Journal - 4 Months In

Questions and comments about this weird approach to hair loss
sanderson

Journal - 4 Months In

Post by sanderson » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:36 am

Decided to make a journal to track my progress. I've been doing the scalp exercise now for 4 months. I know because I started in the beginning of March when my girlfriend broke up with me. This exercise is making me feel good about that. :D

I bought tom's DVD.. I recommend everyone check them out because they are very informative and well w

I'm not sure where I am on the norwood scale, but I'll add some pictures here. My hair is kinda long right now so you can't really tell how bad it is. It is worse than it looks in the pictures.

I'll try to get some higher definition pictures using a digital camera.

I've been doing the SE everyday basically for probably around an hour a day, actually probably more. I usually flex my back of the head muscles for at least another hour at work, although usually more. If I remember I will usually just flex it all day long. I work at a computer desk so no one looks at me. I only do the back muscles while I am at work. Then I go on two 10 minute walks everyday and I will flex the front head muscle and then the back of head muscles also as Tom does on his DVD's.

I didn't think anything was happening really with it, but I've just been doing it because I know blood flow is huge. Another forum I am on, someone is having a lot of success with doing blood flow type stuff so I am just doing it. However, I noticed recently I've noticed some success. There is a bunch of peach fuzz at my temples. The hairs are tiny, but they are definitely there. Some are tiny, but others are longer. They are more on my right temple than they are on my left temple. However, my right temple is receded more so maybe that is why. It is a good feeling to see all these tiny hairs there growing. Since they started growing, I've made sure to do A LOT of the exercise. My scalp is pretty loose when I touch it so that is good. I'd be happy if I could just maintain what I have at this point and keep my hair long. If I get even a little regrowth that would be good because the top of my head is starting to get worse.

I am still noticing I am losing hair around my head. This is what is bothering me a lot. I see progress, yet I am still losing hair. However, the itching has gone down quite a bit. Although, not 100%. I have pretty aggressive loss though because I took propecia in the past and it completely screwed my body up. I recommend you guys don't take it. It killed my libido and a bunch of other things, however, I am slowing getting over the side effects through basically extreme dieting and extreme research into supplementation, but it has induced some aggressive hair loss as the side effects start weaning off.

My plan with the SE is to keep doing it A LOT to counter the propecia shed that is happening.

Other observations I've noticed is my hair loss seems to be accelerated more now on the sides and back of my head. Why? I'm not sure. I have a weird shaped head, like it's almost lopsided. I think this is making my blood flow kinda funky all around my head as I'm doing this exercise. Like I get more loss on my right temple than on my left temple. I've even started noticing shedding on the back of my head where I've never even had shedding before. My shedding has ALWAYS been at my temples, now it's towards the back. Shedding seems to have gone down at the top of my head though.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that hair is not growing on top of my head and all around my scalp, but only at the temples. I feel like this isn't really realistic though because if it is growing at the temples, it is probably growing in other places. It is just difficult to tell because my hair is long, so I can't see well on the scalp. I've tried using a mirror to look at the scalp, but I can't tell if there is peach fuzz or not. I can see it more as I look at the temple and start looking at the hair line, but it is hard to tell.

here's the album of how my hair looks right now from my webcam, i'll try to take some HD's to see if I can get higher quality: http://imgur.com/a/13AMs

see you guys in another couple months.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Journal - 4 Months In

Post by Tom Hagerty » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:46 pm

...basically extreme dieting and extreme research into supplementation
I wonder what you mean by "extreme dieting." Some forms of extreme dieting that nutrition gurus recommend are not good for the health of the body or the health of the hair. I know that some of the "scientific" theories they expound sound convincing and there is usually some truth in what they say, but before going all out for an eccentric diet, make sure you do some study. Of course I may be misinterpreting your language and meaning completely.

