Journal - 4 Months In

Questions and comments about this weird approach to hair loss
sanderson

Re: Journal - 4 Months In

Post by sanderson » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Hey Tom,

thanks for the comments. Yes I agree with you on gluten being a possible suspect for hair loss. I have read a post from another forum with research backing that gluten may even cause brain damage! Albiet slowly, but I know it is still poision! I stay away from it as much as I can, however, sometimes I have issues finding the right foods to eat. I know I do not get enough carbs. I try to eat a few potatoes a day, but outside of that, I am still very skinny. My apetite is just not there, I am working on it though. This fin stuff really messed me up royally. I am honestly doing everything in my power to try to beat it, I feel like it is my life goal right now to defeat it. I honestly have nothing in my life right now without fixing it. It's completely ruined a lot of things.

The hair life being 8 months, I read that on some hair information website going over the phases that you just talked about. I am not that familar with the subject, so I am going to go with your response being the correct one. I was basically saying that it takes a long time for the cycle so I am going to continue doing the exercise as I know it's a long cycle and this stuff takes time.

Regarding DETOX stuff, I honestly don't know what is wrong with me and why I still have fin side effects after so long. I do believe my body has issues detoxing itself overall. I am trying to basically help my body push out everything bad. I feel relaxed and clear minded when I do these things so I am assuming they are helping over time. I am really praying that this stuff kicks in. I feel like I am living in a nightmare with this problem, I only want to feel normal.

And yes, that video is great! I have watched it a few weeks ago and from the video I have started doing that neck exercise as well. I do have a weak neck and I believe it can help make it look better and stand up more straight from doing it. Your neck is very refined and in good shape in the video, I didn't know you could make a neck look like that until I saw your video.

Nonie

Post by Nonie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:28 pm

I am living proof the gluten/wheat elimination is one of the best things people could do for themselves.

Many years ago, I used to suffer from recurrent yeast infections. Started when I was 13. I know now that taking antibiotics as a kid didn't just kill the bad bacteria, but also killed off the good bacteria that keeps candida albicans, a fungus that lives dormant in all our guts, in check. This leads to an overgrowth of the fungus and hence yeast infections in women. If left uncheck, the condition can become systemic and symptoms can range from a fungal rush, to lethargy, to digestive issues, hair loss...you name it! There is a book called "The Candida-Related Complex: What Your Doctor Might Be Missing" which really explains just how extensive candida's attack can be. Well, for years I visited the OB/GYN for yeast infection treatment and urinary tract infections.  The antibiotics to treat UTI would cause yeast infection. So this had become a way of life. Then while in the UK at a doctor's office I noticed a pamphlet that had "Candida and MS" on the heading. I started reading it and learned of a naturopath in England who knew the nightmare I lived in. Only in her case, she had suffered abdominal pain as well such that the day she gave birth, she didn't realize she was having contractions. To her it was the same pain she endured for years. By changing her diet, she improved and got better. Now I regret not having read more about MS because now I am curious to know what candida or diet has to do with MS. Anyway, her suggestions was to cut out of my diet wheat, yeast, dairy, sugar, anything fermented, additives in food (eg MSG), beef etc (I recently discovered that the recommended diet was mostly alkaline forming although at the time it wasn't called that and all the foods I was to cut out were acid forming and inflammatory.

For the first month, all fruit were also forbidden and that included tomatoes. I was also to take an immunity-boosting multi-vitamin/mineral, garlic, caprylic acid (an antimicrobe found in coconuts), a probiotics complex and to include a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil in my diet either by cooking with it or in salad and an EFA. According to the pamphlet, when one would go through a "die-off" period where one's symptoms would get worse...and after that dark experience one would feel better than ever. And sure enough, I was terribly ill for about 3-4 days but it felt like a week. I imagine that must be similar to the withdrawal symptoms drug addicts experience when they quit drugs cold turkey.

I came out of the die-off period without a hint of my usual ailments but also my hay fever was gone. (My pollen allergy used to be so bad that I sneezed continually, ears and throat itched, was congested and had a runny nose, eyes itched and watered...you name it: I was the full definition of what hay fever symptoms were. I had to take antihistamines religiously to downplay some of the symptoms but I still had the blocked nose and occasional sneeze. Changing my diet cured me completely, and I haven't had hay fever ever since, nor have I needed antihistamines. Another thing I suffered from since I was a kid was eczema on my eyelids. It too became a thing of the past. I didn't mention that the reason I had gone to the doctor's office where I spied that pamphlet was I had developed a rash on the back of my left hand that looked like eczema but would not respond to eczema creams I had. I was told it was a fungal rash which tied in with the systemic candidiasis I was now sure I had from answering the questionnaire in the pamphlet. That rash too cleared without my using the steroid cream I was given. The pamphlet had suggested piercing a garlic capsule and applying the gel or applying a cream the naturopath/author of the pamphlet made (her contact info to order products was on it). The cream had hyssop and chamomile, if I remember correctly (not sure about the second ingredient...it might have beeb a different c word). For 10 years, I stayed faithful to that way of eating. And I was the healthiest I had ever been. Prior to this way of eating, I used to succumb to flu every winter, but not anymore since changing my way of eating.

