2 questions on the anti inflammatory diet

Ideas about food and supplements and how these relate to hair
NickSE

2 questions on the anti inflammatory diet

Post by NickSE » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:01 am

Hi Tom
I want to ask you two questions about the anti inflammatory diet. In your article on that topic you suggest that dried fruit has a high glicemic index, so it should be avoided or at least limited.
But in Italy with "dried fruit" ( = "frutta secca") we refer to both the fruit you see in the photo below and to food such as walnuts, almonds, nuts, cashews etc. I was wondering if in english the latter aren't included, because I know they have many anti inflammatory properties.

My second question is about pasta. Here it's everywhere, you know. But I've read that the carbs from it are the complex ones - in this case their glicemic index is around 50 on a scale from 1 to 100 - so it shouldn't be strictly avoided like soda drinks or processed sugars, which have a far higher index. What do you think?

Thanks
Attachments
108564.jpg
Dried fruit
108564.jpg (213.42 KiB) Viewed 1967 times

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: 2 questions on the anti inflammatory diet

Post by Tom Hagerty » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:18 pm

So it should be avoided or at least limited...
I'm skeptical about the diet plans that tell you to eliminate whole categories of food. Dr. William Davis in his best-selling book, Wheat Belly, for example, gives plausible reasons to give up all wheat products. Other diet plans state that you'll be better off if you eliminate meat and dairy. Again the reasons sound plausible.

I'm more flexible in my choice of foods. I eat all foods in moderation except for the really bad stuff - sugary drinks, and sugary almost anything. But dried fruit is a problem because it lodges between the teeth and can cause cavities. Raisins are notorious for this enamel destroying behavior. Dried fruit has good nutritional value but I usually stay away from it because of the tooth issue.

There is no problem with real nuts though. Of course they are high calorie foods so you don't just gobble them down. Having them occasionally, though, is probably good for the hair and skin. I eat walnuts, almonds, and Brazil nuts. But be careful of Brazil nuts. They are a potent source of selenium. Too much selenium can be toxic.

Pasta is good too in moderation. Yesterday I had dinner at a fancy Italian restaurant in Columbus, Ohio. Of course pasta was served. But after reading the Dr. William Davis book about the problem with all wheat products, I tend to not indulge too much.
Attachments
Pasta dishes.jpg
Healthy in moderation
Pasta dishes.jpg (12.52 KiB) Viewed 1950 times

KnightNJ

Re: 2 questions on the anti inflammatory diet

Post by KnightNJ » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:24 am

My 2 cents is it "depends" on many factors whether a person should eat either.

Some people have the need for more balanced nutrient requirements and could potentially eat both at times while others ( like me) cannot eat either at all for many reasons to include the high glycemic index of both. Those types of foods push my type way in to an acidic environment causing all sorts of problems for me to include in my opinion poor hair health and hair loss.

-Whenever possible, eat only whole, natural, unprocessed, organic foods. The rule to follow is simple: If your ancestors -- 200 years ago or 10,000 years ago -- didn't eat it, you shouldn't either! Although our brain function, reasoning ability and intelligence have changed, our biochemistry has hardly changed at all. In fact, science believes that there is less than a 1/100,000th of a difference between human metabolisms today as compared to hundreds of thousands of years ago. Nature makes changes through genetic mutation extremely slowly. Slight alterations take thousands of generations to make. Simply put, our metabolisms are not equipped to handle the extreme and dramatic changes in our natural food supply that have taken place within only the last 75 years, with the addition of over 10,000 synthetic chemicals to our food supply, and the creation of adulterated, unnatural food that has been packaged, preserved, synthetically/artificially created, processed, canned, colored, pasteurized, imitated, homogenized, sweetened, fried, bleached, refined, purified, hydrogenated, chemicalized, hybridized, emulsified, denatured, and devitalized. Eat the kind of food that nature intended to be the fuel for life for your body.

One way to answer your questions would be to figure out what type you are and start experimenting with foods.

I recommend again reading the The Metabolic Typing Diet , published by Doubleday, January 2000. The book includes a self-test that allows the reader to identify his or her general Metabolic Type®category in order to follow the appropriate Metabolic Type® dietary recommendations as well as additional self-tests to further customize the diet.

You seem very interested in maintaining your hair health, getting on the right foods for you is foundational.

At a minimum after eating foods ask yourself how do you feel after eating those foods? If you do not feel well that is a first indication they are probably not right for you. Food should provide you energy and be uplifting.

Best wishes!