Long term scalp exerciser

Questions and comments about this weird approach to hair loss
Andy

Long term scalp exerciser

Post by Andy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Hi all

I can't remember exactly how long I've been doing the scalp exercise, but it's been about 11-12 years. I'm pleased to say that I've still got a complete scalp full of hair and regularly get complemented on my hairs thickness.
I just wanted to share some things that may help others.

About 10 years ago, I took some acne medication as I was taking protein powder and getting acne on my body. This medication is your hairs worst enemy and shortly after my hair went thin and and falling out at a great rate. The scalp exercise didn't stop this hair loss. I did some research and it turns out a lot of people were able to reverse the effects of this drug induced hair loss by taking 5000 mcg biotin supplements. There is a lot of low dosage stuff out there that isn't effective. This stuff helped my case.

Ive done the scalp exercise on and off for the last 11-12 years and at times haven't done it for many months at a time. It does become obvious when I haven't done it for a long time as my hair slowly thins and becomes difficult to manage. Every time I start the scalp exercise, it only takes a few months to get my hair to perk up again.

When doing the scalp exercise, I find it's most effective if I stand up and watch myself in the mirror. I can't seem to achieve a pumped feeling while lying down. I used to do the exercise for a full 10 minute stint but found my muscles would become efficient and wouldn't pump up as much. So now I'll exercise for 2 minutes, rest for 15 seconds then repeat until I've done the 10 minutes. I've done this for the last few months and find I can achieve a pump every time. I also do it every second day. I find if I do it everyday, again, I don't get as good as a pump. By doing it this way, I find the first couple of minutes my scalp isn't as easy to move but a couple of minutes in, my scalp loosens up. By giving the scalp 15 seconds of rest, I can feel the blood drain from the scalp, enabling me to pump it up again.

I used to be obsessed with form, ie contract the muscles fully, but I've found that this isn't nessessary. Instead, by looking in the mirror, I only focus on my scalp moving back and forwards and not what my eye brows are doing. I visualise my scalp moving forward and back as much as possible and find I don't actually have to contract the muscles as much to achieve this. This also helps with achieving a pump. I vary speed a lot, starting slowly then towards the end of the 2 minute set I get faster and faster. Then stop for the 15 seconds rest.

Counting falling hairs is your worst enemy and is not a good way to track your progress. It will send you insane and I don't recommend you do it.

I do a lot of weight training, taking protein and supplements(safe and legal ones mind you) and this type of lifestyle doesn't effect my hair.

Happy to answer any questions or if anything needs clarification please ask. If I think of any thing else I'll add to this thread.

Andy

Andy

Re: Long term scalp exerciser

Post by Andy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:02 am

I just wanted to add a few things,

I am a serving member and have spent over 6 months living aboard a Naval vessel. I spent 10 minutes in my rack every night doing the scalp exercise as I would feel stupid doing it in plain site. 6 months of doing this yielded no positive(or negative) results. This is why I do it standing up.

Generally, when doing the exercise consistently, I'll usually get new hairs on my hairline show up.

Currently, doing the exercise how I mentioned above has yielded the best results in terms of new hair growth vs time.
I forgot to mention that I'll also have my head tilted down slightly so I can have a better view of my scalp. I hope the part about not requiring full contractions made sense as I feel it is important. Full scalp movement is important, and when I achieve proper scalp movement, my eye brow movement is very minimal.

Regards

Andy

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:33 pm

You said, "I hope the part about not requiring full contractions made sense as I feel it is important."

You are obviously getting positive results from doing the scalp exercise without the full contraction of the scalp muscles. But for people just starting with the exercise, I recommend a full contraction of both the frontalis muscles and the occipitalis muscles. In the last year many men have sent me videos of themselves doing the scalp exercise. About half these men are doing the exercise incorrectly. They are contracting the frontalis muscles but are failing to get even a slight contraction of the occipitalis muscles.

I know it takes concentration and work to gain control of the occips at the back of the head. But if people want the results that Andy has, they should try to achieve good form with the exercise. In the long run, sometimes the very long run,☺ the results are fantastic, like luxuriant hair.
Attachments
Pierce Brosnan.png
I wonder if agent 007 has time to do the scalp exercise when he's not killing the bad guys
or making love to good-looking women.
Pierce Brosnan.png (71.65 KiB) Viewed 4620 times

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:03 am

From memory it took me 6 months to be able to contract the occipitalis. I would look in the mirror and think hard and visualise my occipitalis contracting, which is a difficult thing to do as it feels like hopeless guessing. But rest assured, it does happen eventually. The link from the brain to the occipitalis does not exist and needs to be created by thinking about it. More of a brain training exercise really, trying to contract the occipitalis.

I do also remember in my attempt at contracting the occipitalis, when I thought all hope was lost, I grabbed my scalp and moved it back and forwards with my hands for about 10 minutes. Funnily enough, shortly after this, I was able to contract the occipitalis.

NickSE

Post by NickSE » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:23 am

Hey! Thanks for your testimonial. I've got a question for you: are you still taking the biotin supplement? If no, for how many months/years did you take it? I had a problem too with an acne medication, it might have hurt my hair the last year.

mickey

Post by mickey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:44 am

Hi Andy,

How long did it take before you could actually see your scalp move in the mirror? I can feel my scalp move by placing my fingers on the top of my scalp & trying to contract the occipitatis & also by trying to contract the frontalis (not at the same time0 but I can't see any movement in the mirror.

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:34 pm

NickSE wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:23 am
Hey! Thanks for your testimonial. I've got a question for you: are you still taking the biotin supplement? If no, for how many months/years did you take it? I had a problem too with an acne medication, it might have hurt my hair the last year.
Hi nickse

I still take the bioten supplements and have been doing so for the last 10 years. I think this, along with the scalp exercise is a great combination.

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:41 pm

mickey wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:44 am
Hi Andy,

How long did it take before you could actually see your scalp move in the mirror? I can feel my scalp move by placing my fingers on the top of my scalp & trying to contract the occipitatis & also by trying to contract the frontalis (not at the same time0 but I can't see any movement in the mirror.
Hi Mickey

I can't remember exactly, but it did take about 6 months before I could consciously contract the occipitals. I do remember when I could finally contract them, I found myself doing weird things with my mouth, like inadvertently smiling when contracting the occipital muscles. I've since dropped the weird smiling habit and can contract them without anything else moving.
I say keep practicing. You're slowly building the neural pathway in the brain every time you attempt to contract the muscles and one day, you will have it. I guess in a way, it's similar to those who try to learn to walk again after suffering spinal injuries.

Movement was minimal to begin with. But after time, things loosen up nicely. Sometimes when I skip the exercise for a little while, the scalp movement tends to reduce. In my mind, I use this as an indication of my scalp health.