Vitamin D chronic deficiency!!!!

Ideas about food and supplements and how these relate to hair
luke_gig

Vitamin D chronic deficiency!!!!

Post by luke_gig » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:16 am

hey Tom, i m 21 yrs old from india. I m suffering from hair loss around 2.5 years with diffuse thinning and hairline intact. But there is no slick bald spot yet. I was confused. Then i decided to get my blood work done. Everything was fine but Vitamin D was 17.3 nmol/L and normal range for it is 75 nmol/L. Then i put onto supplements of vitamin d3. I m on 4 th week and my hair which was thinner are becoming darker and thicker in the temples and crown as well. I want to ask that whether it was case of CTE (chronic TE) as my hair (short or long) had a white bulb and my only density is reduced i didn't have slick bald spot??

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Vitamin D chronic deficiency!!!!

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:02 pm

You said that everything was fine except for a vitamin D deficiency. Many times, though, people with a deficiency in one vitamin or mineral are deficient in others too because they eat many processed foods. Here is a short article from the Prevention website:
If you’re removing more hair from the drain than usual, you may want to take a closer look at your diet: Having low levels of vitamin D and iron could be playing a role in your thinning locks.

Researchers at Cairo University found that women who were experiencing hair loss also had lower levels of iron and vitamin D—and hair loss only got worse as the levels dropped.

“This is the first time vitamin D’s possible role in hair loss has been highlighted,” explains Rania Mounir Abdel Hay, MD, a dermatologist at Cairo University, and co-author of the study. “It might regulate the expression of genes that promote normal hair follicle growth.” As for iron: Low levels may inhibit an essential enzyme that has been associated with hair loss in mice.

Aim for a minimum of 600 IU of vitamin D per day, 800 IU if you’re over 71 years old. While it can be difficult to get enough vitamin D in your diet, salmon packs 450 IU per 3-ounce serving, and fortified milk and orange juice has 115 to 135 IU. And consider a vitamin D supplement, which has more than just healthy hair benefits: It could prevent heart disease, cancer, and bone fractures.
I also take a vitamin D3 supplement every day.
I want to ask that whether it was case of CTE (chronic TE)
It is highly unlikely that you have CTE. That white bulb attached to the hairs that fall out is a combination of sebum and dead hair follicle cells from the root sheath. That white bulb is on almost all hairs in the telogen stage of the hair cycle that are destined to fall out.

luke_gig

Post by luke_gig » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 pm

So it may be due to vitamin D deficiency :geek: !! Tom, i am not shedding as much as previous . Now i m shedding only 5-10 hairs and all are terminals and half of them are from sides and back :D ! Baby hairs are all around regrowing. So after hair cycles, normal hair will regrow ?? Doctor said u can recover your vitamin D deficiency in around 2 -2.5 months. What do you say Tom about this ?? and whether eggs are good source of vitamin D or not??

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:39 pm

Shedding 5 to 10 terminal hairs a day is normal; shedding over 100 hairs a day is not. Now that you will be recovering from you vitamin D deficiency, your hair density should return.

Egg yolks are a good source of vitamin D as well as salmon, sardines, tuna, fish-liver oils like cod liver oil. A personal preference is poached eggs for breakfast.
Attachments
Eggs.jpg
One chick escaped
Eggs.jpg (4.63 KiB) Viewed 25820 times

luke_gig

Post by luke_gig » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:08 am

Tom, i want to know that now i m shedding very little fine baby hairs from lower part of crown. Is this a sign of recovery as they will grow thicker as i recovering my vitamin d deficiency and my temples filled in as well ? what about that little hairs they all had that bulb ??

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:23 am

I'm shedding very little fine baby hairs from lower part of crown.
There is the possibility that these vellus hairs will be replaced by pigmented terminal hairs but there is no guarantee of this. The crown area of the scalp where the skin often becomes tight and thin is often not a healthy environment for terminal hairs. But don't give up hope. You may see some positive activity in this area if you are patient.
recovering my vitamin d deficiency
Perhaps this one factor was responsible for your hair loss. But usually hair loss is caused by a number of factors, vitamin and mineral deficiency being an important one. My suggestion is to eat nutritious foods, stay away from junk foods, get enough exercise, and continue with that D3 supplement. Of course don't smoke or get too much sun exposure - both activities bad for the hair follicles.