And on the supplementation angle, my preference is getting nutrients from real food with supplementation just as an adjunct. But I can tell by the way you write that you are doing a lot of research and won't engage with the nonsense that many health gurus offer.
Attachments
Vitamin pills.jpg
The pill fantasy
Vitamin pills.jpg (13.52 KiB) Viewed 11395 times

sanderson

Post by sanderson » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Tom Hagerty wrote:
...basically extreme dieting and extreme research into supplementation
I wonder what you mean by "extreme dieting." Some forms of extreme dieting that nutrition gurus recommend are not good for the health of the body or the health of the hair. I know that some of the "scientific" theories they expound sound convincing and there is usually some truth in what they say, but before going all out for an eccentric diet, make sure you do some study. Of course I may be misinterpreting your language and meaning completely.

And on the supplementation angle, my preference is getting nutrients from real food with supplementation just as an adjunct. But I can tell by the way you write that you are doing a lot of research and won't engage with the nonsense that many health gurus offer.
Hey Tom, thanks for the reply back! :D

The "extreme dieting" is basically being super strict on HEALTHY foods. Also, I have discovered I have a few issues with what's called the methylation cycle if you are familiar with it. It's basically your body's ability to produce glutathione, the master antioxidant. I'm dealing with those issues, along with the unfortunate effects of post finasteride symptoms. I've had very low libido now for 4 years now.. kinda sad that I'm only 24. I'm doing everything I can to defeat these symptoms. The extreme diet I am doing is a low sulfur diet in hopes of resetting my system. I've managed to feel normal a few times, so I'm on the right track, but it's all very confusing and very new science. Many genetic doctors disagree with each other and unfortunately at the moment I don't have the money to do the extensive testing I need to.. so I'm doing a lot of self healing.

And yes you are right.. I do a lot of research! I agree with you 100%. Real food is WAYY better than supplementation. Much better absorbed. I've actually started to become quite paranoid of eating foods that have preservatives or are non organic. Even now I've started eating some non organic food the last few days because I couldn't goto whole foods and I am feeling quite down. I wonder if it has to do with it.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:37 am

The following is from Dr. Myhill's site:
The Methylation Cycle

Rich van Konynenburg's idea is that ineffective methylation is a major cause of fatigue. There are many possible reasons but those that he's identified for which methylation is essential to are:
To produce vital molecules such as Co Q-10 and carnitine.
To switch on DNA and switch off DNA. This is achieved by activating and deactivating genes by methylation. This is essential for gene expression and protein synthesis. Proteins of course make up the hormones, neurotransmitters, enzymes, immune factors and are fundamental to good health. When viruses attack our bodies, they take over our own DNA in order to replicate themselves. If we can't switch DNA/RNA replication off then we will become more susceptible to viral infection.
To produce myelin for the brain and nervous system.
To determine the rate of synthesis of glutathione which is essential for detoxification.
To determine the rate of synthesis of glutathione which is an essential anti-oxidant as glutathione-peroxidase. Furthermore oxidative stress blocks glutathione synthesis - yet another vicious cycle!
To control sulphur metabolism of the body, not just glutathione but also cysteine, taurine and sulphate. This is an important process for detoxification.
As part of folic acid metabolism. This also switches on synthesis of new DNA and RNA.
For normal immune function. The methylation cycle is essential for cell mediated immune function and blockages here will mean that infections will not be adequately dealt with. I know this clinically because many patients tell me that once they get on to their B12 injections (an essential co-factor for methylation) this seems to protect them from getting infections.
The overall effect here is that if the methylation cycle doesn't work, the immune system mal-functions, the detoxification system mal-functions, our ability to heal and repair is reduced and the anti-oxidant system mal-functions.

My comment: A regimen of micronutrient supplements is recommended to correct or to reset the biochemistry of the body. I'm skeptical about this recommendation even though at one time I was enthusiastic about pills after reading the Life Extension Books. I get my micronutrients from brewer's yeast powder, cod liver oil, plain low-fat yogurt with both live and active cultures, garlic, vegetables, and even lean meat for B12. It's possible, though, that a few supplements might be useful. I admit that I take a few.

