17 months of SE/Wim Hof method

Questions and comments about this weird approach to hair loss
daveyreh

17 months of SE/Wim Hof method

Post by daveyreh »

Hello hair-raisers (heh),
Coming thru with an update. Have been very happy with the results of nearly 1.5 years of SE, and continue to see new hairs propping up, mostly around the front "widow's peak". Crown is variable, but combing over to cover it up is getting easier and easier. The temple areas along the forehead seem to be the most elusive and as a 34 year old, I may have to resign to the fact that inasmuch as I get "full hair recovery", I will probably not have the awesome bangs I had in my 20's ever again.

What has dawned on me is the feedback, or, I guess, biofeedback of my lifestyle and diet decisions. It seems to affect my hair same day. I had said before that the potential of my hair to look "good" in any given day has a lot to do with how my scalp skin is doing that day. If I'm very flexible and able to move the scalp a lot, the hair just looks more buoyant and is easier to comb. If I skip my cardio for the day, my hair just looks flatter and less alive, and that's a fact.

I've adoptd a new type of practice to augment my hair regimen and general health. It is called the Wim Hof method. Its a method of breathing. It combines cold exposure (which I've been involved in for a few years now via cryotherapy and cold pools), meditation (where I have the least experience) and deep breathing. Check out this website: http://placeofpersistence.com/wim-hof-m ... -exposure/.

Basically, in addition to SE and facial exercises, I combine this breathing technique to literally style my hair every day. It helps you intake greater amounts of oxygen; the eccentric but lovable Dutch originator of this idea, Wim Hof, believes human beings intake far too little oxygen to ward off the chronic stresses and ailments that thousands of years ago never used to plague us. But I have found that it will increase your scalp laxity and pliability IMMENSELY! If you are having trouble with SE as a newcomer, I highly suggest trying to do about 10-15 minutes of this breathing technique before attempting the SE and see if this doesn't help you finally gain control of those occipitals. Its uncanny how good it will make you feel too.

Nowadays, I will do the SE/facial exercises/breathwork all at the same time. So I'm holding my breath while doing SE, refilling with O2, and then doing the facial exercises, and the profuse oxygen seems to manifest quickly with good looking oxygenated skin on the face and I imagine, in and on the scalp. So try that if you're having difficulty with SE. Do it anyway if you want to create some shape and buoyancy to your hair. It will comb so much easier. I'm currently holding my breath as I do the advanced exercise and I'm just getting this cool burn around where I'm pulling and I expect when I go to comb my hair, what I naturally do after advanced SE practice, the hair will just comply to my will and look shiny and ready for styling. Another thing: if you tend to have a patchy beard (I have a full beard which sometimes looks patchy in teh morning), try doing this breathwork to make the beard more manageable for combing, it seems to close up those patchy areas believe it or not. Its uncanny.

In the photos, you are seeing my hair at a length that is 2 months post-haircut, it was a pretty short haircut. So it seems to be growing at a normal rate on a consistent basis, which was a fear of mine some months ago. I lose anywhere from 5-30 hairs a day but I only wash my hair once a week or so. There's a mix of intermediate and terminal hairs, and of course some non pigmented tiny hairs on the temples that are very up-river from any kind of terminal manifestation, but they're there. I've written them off.

Some stats
Daily foods:
Wheatgrass tablets
Apple cider vinegar
5ml Cod Liver Oil every morning
blueberries/almond milk/coconut milk/collagen smoothie

Daily exercise:
Approx 7 miles walking/running (based on fitbit stats) daily
15-20 minutes of cardio (stairstepper)
15-20 minutes of weight training/yoga 1-2x per week
Cold Shower after workout
Attachments
The relatively good side when compared to the left side
The relatively good side when compared to the left side
daveyreh12ab.jpg (40.58 KiB) Viewed 15755 times
The weaker left side
The weaker left side
daveyreh13a.jpg (46.4 KiB) Viewed 15758 times
The crown, I'm still working on it
The crown, I'm still working on it
daveyrey11.jpg (39.72 KiB) Viewed 15759 times

vali4

Re: 17 months of SE/Wim Hof method

Post by vali4 »

Hello Davey,

glad to see that update from you. I remember some of the pics from your last posts and I think that your hair here looks really well, probably also better than before. To be honest, if I see this pics somewhere else I wouldn't say that you are suffering from hairloss at all. I'm glad about you!

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

Daveyreh, I made your photos a little smaller so that the viewers will not have to scroll. I hope that's OK with you.

I read through the material about Wim Hof. He's a heroic guy, engaged in all kinds of punishing behavior. But I just want to give you a few things to think about:

1. Holding your breath too long might cause some brain hypoxia if done to extreme. Brain cells need an uninterrupted flow of oxygen in order to function at an optimum level. Probably the practice of holding one's breath won't destroy brain cells, but I don't recommend it when doing the scalp exercise or any other form of exercise. Breathing naturally isn't as dramatic as swimming the length of a pool while holding your breath - I do have to admit that though. Do some reading on hypoxia. There is a chance that Wim is wrong about its benefits.

2. When I was your age I exercised like a madman too. It didn't hurt me in the slightest. But I see older women at the ballrooms which I often go to who engage in marathon running and all the training it entails. These women, almost without exception have what is called runner's faces. Their faces are gaunt with unattractive vertical lines. Sometimes too much exercise can be counterproductive. Read about "runner's face" on the Internet.