In 2003, I discovered a couple or so bald spots on my head. Since discovering naturopathy and hence alternative medicine (I have a wonderful book called Prescription for Nutritional Healing) I tend to look to food first for answers to any health questions I may have. I was still eating the food that healed me but I noticed that every time after a meal, whether breakfast or lunch or dinner, my scalp itched something awful I the bald spots. By chance, one of my coworkers who has Lupus told me about how she found out the medication her doctor had been giving her was causing her to have candida overgrowth. This was in the US. No one I had ever met had ever talked about candida overgrowth so I was excited to hear something I found out in the UK was also known here. She told me she had had a blood test done which confirmed she had candida issues. I had no idea there were blood tests for candida issues. My understanding was that since everyone has candida in their gut, then a test showing it would not really tell us anything. (There is talk of the fungus mutating and the becoming a problem...so maybe that would make a difference in detecting it as the reason for ailments.) All the pamphlet I had had said was a history of one's health and answers to a questionnaire that was in it would be what gave a clue that one might have a candida problem. Since now I had a new problem or itching bald spots , I made an appointment with her doctor who has since been my doctor to get tested.

The blood test is done by Immunolabs. A doctor gets the testing kit from them which includes vials and some paperwork. He then draws your blood, has you fill a questionnaire and sends the completed kit and vials to Immunolabs. They test your blood on about 200 foods and in two weeks you get the results of your Bloodprint. I found out that the foods I was eating nearly daily were no longer agreeing with me. I had developed an intolerance to them. I also confirmed that yeast and dairy were still bad for me. I found I was OK to have sugar, wheat/gluten, but eggs, pineapples, lettuce, bananas...all of which I ate regularly were a no-no. When I cut these foods out, the itching bald spots stopped itching after I ate. I was also massaging into my scalp a concoction of essential and natural oils daily and doing the scalp exercise #5. In about 8 months, my hair had grown in fully in the bald spots. I share photos of that journey of regrowth in this discussion.

I have been getting the Immunolabs test done yearly or whenever I feel lethargic or notice a change in my stool or experience digestive issues. And it never fails that I always discover foods that I had been eating regularly for some reason had now become poisons to me. Cutting them out always seems to bring me back to normal. Immunolabs say to try to reintroduce the foods after 12 weeks but because they are usually several foods and their effect builds up slowly and I cannot be sure what exactly I am supposed to look for since I don't usually have a specific symptom but it's just a combo of malaise and maybe indigestion, I usually omit the food until a bloodprint a year later proves I am no longer sensitive to the food. I do notice that I tend to develop intolerances to foods if I eat too much of those same foods, which is further proof that "everything in moderation" is a good rule to live by.

Even on years I get the OK for wheat, I try not to make it a habit, even though I may eat a little every now and then. Buying gluten-free, yeast-free bread is a habit of mine and I haven't bought cow's milk since 1993. It is usually almond or hemp. I used to buy soy milk but after I developed an intolerance to it, I just never went back to it.

I do think a good rule of thumb is to vary the diet and to eat more of alkaline forming foods which happen to be anti-inflammatory and you should be OK. That a gluten-free diet has been found to be helpful even for autistic children I think says a lot. The website Better Health USA has a list of conditions that can be helped by a change in diet.

What I like about Immunolabs testing is the guesswork is taken out so you know exactly what to eliminate. Also you are given a lot of helpful info inx a colorful booklet with food plans, hiddedn ingredients to look out for, substitutes you can eat, etc.
http://www.immunolabs.com/patients/prod ... ood-print/

Here is someone else's review on the bloodprint testing:
http://www.healthylivingreviews.com/201 ... r.html?m=1

I wanted to add that once you eliminate offending foods, your body detoxes on its own without you having to jump any hoops...and your body starts to function so well. You also feel energized and rejuvenated. I highly recommend you go for the test.

BTW, I have never understood how detoxing plans that allow you to eat work. How can one tell that one isn't just bringing into one's body the same foods that made one ill? And then extreme detoxing plans like the Master Cleanse I consider just horrible. The cayenne pepper and lemonade to me are just too caustic to imagine consuming on an empty tummy...and the laxatives are just wrong to me...and the molasses are just a treat for candida. I cringe every time someone tells me they are doing the Master Cleanse to lose weight or detox.

sanderson

Post by sanderson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:28 am

hi Nonie,

great post and overview and you made some really good points. i actually had that same blood test done by immunolabs about 2 years ago to find suspecting foods that i had issues with. it really opened my eyes to see the immune response my body was making to different foods and i have been following it. what's interesting about the test also was that my naturepath told me that many of these foods have a delayed response. so you may feel the effects of the offending foods in the next couple of days instead of immediately which makes it even more confusing to someone that hasnt had this test done.

i just want to say overall that the reason i am doing heavy detoxing is because i am suffering from side effects from finasteride that have left my body with no libido and many other effects that i won't go into, but have made my life a living nightmare for the past couple of years. imagine if you wake up and your penis is completely numb and your genitals are completely shunk. it is very, very scary.

i am on the clean diet, i don't touch gluten, i don't take in offending foods, i take everything i am supposed to, i should have a normal functioning body. the extreme things i am doing is because i am left with no other options and i am doing everything i can to fix my body to make it go back to normal. things ARE changing, albiet slowly, but it is changing over time.

i am just doing what anyone would do, that is to fix as many body problems as possible to bring myself back to a normal state. i WILL get better. :)

Nonie

Post by Nonie » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi sanderson:

I'm sorry you're dealing with the side effects of a treatment you needed and wish you a full recovery. You already are on the right track because a positive mental attitude is an important ingredient in getting better as is being proactive and finding out everything you can on getting better.

I am sending positive vibes your way and a big hug...

Nonie