Wrinkles forming

Questions and comments about this weird approach to hair loss
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Wrinkles forming

Post by Tom Hagerty » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Occasionally horizontal lines do form on your forehead when you start to do the scalp exercise. The contraction of the frontalis muscle at the front of your head will make these line. The use of a film of oil on your forehead before you do the exercise will help prevent these lines from forming.

The good news is this: Once the occipitalis muscle at the back of your head is toned-up and strong, these lines will diminish or vanish completely. The reason is that strong occipitalis muscles pull up and back on the scalp, smoothing out any lines, both horizontal and vertical, in the forehead. Toned-up, mobile scalp muscles also get rid of contractures (permanently fixed muscles) which often form as a person gets older. Take a look at President Bush. His forehead muscles (glabellar complex) are in a permanent state of contraction. If he did the scalp exercise correctly his brow would be smooth.
Bush.jpg
Permanent contraction of glabellar complex
Bush.jpg (5.56 KiB) Viewed 6827 times
One important thing: Be sure you gain control of the occipitalis muscles. If you contract just your frontalis muscles, you will get horizontal lines. When you gain control of the occips, hold the contractiion for a second or two. This makes them strong. Never hold the contraction of the frontalis, and never frown when doing the SE.

mamaherrera

Post by mamaherrera » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:46 pm

When you first lift the eyebrows, (because I'm doing this and seeing horizontal lines forming, more than the one I have already to begin with). After lifting those eyebrows, should you immediately relax the frontalis, or wait until you contract the occipitalis and then relax the front?? I hate seeing how my forehead wrinkles up in many horizontal lines as soon as I lift my eyebrows. Once you get the hang, you can do this cleaning house or walking, right???

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:14 pm

should you immediately relax the frontalis?
Contract the frontalis muscle fast. Don't hold the contraction for even a second. When you contract the occipitalis muscle at the back of your head, the frontalis muscle will automatically relax. Hold the contraction of the occips a second or two though. This is the muscle you want to strengthen. A strong occipitalis will eventually get rid of horizontal lines in your forehead. Strong occips will also keep your whole upper face looking young and expressive.

Now if you are running for political office you might want a few lines in your forehead so that you look serious. If you look too glamorous people will think your are a lightweight and won't vote for you.
Attachments
Olympia Snowe.jpg
Senator Olympia Snowe
Olympia Snowe.jpg (8.46 KiB) Viewed 5394 times

Nonie

Post by Nonie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:30 am

mamaherrera wrote:When you first lift the eyebrows, (because I'm doing this and seeing horizontal lines forming, more than the one I have already to begin with). After lifting those eyebrows, should you immediately relax the frontalis, or wait until you contract the occipitalis and then relax the front?? I hate seeing how my forehead wrinkles up in many horizontal lines as soon as I lift my eyebrows. Once you get the hang, you can do this cleaning house or walking, right???
Hi mamaherrera:

Wrinkles are caused by the same repeated movement. What makes face exercises work to smooth out wrinkles, or in this case the scalp exercise is that instead of using the same old muscles at the expense of others, you engage new muscles--in this case the occipitalis--so that the previously neglected/disused muscles get strengthened and start to exert as strong a pull on muscles they are connected to thus opening them up from what seemed like constant contraction. So just as Tom stated, with time, your occipitalis will get strong and help your frontalis relax, and the concern you have now will be no more.

When your facial muscles improve in tone, they give the skin they are attached to elasticity so that you are no longer worried about making expressions since the opposite muscles to the ones used for the expression will exert a strong and opposite pull once you are done making the expression and return the previously contracted muscles to a relaxed state. Also you will find that the lines raising your eyebrows creates will become shallow as your muscles get stronger. Below is an image of my forehead and while I have only done the SE since 2005, I have done face exercises since the beginning of the '90's:

I do think you should not worry about lines showing when you make an expression. I think Botoxed faces with their lack of expressiveness are boring and look dead. What you should hope for is that once you finish making an expression (in this case raising eyebrows as you would when surprised), that your forehead returns to a smooth, relaxed appearance. If that isn't the case just yet, give it time; doing the SE well, alternating occipitalis contraction with frontalis contraction, will in due time make your forehead smooth when you are relaxed.