but in reality these people are an unhappy lot -"No direction home" as Bob Dylan wrote.
Systemic IGF1 can contribute to hairloss as well as many other age related factors as well as cancer.
I agree. Too much protein, even good protein, in the diet can increase IGF-1. I have friends who work out in the gym who are loading themselves with protein drinks - not a good idea. I eat meat and get enough protein but my diet is essentially plant based - no hamburger and fries.
Attachments
High IGF-1
High IGF-1
Hamburger.jpg (6.28 KiB) Viewed 48208 times
Odin

Post by Odin »

not the kind of crap that Michael was eating when he was on that alternate day fast in Chicago. That was pathetic - hamburgers and fries.
I thought the same thing when i watched the show. His "Brittish breakfast" was also quite horrible.... if i undertake this fasting thing i'm going to follow up my days off with natural healthy foods, not the chemical laden crap that is so pervasive in society today.
(i'm actually almost through day one of fasting).

I have been reading up on fasting in general, i ended up on the archived forums of this site reading through a discussion.
I often wish that i could go back to the 2000's when this site was in it's prime.

I will use this thread to post any relevant information i find on the subject of fasting in the coming days
Wolverhampton

Post by Wolverhampton »

Thinking back to a couple years ago where my life took a major dip, financially as well as my morale, my diet was naturally suffering as a result. I was eating 1 meal a day at this point after finishing work with my work colleague. We lived in shared accommodation too so bills were split both ways. His cousin also lived with us but wasn't working often. As you can see 3 young males, 1 of which is a student and the other who didn't work due to back conditions, then myself, money was an issue. My other 2 house mates were from India and both practised fasting constantly - therefore input of food expenses were minimal on their part. We held back on unnercessary heating etc. As we would work 5 hours a day for 5 days in the evening and lived in another city from where we worked, each work day averaged out at an 8 hour journey, rarely having time for more regular eating and resulting in a very cold sleep at night.
The point of all this is to say that this lifestyle (which in most cases isn't the most ideal) + the fact I was making a banana egg nog each morning seemed to have slowed down my rate of hair loss (or contributed to hair stabilisation). I noticed my hair was thicker. (Although still thin)) and my scalp wasn't shiny at all. Naturally, I have a high metabolism so I dropped to around 9 and a half stones. This supported your theory (or at least in my opinion) - as conditions were not as servere but similar to that of a homeless - maybe unfortunate is a better word. Although at the time I would have put it down to the fact that not being able to eat as much may have caused a drop in testosterone levels resulting in the above described scalp conditions. The egg nog was just to keep my protein levels up and hopefully not start to eat into my own muscle! Yikes. :shock:
Can I also add something that was on my mind for quite a bit: the dramatic drop in meals obviouy means a drop in glucose/blood sugar levels - which I've read somewhere that high blood sugars contribute to a decreased output of HGH and also spikes testosterone production. Does it seem coincidental that my lack of eating had such a visible effect on my hair condition at that time? Also once I got passed 'the shakes' and lethargy of not eating frequent carbs, I began to feel different; primarily I could think a lot clearer whereas before when I used to keep my sugar levels up I found that thinking felt more fuzzy. Maybe, just maybe too much glucose causes a chemical imbalance in the brain which can have a knock on effect to other body processes? Just a thought...
I will check out both sources of info you guys mentioned. It sounds interesting.