Looks like TE

Telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, hair shaft disorders, etc.
daveyreh

Looks like TE

Post by daveyreh » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:53 pm

Hey Tom and all---
I post again on here in a forum subtopic I never thought I would ever be active in. About 3 weeks ago, things changed on my scalp after 18 months of tremendous excitement about the hair I was growing and regrowing. It was like pre-SE, dull, lifeless hair easily falling out, except this time, I've been confident enough to comb my hair regularly, and thus, 6-7 hairs are coming out of my scalp with each stroke.

Its a consequence for which I'm pretty sure of the stressor: I abandoned almost entirely, eating healthy and returned to some other bad habits that I engage in daily, waking up hungover regularly. I have looked over the material on your site regarding pathophysiology of this, and on wikipedia, and I know what I have to do. My hair was looking just brilliant around November and December, and this is a recent development that is totally destroying my hard work. I understand telogen can take 3 months in the resting period. I understand that sometimes the hair fall I see is actually because a new anagen hair forced it out, but by the same token, I'm seeing weird short and grey hairs coming out as well that I've never seen before.

I still do the SE all day long, but I've backed off the advanced exercise. In your lifetime of doing SE, do you think you have ever had TE? Or any period in which you started showing signs of loss again? Obviously if you did you came back out of it with the hair you have today, which is plenty and darkly colored.

Most annoying question ever but you have always seemed a veritable water fountain of information compiled from people like me who are enslaved to the idea of seeing what they ca get away with: If I remove the stressors and recover on that end, and with still being about a Norwood 2 at the moment, what do you think is the recovery time for the hair that has been lost, and to get back to a healthy standard again?

Hope you're well.

daveyreh

Re: Looks like TE

Post by daveyreh » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:01 am

Actually, what I forgot to ask was the following: during TE, if you continue to do the SE, are you still protecting against follicular damage assuming you have the MPB follicles (DHT sensitive)? What is the damage report for follicles during TE?

THat said, the shedding cut down massively today, woke up with softer hair after cranking out a 3 hour session last night. THis whole hair journey is far more philosphical than I ever thought it could be.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:31 pm

The scalp exercise will never damage hair follicles or turn anagen follicles into telogen follicles. If you really have telogen effluvium, something must have triggered it. When your hair is healthy, about 10 percent of the hair follicles are in the telogen or resting stage of the hair cycle. When you have telogen effluvium, the percentage of hairs in the resting stage is much higher. Poor diet and bad health habits are the usual suspects in triggering TE.

daveyreh

Post by daveyreh » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks for your response, Tom. I might be overreacting, I just suddenly started seeing the hair look frail, and falling easily. Especially from the crown. I've promptly press the reset button. Don't get me wrong, I still have healthy hair, mostly on the left side of my head (front to back) but looks thinner on the right. Whether its out of control cortisol or lack of proper nutrition, it manifests as the same thing, doesn't it? Back at it. Want my hair back, for good!

Schoenes wochenende :D German for Have a good weekend...

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:41 am

Whether its out of control cortisol or lack of proper nutrition
It's easy to focus on just a few things when there is a problem. I do it myself. Out of control cortisol or lack of proper nutrition can indeed make your hair look frail; a stress-free day, nutritious foods, and the scalp exercise can make your hair look luxuriant. I wish I had the proper balance of things to do so that you would have a good weekend. It's really true, though, that lively, thick hair gives a guy the confidence to get out there and enjoy the weekend. ☺
Attachments
Guy and Girl.jpg
A nice weekend
Guy and Girl.jpg (8.05 KiB) Viewed 2911 times