Why are you limiting your sulfur intake? Sulfur which is found in eggs, meat, cheese, and other protein foods is essential because of its relationship with protein. It's important for the synthesis of collagen and keratin. Keratin is the tough protein in your hair, nails, and skin. That's why it's called the "beauty mineral." Unless there is a crucial reason, I would not limit my intake of sulfur.

sanderson

Post by sanderson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:22 pm

Hey Tom,

I have what's called a genetic mutation on the "CBS" dna snp. The CBS enzyme is responsible for breaking down sulfur in the body. With this genetic defect, sulfur is not properly metabolized and many nasty by products are created. I don't understand how finasteride got involved in this, but somehow it did. When I've gone low sulfur, I found I was able to sleep again, started feeling more like myself again, didn't have insane brain fog, etc. When I get my sulfur levels low (which I test every morning), I start feeling very good again.

But yes I agree, low sulfur is not good long term. It's been very difficult to be low sulfur. I'm losing so much weight right now. I was all ready skinny to begin with, now I'm getting worse. I think I may stop low sulfur for a week or two and try to put on some more weight, then come back to it.

Here's a site that covers over the CBS mutation if you were curious:

http://heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm#CBS:  Cystathionine Beta Synthase

thanks for the tips btw from rich. he played a huge part in methylation.

like i said.. all very confusing things. i'm doing whatever i can to get back to normal at this point.

btw Tom, regarding the scalp exercises, did you see your hair grow in on top of your head also outside of the temples? my hair on top of my head in the middle I see is starting to get really thin. I can part my hair and really the scalp well. It's very difficult to tell though if anything is growing there because hair is all ready there. However, I do see it on my temples though which is good... or did you notice itching locations changed? i seem to get the itch now on the sides of my scalp instead of on top of my head which is strange, but i think related to this exercise.. my scalp is incredibly loose compared to what it used to be

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:45 am

did you see your hair grow in on top of your head...?
I never had loss of hair at the top of my head. The only place I had thinning was in the temple area. But aside from my success with the scalp exercise when I was 19 years old, the real test for the efficacy of the scalp exercise is how my hair looks today at age 81 - it's still all there. I made this video a few days ago - Tom's neck exercise . It's in Spanish; I'll make the one in English on Monday. My hair as you can see is still naturally dark. I don't attribute this to the scalp exercise though. I attribute this to good diet - an abundance of micronutrients from real food.
did you notice itching locations changed?
I had a major itch in my scalp when my temple area was getting thin. The itch, as far as I can remember, was mostly in the crown area - a lot of dandruff too. All this went away several months after I started doing the scalp exercise. This is the first sign I had that the scalp exercise was having some beneficial effect.

sanderson

Post by sanderson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:44 pm

Tom Hagerty wrote:
did you see your hair grow in on top of your head...?
I never had loss of hair at the top of my head. The only place I had thinning was in the temple area. But aside from my success with the scalp exercise when I was 19 years old, the real test for the efficacy of the scalp exercise is how my hair looks today at age 81 - it's still all there. I made this video a few days ago - Tom's neck exercise . It's in Spanish; I'll make the one in English on Monday. My hair as you can see is still naturally dark. I don't attribute this to the scalp exercise though. I attribute this to good diet - an abundance of micronutrients from real food.
did you notice itching locations changed?
I had a major itch in my scalp when my temple area was getting thin. The itch, as far as I can remember, was mostly in the crown area - a lot of dandruff too. All this went away several months after I started doing the scalp exercise. This is the first sign I had that the scalp exercise was having some beneficial effect.
thanks for the reply Tom. I guess I will be the test subject then. :P

I've become a little obsessive since I've noticed some regrowth in my temple area. I literally flex the muscles in the back of my head all day at my job and then do the full exercise for a big part of the rest of the day. If this is going to give me back my hair.. then by god I will not stop. Great video.. you reminded my I need to learn Spanish which I am going to work on. At least 4 or 5 hours of the back head muscles and then at least 2 hours of the full exercise. Then I usually do all your exercises every other day or every day. I have noticed people have told me my color in my face has returned and I am looking better.