3. The cold! I know it's healthful to take cold showers, etc. But it does feel nice in the morning to take a warm shower, even though I know a cold one would be more beneficial.
Attachments
A nice cold shower
A nice cold shower
Cold showers.png (59.25 KiB) Viewed 15755 times

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Glad to see you're doing well Davey. Personally I think you look just fine.

Arfan

Post by Arfan »

Daveyreh,
Been a long time man.
I am very happy to see these results you've got.
Will give an update about my hair health soon!

daveyreh

Post by daveyreh »

vali4 wrote:Hello Davey,

glad to see that update from you. I remember some of the pics from your last posts and I think that your hair here looks really well, probably also better than before. To be honest, if I see this pics somewhere else I wouldn't say that you are suffering from hairloss at all. I'm glad about you!
Vali, thanking you so much man. In my own head, I'm still fighting the good fight. Daily battle. My disposition for MPB is fierce as I'm seeing my 24 year old kid brother losing his frontal hair at a jack rabbit rate. His hair is so weak, he can't even comb it without yanking the strands from the most vulnerable follicles. So he does what I had to do when I realized I was losing hair: sculpt and groom with fingers hoping not to knock out a hair that's going to fall out anyway. So I thank you, I work very hard and expend a lot of thought and time on making sure I do the SE and ASE. So in reality I'm definitely not one of those guys who doesn't have to worry about his hair, that it'll be there. I believe the hard work I put in is the only reason I have anything left, and that might be earning me recoveries on former hair. Are you still keeping up with the exercises?

Jimbob, thanks for your comment as well, afterall I AM combing forward the hair on my sides to compensate for what I still consider weak temples, given the style I'm trying to achieve (a bountifully curly look). How's your program going? Happy New Year, friend.

Tom! Haha, I'm enthused at your reaction, that I might be punishing myself.
Tom Hagerty wrote:
1. Holding your breath too long might cause some brain hypoxia if done to extreme. Brain cells need an uninterrupted flow of oxygen in order to function at an optimum level. Probably the practice of holding one's breath won't destroy brain cells, but I don't recommend it when doing the scalp exercise or any other form of exercise. Breathing naturally isn't as dramatic as swimming the length of a pool while holding your breath - I do have to admit that though. Do some reading on hypoxia. There is a chance that Wim is wrong about its benefits.
You should try it Tom! Although I'm going to presume this sort of thing may not be your cup of tea, it can be rather uncomfortable, generally speaking. It is certainly not as relaxing as the SE until about a half hour into the cycles. I have been practicing it for a few months now, and I must admit that I do buy Wim's reasoning that a lot of breath holding thing is mental. Would you agree that a small amount of hypoixia would be good for angiogenesis? You go without air for a minute yes, BUT, you are pre-filling the lungs by hyperventilating and reducing CO2 lots, in short periods of time, and this drastically raises the pH in the blood after about 30 minutes of continuous cycles. You're essentially re-calibrating, not your brain's tolerance to let you go without air, but to actually KNOW exactly how much air it has, essentially syncing your CNS with your circulatory system. Or at least that's how I rationalize it in my head. The goal is to oxygenate hyperoxygenate, alkalinize and eventually anti-inflame, unlocking these primitive abilities to self heal. I sense a definite note a mood lift. I don't know if I'm losing brain cells or what, but that change over to a greater feeling of vitality seems to be self-evident to me that I'm undoing some sort of toxic state temporarily.

It is not easy though. The first twenty minutes I'm really trying to just make it to 1 minute of retention, and those first few cycles really get the heart pumping hard and I enter some uncomfortable head spaces. But it gets easier in subsequent minutes, and then finally when I get to about the 30 minute mark, there's a turning point where I can stretch it to 2, perhaps even 2.5 minutes of retention. I will combine the SE with it often, and I get such maximal laxity on the scalp around that 30 minute mark that my hair seems to darken and silken, it "luxuriates" if I may, seems like a term you'd approve of as a description. My hair just transforms from this practice. The results are short lived though, becasue maybe 20 minutes after I stop the cycles, the hair seems to go back to what it looked like before I started the session. Maybe that's actually in my head, can't say for sure. As for the showers, I must admit I'm not always excited about doing the cold in the morning. Sometimes I'm just not feeling and will take the warm shower. However, if I dare myself (a lot of my life involves daring, could you tell?) to do it, I never regret the cold shower. Ever since I saw your comment about how I towel my wet hair, though, I have lightened up on the pounding my scalp takes after a shower. I'm a little less aggressive with pounding my head over the towel. I think you're right---skin needs to be treated gently, as follicles are merely specialized skin cells. I shan't batter them and instead try to manipulate blood to the pericranial area in other ways. Hmm, I wonder how I could do that....maybe some more SE? :D

Arfan, my bro, hope to see some good news in your update man. A happy new year to you there, and hope all is well. It has been since September that I had a haircut, and its about time to do it again because I just want to press that reset button and look at the scalp again. Have you settled into a good diet and exercise program that you can live with?

Snaggy

Post by Snaggy »

Glad to see such great results! thats awesome! :)

For the Apple Cider Vinegar, did you use it as a rinse for your hair everyday and did you drink it everyday too?