Crash diet hair loss

Telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, hair shaft disorders, etc.
jacob

Crash diet hair loss

Post by jacob »

Dear Tom, I am 37 yo male.
During period of two months October 10 - December 10 I lost 30 pounds from crash diet, eating mainly fruits... ( from 231 to 200), I am 6 foot.
First time I noticed hair loss is December 15, immediately started to eat normally, added omega 3, some B complex.. My scalp was itchy till January 15. At the end of January things settled down, I lost at least 100 hairs during showering that time, pillow was hairy(combined 200 hairs at least..), now I lost max 20 at showering. Saw a dermatologist, she looked by microscope and saw no miniaturization. My family balding history is perfect. My mums family, dads family..no hair loss. My granddad died at age of 93 with full thick hair. Now is starting April but I don't see some substantial regrowth. What would be prognosis, and what to expect in the future?? I will add some pictures later, my hair is uniform thin everywhere, possibly more slightly on top.. I am worried... what are real expectations, what to expect in future ? Do hair follicles die so easy??
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Crash diet hair loss

Post by Tom Hagerty »

I lost 30 pounds from crash diet
Losing weight quickly is a major trigger for telogen effluvium (TE). Crash dieting can starve the hair follicles of the vitamins, minerals, and amino acids they need in order to grow. TE can develop slowly over several months. It is a diffuse loss of scalp hair, not the kind of pattern hair loss one sees in anagen alopecia. But the big problem with TE is that it can take a long time to recover from this type of hair loss. It can take many months, even over a year.

A nutritious diet can speed up the recovery. Real foods loaded with vitamins and minerals (like iron) are much more beneficial than the "active" ingredients in supplements. Take a look at my Anti-inflammatory Diet page for ideas about nutritious foods. What can slow down your recovery is smoking, junk food, and an unhealthy style of life.
she [your dermatologist] looked by microscope and saw no miniaturization.
That most likely indicates that you have telogen effluvium. Miniaturization indicates a high probability of anagen effluvium - a more permanent form of hair loss. TE is not considered a permanent form of hair loss.
jacob

Post by jacob »

Tom,

thanks on your reply.
I Know it needs time, 3months passed after active shedding, so basically some noticable results will be around August, September.
Interesting, after my head hair thinned, I had episode in which I lost my chest hair, I could easily pull 50-60% of chest hairs...strange..now chest hair is ok, cannot pull any. For months I didnt see any hair growth, I see some sprouts, but not significant..yet.

Time will tell..
Oliviab

Post by Oliviab »

Hi, for two weeks (from late last month until early this month) I went through a period of relatively low eating (I also got sick in the second week which didn't help my appetite). After the 2 weeks I went back to a normal diet, but I noticed that I had lost <1kg (not exactly sure how much). Do you think that this could onset TE? I've had it before, but that was after losing 10kg on a no-carb diet that lasted for 3 months.

If it is going to happen, would the resting period for the telogen hairs be the same as the first time I had TE (it took 3+ months from the time of the trigger for my hair to start shedding)? I'm really hoping that's the case, as I am traveling in a month and don't want the shedding to start while I'm overseas (wishful thinking)

any input is apprectiated :)
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

for two weeks (from late last month until early this month) I went through a period of relatively low eating

It usually takes two, three, or even four months from the time of the crash diet trigger before you see any telogen effluvium shedding. Your "two week crash diet" ended just a short time ago. I doubt if that was the real trigger for you hair loss. And two weeks of restricted calories is not my idea of a crash diet.

Now if you are traveling and are stranded in the wilderness for forty days and forty nights without food, that might be a trigger for TE. But I'm sure on you overseas adventure you'll have plenty of good food. And I hope you have plenty of fun and no further loss of hair.
Attachments
Oh happy day
Oh happy day
Travel.jpg (8.87 KiB) Viewed 19779 times
Oliviab

Post by Oliviab »

Thanks for replying Tom.

It's great to hear a knowledgable perspective on the issue. Keeping positive hair thoughts for the next couple of months and definitely trying to eat plenty of protein and fats from now on :)