Thoughts on deep breathing exercises?

Comments abut vitamins, herbs, incantations - anything helpful to hair
Mjotter

Thoughts on deep breathing exercises?

Post by Mjotter »

I've been doing these series of breathing exercises twice a day for about 2 weeks. It apparently purifies the blood in your body and promotes blood circulation in the scalp. Well after about a week of doing them, I noticed that this little vellus hair around my temple has grown to be about 1 cm. It seems to be continuing to grow too and is even sticking up instead of looking dead and lifeless. I was just wondering if you have an opinion on breathing exercises.
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on deep breathing exercises?

Post by Tom Hagerty »

I don't know if breathing exercises stimulate the growth of hair but breathing clean air certainly stimulates good health. Of course breathing bad air has an opposite effect. In the Los Angeles area, where I lived for many years, the air is filled with noxious chemicals that can't be good for one's lungs or general health. And in whole areas of the country, like eastern Kentucky, where coal dust is in the air, it would be better not to breathe at all. :(

Almost every morning, except when the Ice and snow come to Ohio where I now live, I take a bicycle ride breathing in the fresh air of the countryside. All the early morning guys and gals on the bike path say hello to each other. Breathing in clean air while exercising I'm sure is good for one's physical and psychological health - even if it might not grow hair.
Mjotter

Post by Mjotter »

Well from what I read, deep breathing apparently stimulates the flow of lymph, which I see you have noted that the SE may accomplish this as well. I've also read that it increases blood flow throughout your body including scalp. Even if it doesn't regrow hair, I will still continue this practice because I already feel benefits such as being more relaxed. I think poor health could be a catalyst for hair loss so if deep breathing can improve health, then I think it could help with hair. Sometimes I do the scalp exercise in combination with my routine and I can feel this unique pressure in my head. I'm not sure if this pressure is a good thing but I see vellus hairs getting longer so I'm assuming it's positive. I'll give updates if I see more progress.

Also, another thing to note is I used to have these red spots along my hairline that would itch from time to time, usually in the mornings, before incorporating breathing exercises. Well most of that is gone now, but I still itch sometimes but definitely not as much as before.
felipe

Post by felipe »

What types of breathing exercises are you performing? Are they similar to the "breath of fire" or "yogic breathing" exercises?
Mjotter

Post by Mjotter »

felipe wrote:What types of breathing exercises are you performing? Are they similar to the "breath of fire" or "yogic breathing" exercises?
I'm not too sure about the names of the exercises but what I do is I sit with my legs crossed and breathe in from my nostrils until I can't take in anymore, hold it for a few seconds, and exhale through my mouth but making sure that I exhale all of the air. I do this for about 5 minutes. Another exercise I do is where I breathe really quickly in my nose and exhale forcefully out my nose as well for about 2 minutes.

The last exercise I do while standing. I cover my right nostril and breath in from my left. Then I bend over and put my head down, kind of like I'm trying to touch my toes. I hold it for about 40 seconds, get up and then exhale through my right nostril only. I do this for about 10-15 minutes and I do all of these exercises together twice a day.
felipe

Post by felipe »

That is very helpful, thank you. Ever since I read this thread I have been attempting the first technique you stated and it feels like I am getting increased blood flow to my forehead and the area around my ears, which I've seen is where the main veins and capillaries are so that is a great sign.

Also, how do you do the scalp exercise in conjunction with the breathing exercise? I find it makes my breathing irregular if I do them at the same time.
Mjotter

Post by Mjotter »

felipe wrote:That is very helpful, thank you. Ever since I read this thread I have been attempting the first technique you stated and it feels like I am getting increased blood flow to my forehead and the area around my ears, which I've seen is where the main veins and capillaries are so that is a great sign.

Also, how do you do the scalp exercise in conjunction with the breathing exercise? I find it makes my breathing irregular if I do them at the same time.
I usually don't do the scalp exercise when I do the breathing exercises, sometimes I may decide to do so. I used to do them with the exercise that requires you to bend over and hold your breath for a couple of seconds, when I held my breath I would do the scalp exercise and I could feel this real interesting pressure around my forehead. Maybe I'll continue doing them in conjunction with each other to see if anything happens.

I honestly think I'm starting to see a bit more vellus hairs. The lone hair strand near my temple that I was talking about in my first post has a few other darker vellus hairs sprouting around it. It's still in the early stages so I don't want to get too excited but I'm really hoping that I get some regrowth.
felipe

Post by felipe »

That is exciting. Do you have any pictures that you could upload?
Mjotter

Post by Mjotter »

Sorry, I don't like taking pictures but if I get some actual, definite regrowth then I will take pics. The problem I have is that my temples seem to still be getting worse while the vellus hairs on my forehead seem to be getting a bit darker. I don't seem to be able to achieve stabilization and I notice my temples itch sometimes in the morning when I wake up.
felipe

Post by felipe »

Hey Mjotter,

Have you still been performing the breathing techniques? If so, how has it been treating you?