BTW, regarding the whole bloodflow system, another big reason I am becoming quite obbsessive with the exercise is I have seen another guy see pretty solid results with this that I wanted to link you before, but had forgotten. Check out this thread: http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/t913 ... hair#92992

It's a great hair loss forum which I think you will like. I've linked to you a couple of times from there as well. It's all natural supplementiaton on hair loss and trying to find the root cause instead of using chemicals, which is what I think your approach is as well. That guy up there has been doing brushing his head everyday and using a custom scalp relaxing thing to stop his loss.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:09 am

The photos are of excellent quality with no trick lighting effects. But the regimen might be a little suspect:
Since feb. 2012 I have been :

-Boar brushing with a mix of a $5.00 sally's beauty brush and a $1.00 flea market brush
-Scalp massages, and mostly stretches (pushing my scalp or bunching my scalp up towards the toop of my head
-No shampoo, rinse hair w/ cold water

For the past 3 months:
-Violet ray
-Emu oil
-Strap that holds my scalp loose for 2 hr. per day
-Regenepure DR shampoo 1x per week
The website itself has a lot of good biochemical information though. I just read many articles about supplements which might promote hair growth.

sanderson

Post by sanderson » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Checking in again. At this point, I have been doing this now for 7 months. I'm really happy I've stayed with it. I'm starting to get better at doing all the facial exercises and honestly these have helped my confidence a lot albiet losing the rest of my hair. I've been doing this basically everyday, always when I'm driving which is at least 20 minutes a day. Then I usually always do it at home or in other situations. I'd say I do about an hour of day of exercise 5, the scalp exercise, give or take 20 mins on some days.

Here's some things I have noticed: my itching has gone down a lot. I don't really feel the itch that often anymore. I used to feel it all the time when I ate random things, now not as much. Like I remember I used to always get it when I eat sugar type foods (like berries), but I just ate raspberries and it was there for a second, but then it went away fairly fast. Or when I eat avacados I used to get it a lot, but haven't been getting it from this. However, I do still feel it from time to time. But I do geniuenly believe it has been reduced which is good. Not sure HOW much it has gone down though, it's hard to gauge to be honest.

just like tom says, the frontal muscles in the scalp exercise hasn't caused any lines for me. and i have done it everyday a lot. i usually lift the eyebrows for less than a second then flex the back head muscles for a second or two and release then do the back head muscles again for a second or two. then i do the frontal again.

My hair has gotten in worse shape though over the past 7 months. I have pictures, but I prefer not to post them right now as they don't show any progress. (i will post them though as i start to make some solid progress over the course of this next year) However, a big thing that I know is that blood flow IS hair loss. My own grandfather did blood flow stuff and had great hair until he was in his 50s when he died. My mom even told me about it, with him rubbing his scalp everynight and massaging it. (did i mention this all ready? sorry if i did! lol) so this is kinda in the family with me, i know it' not internet mumbo jumbo.

my hair, you can start to see the head on top of my head. like its really losing its thickness. however, this has been happening over the course of the last 7 months and before that as well to be honest, it was just difficult to tell as my hair was way longer before. i have been doing the SE the entire time while losing this. i am really not that worried about it because 1, i know the average hair life is EIGHT MONTHS. i know it takes TIME to get new hair to grow. i know hair falls out when new hair starts to come in. i am not going to stop doing the SE because i know IT WORKS in bringing more blood flow and if hair is falling out from bringing more blood flow, then that is OK. the hair will fall out regardless if i don't do this, so i really don't have anything to lose (except my hair! lol.) what i am saying, is it is inevitable for it to fall out anyway if i dont do the SE, so i am going to keep doing it, as i truly believe this will work for me.

I have a complicated situation as my health is comprised right now from taking the 5AR inhibitor finasteride so I have aggressive loss at times when I try to reverse the side effects of this horrible drug. (i've been doing many things to try to change it, but one of the bad things about fin is that usually when people get off it, they experience the "fin shed" and go through an extreme shed. i think i am expericing this shed slowly as I try to reverse the side effects)

There are some positives here though that I have noticed.

1. my scalp at the top of my head is incredibly loose. it's getting to the point where it is almost as loose as the sides of my head. it's not as loose as the sides, but it really feels way looser than it did initially. when i first started, i could not even move it at all, now its an inch or two, not sure exactly how far it moves. if the whole hairloss problem is a tight galea, then I will be the test subject because in another year, the top of my head will be even looser and we will see for sure if that is the cause. :P at least see if new hair can grow.

