Drastic hair loss treatment reviews

Comments abut vitamins, herbs, incantations - anything helpful to hair
carl711

Drastic hair loss treatment reviews

Post by carl711 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi Tom,

Since you're the most knowledgeable person I know in regards to scalp muscles, I would like to ask you your opinion in regards to a procedure.

Interesting article on scalp muscles being responsible for hair loss. Do you think it's correct? - http://www.buism.com/hairloss.htm

Galeatomy - Is it as barbaric as it seems or is there some legitimacy to it? http://www.wellnesskliniek.com/en/hair/hair-loss

NickSE

Re: Drastic hair loss treatment reviews

Post by NickSE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:54 pm

The more I read on this topic the more I think there ISN'T a single factor that causes baldness. I see men with heads full of hair raising their eyebrows often. I also see men bald that never raise eyebrows. Baldness is a really complex topic, hormones have also a remarkable influence on that. Thinking that scalp muscle hypertrophy alone is the only or the main factor is at least naive. And if that's true what about all the people that had results from the regular Scalp Exercise?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:49 am

The 30 year-old guy with all those hypotheses about many things is Michael Bui (buism.com). He lives in beautiful San Jose, California, a great beach community south of San Francisco. On his website he expresses his theories about many subjects, including myopia, astigmatism, thought, cancer, sleep, and male pattern baldness. He says, "My ability to invent is hardly on display here but trust me when I say that it is my greatest strength."

He does have an extraordinary ability to invent but he is light on producing scientific facts to back up his inventions which he calls his "hypotheses." I tend not to trust him though. ☺

The material from the Wellness Kliniek is on a different level altogether. This "Kliniek" in Belgium features out-patient surgical procedures for the buttocks, tummy (as they call it), teeth, face, and hair (galeatomy). These procedures require cash up front. Insurance does not cover what the doctors do. By the way, the galeatomy is an illegal operation in the United States.

The theory behind the galeatomy is that a tight galea (galea aponeurotica) causes hair loss. But I urge you to read why on their website. If you believe what they are telling you, you might get relief from this hair loss condition by purchasing one of their package deals (transportation, hotel, and surgery). Also, read the testimonials from people who have had the procedures done. They are all glowing. It's good to know that the surgeons in Belgium are so concerned about the health and attractiveness of wealthy people coming to visit them from the United States.

I hope you know from the tone of this message that I don't believe much of what the people from the Kliniek are telling us.
Attachments
Wellness Kliniek operator.jpg
She'll answer all your questions
Wellness Kliniek operator.jpg (7.98 KiB) Viewed 6373 times

carl711

Post by carl711 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:11 am

All my life, I've been able to move my ears very extensively. Do you think there might be a correlation between this muscle being too strong which restricts the passage of proper blood flow to my head/hair? I also have a very thin, long neck which I understand might be a little hard to get the blood pumping all the way up there. I understand that everyone might have a different cause to their hair loss but is it something to consider or it's completely flawed?

Here's another one (More reputable one) based in Germany : http://www.hoffkliniek.be/haren-en-huid ... galeatomie

There are also some claims of using botox as a muscle relaxant instead of invasive surgery.

Anyhow, any tips and inputs on this will be welcomed.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:33 am

or it's completely flawed?
If you've read some of my articles you've noticed that I try to be fair in examining theories I don't agree with. I'm quick to realize that I don't have all the answers, and even the answers I do have are not written in stone. But my opposition to the theory of hair loss on which the galeatomy procedure is based is firm and it's angry. My opposition is firm because the theory does not make physiological sense according to modern research; my opposition is angry because professionals who know better are making a lot of money doing these useless scalp disfiguring operations.

I want to take some time sketching out the basics of the theory that was developed many years ago by Dr. Lars Engstrand, a professor at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden. He developed the theory in the 1950s. A good summary of the theory was written by Dr. Paavo Airola. Here it is:
According to Dr. Engstrand, baldness is caused by pressure on the capillaries of the scalp by a thickened tendinous membrane. This tendinous membrane, the galea, is located on the crown of the head, and covers an area of approximately 40 square inches, starting at the lower forehead and going back and on the sides to the approximate line where typical complete baldness stops. At the age of 15, this sheetlike membrane is only paper thin, or approximately 0.2 millimeters, in both sexes. In women, this membrane remains thin and elastic throughout life. In men, however, from approximately 16-18 years of age, the galea gradually becomes thicker and loses its elasticity. This continues until the age of 50-55, when it becomes stabilized and remains unchanged for about ten years, after which a degenerative process, linked to old age, sets in and the membrane again becomes thinner. Which explains why many bald men 65-70 suddenly notice some new hair growth development of previously bald areas.
When the galea becomes thick, it increases the pressure and tension on the scalp. This pressure leads to impaired blood circulation in the capillaries which are located just above this membrane, and which, among other functions, feed the hair follicles with the nutrients necessary for growth. The result - gradual diminishing of hair growth until the hair follicles are not able to produce more hairs and the skin is left bare.
Dr. Engstrand said that approximately 90 percent of male baldness is due to a thickened galea. This is substantiated by the fact that the bald areas are almost always located directly above this membrane, and don't develop farther than a quarter of an inch outside it. As a rule, from the outer edge of this membrane on, the hair growth is normal to a very old age.
According to Dr. Engstrand, even insignificant tension in the thickened galea will cause diminished blood supply to the hair follicles. He said that in cases of advanced baldness, the membrane may have increased in thickness 10 times, and will completely block the distribution of the blood to the capillaries above the membrane. Thus, hair follicles, deprived of their source of nutrition, will stop producing hairs and eventually atrophy.
I know all of the above sounds completely reasonable and logical - but it's all nonsense. Surgeons working at the klinieks who understand anatomy and physiology know the theory is nonsense too but continue to perform the procedure because the pay is excellent. I wish I had the time to go through all the points in the theory and criticize them one by one, but this would take a lot of time and space.

Your long neck theory is way off too. A long neck (unless you're a giraffe) does not mean weaker circulation. Your ear movement may come from just contracting the frontalis muscle at the front of your head. You also have to contract your occipitalis muscle at the back of the head if you want to do the SE right. Both contractions are important for maximum scalp movement.
Attachments
Galeatomy.jpg
A nice bit of work!
Galeatomy.jpg (10.99 KiB) Viewed 6352 times

daveyreh

Post by daveyreh » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:53 pm

Totally off topic at this stage of the discussion, and perhaps irrelevant to hair, but San Jose, a beach community, Tom? Haha Maybe you're thinking Santa Cruz. San Jose is a sprawling metropolis of America's awkward engineers (some of whom are my friends) and, inexpressibly, home of the San Jose Sharks haha...anyway, just sayin' :D

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:20 pm

I'm probably doing too much of that scalp exercise. That has led to the mental confusion about San Jose and Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz in right on the ocean. I can almost smell the salt air.