Allergic to...?

Telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, hair shaft disorders, etc.
Carybear

Allergic to...?

Post by Carybear »

I've noticed that when I consume salmon more than twice a week on a long-term basis say, over three or four months I notice a lot more shedding. Has anybody else experienced this kind of thing?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Allergic to...?

Post by Tom Hagerty »

when I consume salmon...I notice a lot more shedding.
In certain kinds of salmon, especially farmed salmon, there is mercury. If you will type "mercury and hair loss" into the Google search bar, you will find many articles on this subject.

Carybear

Post by Carybear »

I had been eating wild pacific. I think there's something else involved. Maybe salmon affects my thyroid, maybe I am allergic to astixantin.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

Maybe salmon affects my thyroid, maybe I am allergic to astixantin.
People who are allergic to shellfish and red salmon are often allergic to Astaxanthin. Check out this web page - WebMD.

Astaxanthin is one of the few supplements I take. I get the 5 mg softgels from Puritan's Pride. It's a powerful anti-oxidant and has many other health benefits too. Of course if you are allergic to it, don't take it or eat red salmon or shellfish.

On WebMD this is listed as a possible side effect: "Astaxanthin may hinder an enzyme called 5-alpha-reductase. As a result, it may keep testosterone from changing into the hormone DHT in the body." DHT is implicated in male and female pattern hair loss.