multivitamins

Ideas about food and supplements and how these relate to hair
mamaherrera

multivitamins

Post by mamaherrera » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:06 pm

I come to you because you seem so intelligent, and I am just hoping for your opinion, is you don't mind. I take a prenatal vitamin, as I'm pregnant. But lately I've read that too much copper can cause alzheimers, an aging issue!! THey say that more than .9mg in a multi is too much, now my prenatal has 2mg. As do many supplements. They defend themselves saying that it is ok because of the amount of zinc that they put in the vitamins, so it all balances itself out. Just wondering what you think?? I know you are all about eating well and not taking lots of pills, but I am doing it now just to help baby along and was wondering on your opinion. Thanks
Andrea
PS still doing scalp exercises and facial ones!

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: multivitamins

Post by Tom Hagerty » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:56 am

so it all balances itself out.
I hope that the supplement company is right about copper and zinc balancing themselves out. I much prefer to get these trace minerals from natural foods though. Brazil nuts has a good balance of copper, zinc, and selenium. But even with this natural food you still have to be careful about eating more than a half dozen at a time because of selenium toxicity.

Blood serum copper is often elevated during pregnancy because of a dramatic rise in estrogen. After your baby is born it takes about three months before the copper gets back to normal. Some research indicates a correlation between high copper levels and postpartum depression.

Instead of risking your physical and mental (Alzheimer's disease) health with perhaps toxic amounts of supplemental copper, my suggestion is to eat lamb chops, lean beef, dark leafy greens, and maybe a few Brazil nuts thrown in. Of course if you do get copper-induced Alzheimer's you'll forget about all your other problems.

Nonie

Re: multivitamins

Post by Nonie » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:21 pm

mamaherrera wrote:I come to you because you seem so intelligent, and I am just hoping for your opinion, is you don't mind. I take a prenatal vitamin, as I'm pregnant. But lately I've read that too much copper can cause alzheimers, an aging issue!! THey say that more than .9mg in a multi is too much, now my prenatal has 2mg. As do many supplements. They defend themselves saying that it is ok because of the amount of zinc that they put in the vitamins, so it all balances itself out. Just wondering what you think?? I know you are all about eating well and not taking lots of pills, but I am doing it now just to help baby along and was wondering on your opinion. Thanks
Andrea
PS still doing scalp exercises and facial ones!
Hi mamaherrera:

IMO 2mg is the standard amount of copper in vitamins and is the 100% daily recommended amount for that element. What's more, it is necessary for the development of your fetus and prenatal vitamins have the nutrients balanced in a way that will help the healthy development of your baby. I would not take a chance with not taking them as it is very hard to adequately balance food to ensure you are giving your baby what s/he needs.

I don't know what studies you read because I have read the opposite w/r/t copper and Alzheimer's. Here's one article from earlier this year:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 083905.htm

And this article from a few years ago talks about how useful copper is for the development of the fetus:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 084704.htm

And if you think about it, people do consume copper even when not eating for two and even in those cases, 2 mg is the standard amount in multivitamins for one not two. So I would not worry too much about it. When in doubt, ask your doctor...but personally I would not worry about it.

Furthermore, out of curiosity, I decided to look up some foods you are likely to eat which contain copper and the amounts in them exceeds the 2 mg you are worried about by far. http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000 ... 00000.html