2. i do have many little hairs at my hairline. now i just looked in the mirror and used one of those super powerful little mirrors and did find one hair that was black that is shorter than the rest of my hairs and it was at my hairline. so i know this is a new hair. not going to lie, i got a little happy because i just took pictures of my head and it didnt look good so when i saw that i felt a little relief.

now, the hairs are def. more concentrated at my corner hairline where the loss is the worst and most evident. but all of these hairs are blonde or light colored and not black, not sure of the exact color, but they are not the color of my actual hair, just like blonde or something. but they are without a doubt MANY of them at the temple. if these turn into brown/black hair like the color of my head, then i will be in business and hair loss will not be evident as it covers the entire area where my hairline should be, but so far that is not the case. but it is for sure many of them at the temple i know that for a fact.

outside of SE, i am eating very healthy. i only eat organic vegetables and fruit and make sure i get all vitamins/minerals using a calorie counter. i eat grass fed beef and i'm doing a lot of detox type stuff. betonite clay, iodine, probiotics, charcoal, to name a few. i have many supps in my aresenal for overall health that i am doing while actively trying to defeat my finasteride side effects. however, i know they help hair as well. at the end of the day, i really just want to fix my fin side effects as these have honestly wrecked havoc on my life, but i'm doing this on the side as well.

i think i will be adding in another blood flow type exercises as well. maybe hand massaging the sides or manual stretches up there using my hands or doing some inversion type work.

edit: holy shit guys. so i just went and did a little more investigative work into my temple area to see the progress. i found one hair where the bottom half of it was that blondeish/light color, but then the other half of it was black/the color of my hair!! so it was towards the tip that had the blackness on it. so cool. there was another one next to it that was longish also, but still blonde. that makes my count 3 hairs that look like they have made it. i am judging these 3 because they are shorter than the rest of my scalp and tiny. the one that is half blonde/half black though, i think that has to be a testament towards one of those blonde ones making it towards turning into black one!!

will keep you guys updated.. i'll be back to post again at probably 9 or 10 months, but i am usually browsing this forum at least once a week! :)

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:07 pm

I just want to make some comments about a few statements you made. And these comments will not be coming from someone who thinks he has all the answers for hair questions.
my itching has gone down a lot.
My itching, which was intense, also went down a few months after starting the scalp exercise. I don't know why this happened. Perhaps the better blood and lymph flow got rid of some of the toxins that were causing a mild inflammation. My diet did not change in these days. It was a nutritious diet because I was a bodybuilder and I believed all the stuff I read about nutrition in Strength and Health Magazine. But here is a new idea to consider: Could gluten found in wheat products cause itching? I just read Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD. In the book Dr. Davis makes some convincing arguments that this protein in wheat might cause an itchy scalp and even hair loss. He writes:
When caused by wheat, alopecia can persist for as long as wheat consumption continues. Like completing a course of chemotherapy for cancer, elimination of wheat and all gluten sources usually results in prompt resumption of hair growth, no surgical hair plugs or topical creams required.

This book by Dr. Davis has an amazing 2,455 customer reviews on Amazon.com, the majority giving it a five-star grade. But even though Dr. Davis presents good arguments for his case, I'm always highly skeptical of nutrition gurus who want us to give up a whole category of food, in this case wheat.
i know the average hair life is EIGHT MONTHS.
How do you know this? The hair cycle is a complex biological process: The growing stage, anagen, lasts between 2 and 6 years; the transitional stage, catagen, lasts about a month; and the resting stage, telogen, lasts about 3 months. What exactly do you mean by the average hair life.
i'm doing a lot of detox type stuff.
My opinion is that if your diet is excellent you don't need detox. Dr. Andrew Weil also believes this to be true. (Some nutrition gurus who sell detox products, though, think it's necessary for good health.) But you're trying to clear your system of finasteride. Since you've given up the drug some time ago, it's probably all out of your system by now.
a big thing that I know is that blood flow IS hair loss.
Blood flow is a factor but not the only factor. The scalp exercise certainly stimulates blood flow by strengthening the capillaries and possibly even by creating new capillaries in the scalp. But neck exercise might also be effective for getting good blood flow to the scalp. I'd like you to look at a video I just made about a neck exercise that will give you a clean-cut jawline but also will bring increased blood flow to the head - An Exercise for the Neck Muscles.