Gut Microbiota

Ideas about food and supplements and how these relate to hair
galeaoman

Gut Microbiota

Post by galeaoman » Sun May 14, 2017 5:00 pm

When different countries adopt the standard western diet there could be an observed increase in the appearance of male pattern baldness in the population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_h ... c_syndrome
A number of studies have found a link between androgenic alopecia and metabolic syndrome, suggesting the combination as a male homologue to polycystic ovary syndrome.
The standard western diet can change the gut microbiota, which could increase the number of harmful bacteria and consequently lead to metabolic syndrome and obesity...

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles. ... Clarified/
Several studies have linked changes in the gut microbiome to obesity, insulin resistance, and metabolic syndrome, but the details of the link have been unclear. Now, a team led by researchers at Yale University has uncovered one pathway leading from gut microbes to increased food intake and insulin secretion in rodents, pointing to potential therapeutic targets for obesity in humans. The findings were published earlier this week (June 8) in Nature.

“Alterations in the gut microbiota are associated with obesity and the metabolic syndrome in both humans and rodents,” study coauthor Gerald Shulman of Yale said in a statement. “In this study we provide a novel mechanism to explain this biological phenomenon in rodents, and we are now examining whether this mechanism translates to humans.”

The researchers had previously noticed that high-fat diets stimulated increased levels of acetate in rodents’ blood streams, and that this increase triggered insulin secretion—but they didn’t know where the acetate was coming from. They further explored the link in the current study.

Antibiotic-treated rats and germ-free mice produced relatively low levels of acetate, the team showed, but restoring the animals’ normal gut microbiota led to increased acetate production; feeding the rodents a high-fat diet raised acetate levels even further. “Taken together, these experiments demonstrate a causal link between alterations in the gut microbiota in response to changes in the diet and increased acetate production,” Shulman said in the statement.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Gut Microbiota

Post by Tom Hagerty » Tue May 16, 2017 3:54 pm

The first Wikipedia page you linked to gives a lot of information about male and female pattern hair loss - its causes, medications, and prognosis. It's a big article.

The second shorter article from The Scientist is more focused on the metabolic syndrome and the effect that the standard American diet (SAD) possibly has on hair loss. I read both articles carefully.

Instead of commenting on them, I'd like to tell you what might benefit the gut microbiota and perhaps the hair follicles as one gets older.

Almost every day I have some plain yogurt with live and active cultures. I also have some unpasteurized sauerkraut a few times a week. These foods keep the gut bacteria healthy. Healthy gut bacteria might have some beneficial effect on the hair follicles, keeping them producing thick, pigmented terminal hair shafts.

You are evidently interested in protecting your physical health and your hair health. What dietary shifts have you been making? Certainly the standard American diet is not friendly to either.
Attachments
Live and active cultures.jpg
The best kind of yogurt
Live and active cultures.jpg (6.44 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

mickey

Post by mickey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:50 am

Hi Tom,
What is unpasteurized sauerkraut? How much yogurt & unpasteurized sauerkraut do you have each day?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:27 pm

I sometimes get Vlasic Old Fashioned Sauerkraut at Walmart. It's under two dollars for a big bottle (32 fl. oz.) I like it but it's not my favorite food.

It's hard to find Yogurt with live and active cultures. I found two types of this product at Kroger. The kind I now like best is Stonyfield Whole Milk Plain Yogurt. It's in the health food section of the store.

I eat yogurt several times a week. I eat unpasteurized sauerkraut maybe once a week.
Attachments
Stonyfield Yogurt.jpg
It has a good flavor and texture.
Stonyfield Yogurt.jpg (7.17 KiB) Viewed 3097 times