anaerobic exercise like sprints and hair loss

Ideas about food and supplements and how these relate to hair
Hobbit604

anaerobic exercise like sprints and hair loss

Post by Hobbit604 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:48 pm

I know this must be disscussed many times but I always get different answers.

My situation is that I'm 22 and a track team member. I do 60m sprints, twice a week. Each training session, after the warm-up, I start to sprint for 60m, and then take a 3 min break, then I sprint again; so it basically sprint 60m for every 3 min for one hour (20 times sprints total). And I do this for twice a week. Some push-up and set-up after that

I didn't encounter the hair loss case yet. But I heard from people talks about how anaerobic causes the hair loss and I am quite worry about it that it might have effect once I aged.

So I really hope to get some professional advice about such exercise and hair loss. Thanks

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: anaerobic exercise like sprints and hair loss

Post by Tom Hagerty » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:23 am

You're doing high intensity interval training (quick-burst anaerobic training). It's an excellent form of exercise but it can temporarily increase testosterone levels. This increase is only slight, however, and your testosterone serum level will return to baseline levels within two hours.

Research has found that free testosterone can be converted to DHT by a certain enzyme - five-alpha-reductase. This DHT can have a negative effect on the hair follicles of genetically predisposed people. (That is genetically predisposed to hair loss.) But I have not seen any sound research that shows a correlation between the type of exercise that you are doing and hair loss. Of course if you are in the weight room or in the locker room, you'll hear guys talk about how this or that exercise will contribute to early baldness. These "theories" are not based on research though; these theories are based on hearsay.

But go to the Internet and read about the benefits of high intensity interval training (variable intensity training). And there are many benefits. I do this kind of training myself on a stationary bike - 20 minutes/three times a week.

Hobbit604

Post by Hobbit604 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:52 pm

Tom Hagerty wrote:You're doing high intensity interval training (quick-burst anaerobic training). It's an excellent form of exercise but it can temporarily increase testosterone levels. This increase is only slight, however, and your testosterone serum level will return to baseline levels within two hours.

Research has found that free testosterone can be converted to DHT by a certain enzyme - five-alpha-reductase. This DHT can have a negative effect on the hair follicles of genetically predisposed people. (That is genetically predisposed to hair loss.) But I have not seen any sound research that shows a correlation between the type of exercise that you are doing and hair loss. Of course if you are in the weight room or in the locker room, you'll hear guys talk about how this or that exercise will contribute to early baldness. These "theories" are not based on research though; these theories are based on hearsay.

But go to the Internet and read about the benefits of high intensity interval training (variable intensity training). And there are many benefits. I do this kind of training myself on a stationary bike - 20 minutes/three times a week.

Thx for the reply, Tom. My understanding from your reply is that though my testosterone will increase due to the exercise but it will drop later, which means it will not convert to DHT at all ? And exercise itself doesn't have effect on the convert of DHT from testosterone ? Am I right ?

riodoro

Post by riodoro » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:56 am

I think any kind of sport activity is good for u as it increases bloodflow. Dont be afraid of the DHT or the increased Testosterone levels. Bloodflow is important to deliver the nutrients to ur scalp for hair growth (in my opinion)