[UPDATE with pic] SE: 4 months after the start

Questions and comments about this weird approach to hair loss
OhS

[UPDATE with pic] SE: 4 months after the start

Post by OhS »

Dear all,

this is my first post. Nice to meet you all.

Here's my situation: I'm 30, and since say 3-4 years I've noticed a slow - but now evident - general drop of hair quality. I used to have very thick and massive hair till the age of 25-26, then my hair started to look not so well as before. I've no bald spots or localized loss, but my hair is thinner, more difficult to comb, and I have a slight recession at my temples. My hair just doesn't look as good as before, not as shiny and luxuriant.

As this was becoming more evident, I decided I wanted to do something, and found this nice site. I started with the SE straight away (I belong to the 'lucky' people who have 'always' had control over their occipitalis), and it's been roughly three and half months. I know it's a very short time frame to tell any effect, but there's something different with my hair that I am experiencing, and I was wondering if others have had the same too.

Basically, my hair is more 'erected' (no jokes! :D). It just stands up more firmly, I can tell by looking at the hair in my forehead, it's like it's 'standing', I mean single pieces of hair, whereas before they would stay 'sat down'.

Could this be thank to the SE? Or maybe it's the yeast I'm taking (I am a big fan of yeast since 10 years or so).

Has anyone any experience with this? Is this a good sign?
Thank you
Last edited by OhS on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daveyreh

Re: SE: three and half months after the start

Post by daveyreh »

Hey OhS,
So I wrote you on another thread about this exact thing. Yea, you're not imagining that. I think in addition to the "erectness" of the hair strands, the SE can produce immediate pleasing effects because it can create some slack on key areas of the scalp skin that allow it "retract" into a smaller surface area, that can minimize certain thinner areas.

Let me just say that this notion is not based on any science experiment, just my intuition and observation after about a year of SE. I think that generally, when the scalp skin is more flexbile and healthy, its able to change morphology in ways we may not be fully aware of (though Tom may be well aware, though I've never seen any writing from him regarding the acutely improved aesthetics of scalp hair post SE save for describing it as "luxurious", correct me if I'm wrong). To me, right now, hair is all about the skin its coming out of. When I'm taking care of my skin with really healthy food and ample sleep, the existing hair coming out of my head just, SOMEHOW, looks better, the hairlines look clean and strong. And a key, quarter-sized danger zone right on the shine of my crown gets somehow buried visually with hair, maybe not the strongest, but is out of sight and makes it look possibly like non-MPB hair. When I'm not taking care of myself as well, this quarter sized area appears if I avoid my arguably clever hair-combing schemes typically adept at minimizing the impact of the spot. Daylight can get through and the hair that IS there seems weak and unable to provide 100% coverage. Why this is, I still haven't been able to articulate. I know it seems odd, because I'm comparing two situations that the same head of hair (same point in time, that is) would encounter. My thory is that the flexibility of the skin (and muscles) around the hair makes ALL the difference, and that being well hydrated and keeping optimal muscle tone of all muscles in addition to the occips and frontalis with a healthy diet is a substantial part of the formula.

Anybody have any input to this, in addition to OhS?
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

When I'm taking care of my skin with really healthy food and ample sleep, the existing hair coming out of my head just, SOMEHOW, looks better...
That should not be surprising. Good health habits are reflected in the way the hair looks. You see this in dogs and cats too. If the food they eat is good and they are well taken care of emotionally and physically, their coats sparkle. But look at the coats of these animals in war zones. It's pitiful.
I think that generally, when the scalp skin is more flexbile and healthy, its able to change morphology in ways we may not be fully aware of..

I don't know if the scalp exercise changes the morphology of the hair shaft, but I do know that after a session of the advanced exercise my hair looks strong - easy to comb and a lot of body. This is not my overheated imagination. It's a childish way of thinking I know, but when my hair looks good I have a surge of social confidence.
daveyreh

Post by daveyreh »

That's an incredible analogy, Tom, that I can relate to. Regarding the "morphology" I guess I am talking about the morphology of the skin on the scalp. I think the way the existing scalp skin is distributed around the skull influences the visual distribution. Maybe this is why the advanced exercise can make a head of hair look so drastically different in just 5 minutes.

Can I just say again thank you for sharing your techniques. The advanced exercise is probably my favorite. I start out a session with my hair feeling like straw, and five grueling minutes in, I have soft, somewhat conditioned-feeling hair that sits on top of scalp skin that has been warmed and stretched. Bizarre, but it works. I especially love pulling on the hair over the crown, it seems to give my entire hairstyle a reboot.
OhS

Post by OhS »

I haven't still got the material so I don't know exactly how the advanced exercise is done, but (for how impressionistic this might sound) I did notice that after a 10 minutes session of intense scalp exercise, alternated with scalp massage, my hair has more body, is more 'erect', like I said.

