Contraction of Occipitalis

Questions and comments about this weird approach to hair loss
Loulou

Contraction of Occipitalis

Post by Loulou » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Tom,
I have been doing the scalp exercises for quite some time now, maybe three years or so..... like I have said before they really help with growth in the back. I still am struggling with the top of my scalp. However, ever since starting to take iron supplements every other day and doing the exercise I am sharing, I do feel a difference.
I also want to share an exercise that I think helps for the front and top of the scalp because when I do it, I feel a tingling and an immediate rush of blood. It is called the "brow smoother" from "Flex Effect." It is an exercise that targets the frontalis and Corrugator Supercilii. I know that the SE targets the Frontalis too, but I don't get the same feeling up there as I do with this exercise.
The exercise is as follows:
"Place three fingers of each hand just above the eyebrows. Pressing firmly, move the fingers upward towards the scalp. At the same time draw brows down into a frown while counting for three seconds. Once reaching the scalp, firmly pull the fingers downward while at the same time raise brows and count for another three seconds."
Would like to know your thoughts on this Tom.....

Thanks,
Loulou
p.s. when flexing the Occipitalis muscle, I find my brows frowning without voluntarily moving my brow muscles....that is correct right since the Frontalis and Occipitalis are antagonistic?

Nonie

Re: Contraction of Occipitalis

Post by Nonie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Loulou wrote:p.s. when flexing the Occipitalis muscle, I find my brows frowning without voluntarily moving my brow muscles....that is correct right since the Frontalis and Occipitalis are antagonistic?
I do not think you should be frowning when you contract the occipitalis. Frowning uses the corrugators and procerus and you end up creating the 11's between the brows unnecessarily. When you contract the occipitalis, the frontalis should simply be relaxed and forehead smooth,, IMO.

Loulou

Post by Loulou » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:38 pm

I think you are right...after reading through a lot of the posts, it seems that frowning is counter-productive. I am not sure why that happens...
After about three years of doing the SE, I think I may have been contracting my neck muscles along with my occipitalis muscle. Does that weaken the contraction of the occipitals or is that ok, I am not sure...
I also, hear a crinkling sound, I always thought that was my scalp moving..Has anyone experienced the same thing?
I think it is about time I order the video :) Better late than never I guess...

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:54 pm

I also, hear a crinkling sound
There should be no noise when you are doing the scalp exercise. But sometimes there is a crinkling or cracking sound, even when you are doing the scalp exercise correctly. I've experienced it myself. This sound comes from a build-up of wax (cerumen) in the ears or even in just one ear. This wax, which is sometimes hardened (impacted wax), then scrapes against the eardrum when you are alternately contracting the scalp muscles. This scraping can actually start to hurt although it does no permanent harm. I had the ear wax removed three times in my life already. This solved the problem.

Nonie's comment is absolutely correct, "I do not think you should be frowning when you contract the occipitalis. Frowning uses the corrugators and procerus and you end up creating the 11's between the brows unnecessarily. When you contract the occipitalis, the frontalis should simply be relaxed and forehead smooth."

You wrote, "I may have been contracting my neck muscles along with my occipitalis muscle."

That is a habit that can cause tension and even pain in the neck and trapezius muscles. You have to learn to isolate the occipitalis muscles at the back of your head - to contract just these specific muscles when doing the scalp exercise. It's OK at first when you are trying to gain control of the occips to contract the neck muscles, but after control has been established, you have to relax these neck and trapezius muscles.

Loulou

Post by Loulou » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:51 pm

I have been doing the SE without frowning for the last few days and I think it is going much better and the vertical lines between my brows seem to be much better. I wasn't attributing the vertical lines i had to the SE because i had them before i started to do the exercise.
However, I still do not get obvious ear movement!!! Is this possible. I feel like there might be minute ear movement, but nothing obvious. But I am pretty sure I was doing the exercise correct all this time for a few reasons:
- I had gotten rid of all my horizontal lines on my forehead.....
- My hair improved quite a bit since starting the exercise a few years ago and hasn't thinned.....
- I went through the whole increased sebum when starting to do the exercise...
- I developed the crinkling sound in the ears and the pain and used to get it when doing the SE and went and removed the built up wax and the sound went away (even though still have a different crinkling sound sometimes now, but it is different, I hear it when flexing frontalis at the top of my scalp)......
- When started doing the exercise i used to experience the burn in the occipitalis muscle and i still do until now sometimes....

Kind of confusing :roll: .... Will be ordering the video to make sure...but have heard how much Tom's scalp moves in the video....just wondering how long did it take you to move your scalp like that Tom?

LOULOU

Nonie

Post by Nonie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Loulou, if it's any consolation, my ear movement is so minimal, in spite of my about 8 years of doing this exercise, that I seem to be the only one who can see it. Every time I've asked someone to watch me move my ears, I see them stare so hard that it looks like their eyes might get stuck crossed and most times people swear they can't see a thing...or look at me like I just announced I'm hearing voices. Every now and then someone will say they noticed a twitch...but they could just be saying that so I'll leave them alone. :lol: But whatever! *I* know they move, so there! And I recently discovered that they don't just move back but they also move up depending on which muscle I'm contracting...albeit so microscopically. I can't help it that other people are not special enough to see it. LOL

From the reasons you give that make you feel you're doing the exercise right, I dare say you are! And your positive results are proof enough, if you ask me. ;)

Loulou

Post by Loulou » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:59 pm

That is good to know Nonie :) I am pretty sure the same thing is happening to me. I am contracting both muscles but not getting any movement with my ears. Is that possible? I have read many posts where Tom says it isn't ! What is your input on this Tom?