In order to do the Scalp Exercise correctly, do I have to be able to move the Occipitalis muscles independently?

Questions and comments about this weird approach to hair loss
Lucas

In order to do the Scalp Exercise correctly, do I have to be able to move the Occipitalis muscles independently?

Post by Lucas »

I think I might be moving my occiptalis muscles because my scalp is moving ever so slightly, but I am not able to move them without raising my frontalis muscles.
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: In order to do the Scalp Exercise correctly, do I have to be able to move the Occipitalis muscles independently?

Post by Tom Hagerty »

Being able to move the occipitalis muscle, two muscular slips at the back of the head, is an indication that you are doing the scalp exercise correctly.

A small muscle that can become strong
A small muscle that can become strong
Occips.gif (10.42 KiB) Viewed 6076 times

The scalp will always move a bit when you contract the frontalis muscle at the front of the head, but I don't think that this small movement is enough to enliven the hair follicles. What I think is key to generating new hair growth is the alternating contraction of both the frontalis and occipitalis muscles. This alternating contraction will give you much more scalp movement. The movement powered by the contraction of the epicranial muscles will: (1) improve the quality of the capillaries in the scalp, specifically the capillaries at the base of the hair follicles, (2) speed up lymph flow in the scalp, thus possibly getting rid of toxic material that might be building up, and (3) keep the scalp pliable and perhaps prevent the thinning of scalp tissue. A thick scalp is a good environment for terminal hairs - hairs that are thick in diameter and fully pigmented. Terminal hairs are between 3 and 5 millimeters in length, inserted diagonally in the scalp. Thin tight scalp tissue will not adequately support these hairs.

I know it will be hard work gaining full control of the occips but it's worth the effort because these strong muscles will enable you to do the scalp exercise right - hence good hair; and they will keep the upper face from falling apart as you grow older. Work at isolating these muscles and contracting them. It took me two weeks to gain control of them. It is possible.
Lucas

Re: In order to do the Scalp Exercise correctly, do I have to be able to move the Occipitalis muscles independently?

Post by Lucas »

Is it possible to send you a short video of what I’m doing now so that you can critique it?
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

Send me an email by going to my Contact page on the Hairloss-Reversible website. I'll then send you my email address where you can send the video.

Send me two videos: One from a side view of you doing the alternating contraction of both the frontalis and occipitalis. In the second video I'd like to see a side view of you contracting only the occipitalis muscle. It is surprising how many men think they are doing the scalp exercise correctly when they are contracting only the frontalis muscle. To really benefit from the scalp exercise you have to alternately contract both muscles.

I'll look at your video carefully and tell you what you are doing wrong or doing right.