Will my scalp get used to propecia

Discussions about Rogaine, Propecia, Dutasteride, Spirolactone, Azelaic acid, GLA, etc.
Bill C

Will my scalp get used to propecia

Post by Bill C »

People on narcotics need a larger dose of the drug to keep them happy as the months and years go on. Even though the hair follicles respond positively to propecia at first, will this drug tend to lose its effectiveness after a while. If this is true is there some kind of physiological explanation? What happens biochemically?

Odin

Re: Will my scalp get used to propecia

Post by Odin »

Bill,

I don't know if you will ever read this since it has been a fair while. but the answer to your question is yes, the body does begin to resist finasteride, i know this because it has happened to me, after about 2 and a half years finasteride is no longer affecting me and my hair is thinning out.

originally it caused my hairloss to stop and some significant regrowth. but i now noticed thinning and more hairline recession, i am also currently using topical minoxidil and have been since i began using finasteride.

Since they no longer have any effect (or they are still staving off a faster loss but no longer preventing it or promoting new growth) i plan to verrrrryyy slowly wean myself off them once i see results from the scalp excercise.

Having said all that i don't know if this happens to everyone and since it initially worked very well for me i do recommend trying it if you haven't already.

Bill C

Re: Will my scalp get used to propecia

Post by Bill C »

My experience has been the same as yours. It was a nice ride for three years on finasteride but the ride seems to have come to a halt now. I guess it is to be expected that the body builds up a tolerance for this drug or perhaps most drugs. I am not quitting the drug cold turkey though. I'm going to ease off its use and see what happens.