But here's the piece of news I wanted to share with you.

I'm posting a pic of my forehead. Can you see those two thicker pieces of hair (look at the red arrows)? I've been monitoring them for quite a while, maybe a couple of years, and the reason is that they were sort of point of reference to check my hairline. Also, they strangely were the only two that has remained thick in that area, in contrast to the other ones that got thinner. I know in the picture it doesn't seem so, but believe me, they are, and has always been since a couple of years ago, 'different' than the others around.

Now, that was my hairline. But look at its side (blue circled area)! There are a lot of new pieces of hair growing - or at least it seems to. I am pretty sure there was nothing there, and the two thick terminal hairs were as lonely as a cactus couple in a desert. It's been only 4 months with the SE... I'm having a hard time trying to believe my eyes.

Now, for completeness, here's what I'm doing for my hair:

1. Scalp Exercise, of course. A couple of dedicated 10 minutes-sessions in the morning and before sleeping, but I'm also keeping contracting occ & front basically all the time I think about it, for example when I work at my PC, when I read, when I walk. I'm doing it a lot. And I'm also varying the type: fast contractions, slow and intense contractions, 5 seconds alternate contractions, etc. etc. The feeling is pretty good as well.

2. Taking yeast. I've loved this food for years, but now I am trying to be more constant in its intake. One table spoon per day, plus I eat a few yeast tab like a candy every day. I think this food is really magic for hair & skin.

3. Taking pumpkin seeds oil. Read an article, some time ago, that seemed to indicate that this oil could reduce 5-alpha reductase. Don't know if it's true or not, but certainly it can't be THAT bad either. Here's the link to the article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4017725/.

4. In general, I've always had a very careful nutrition schedule. Love nuts & seeds & oils of many kind, a lot of fish but less meat, tons of beans, tons of fruit and vegetables and fibers (try wheat bran!), and I never basically eat refined carbs. My primary source of carb is beans I think, as well as whole cereals, like oat and rice (I'm not scared of carbs and I do eat a lot of them - but good ones).

5. I workout quite a lot. Always did.

In conclusion, I'm NOT trying to say anything absolute with this, like "I did so and so and therefore that's right." No, I'm not even 100% sure of what's happening yet. The thing is just that in the last 4 months (that is, since the beginning of my systematic hair care program), I did notice that my hair is indeed different. Something that I've noticed only recently is that they look good even after a few days of non-shampooing, and believe me, I hadn't seen such a thing from when I was 25-6. Back then I washed my hair once a week. In the last few years I'd have to wash them almost every day. I'm amazed at what's happening now.
Attachments
Hair.jpg
Hair.jpg (126.49 KiB) Viewed 11002 times
OhS

Re: [UPDATE with pic] SE: 10 months after the start

Post by OhS »

Here I am! (Back from a few months of silence, I know...)

It's been 10 months roughly since when I started with the SE. So... am I seeing some results?

Well... yes, I think I am. There are no miracles happening, but what I've achieved so far seems promising, and worth keep going. Also, something I have found pleasing was to get comments by people who knew me but didn't know absolutely nothing about neither the SE nor even that I was doing anything for my hair. That's nice. So I'll summarize as follows.

1) Hairline itself is pretty much the same. Templar area is where I have the most acute "V" shaping. Also I have a little bit of thinning in the crown area, which is only visible when my hair is wet, and under certain light conditions. By the way I don't necessarily see my hairline being the same as a bad thing, because it means that hair loss hasn't gotten worse since.

2) Hair thickness seems to have improved. I'm not measuring my hair diameter with digital calipers, but on average it seems to be considerably better. I'm pretty confident about this.

3) I managed to shampoo once every 5 days on average. I still can't hit the one week goal, but I am getting closer. This is actually the outcome that satisfies me the most about the whole SE enterprise.

4) In my forehead, there are new hair growing. Now: I can tell quite for sure that they are new because (as you see in the pic) I use those two thicker hairs as some sort of spatial point of reference, and I have a couple of new hair right below them (but I'm afraid that little can be seen in the pic). They've started growing about one month ago. As for the question to whether having a couple of hair more in that area does actually MEAN something to general hair regrowth, I don't know. Maybe it is normal indeed to have new hair growing up from a previously bald part of the scalp like that.

5) All the above being said, recently I've been thinking that it seems to me I had my worst burst of hair loss around 3-4 years ago (I was under heavy stress), and that my situation has stabilised since. That would mean that MAYBE my hair would have stabilised anyway, with or without the SE. I don't know... so many different variables...
Attachments
There are new guys there!
There are new guys there!
20170420_121928.jpg (233.96 KiB) Viewed 8277 times