terminal hairs falling

Discussions about the diffuse thinning experienced by women, usually after menopause
Loulou

terminal hairs falling

Post by Loulou »

I have been doing scalp excercises now for exactly 12 months. I have seen great improvement in the thickness and color of my hair. The hair strands are thicker and more pigmented all around my scalp. However, I seem to notice, all over my scalp, and especially in the front of my scalp that SHORT thick terminal hairs are falling. I have many terminal hairs sprouting all over my scalp taking place of those that fall too early. I don't quite understand what is happening. I know that thin, intermediate or vellus hairs fall out early, but doesn't the fact that these hairs have become terminal make them have a longer anagen phase automatically? Can hairs still have a short anagen hair but be terminal? I would really appreciate an asnwer.
Loulou

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: terminal hairs falling

Post by Tom Hagerty »

But doesn't the fact that these hairs have become terminal make them have a longer anagen phase automatically? Can hairs still have a short anagen stage but be terminal?
If your hair is looking better, I don't think you have to be concerned about the short anagen syndrome. The short anagen syndrome can mean two things: (1) More hairs than usual are entering into the telogen or resting stage of the hair cycle, or (2) the anagen or growth stage of the hair cycle is becoming shorter.

When a person is younger the anagen stage can last between six and ten years. Young women can grow hair down to their waist. But as a person gets older the anagen stage gets shorter. A really old person hardly needs a haircut anymore. Just because a hair shaft is terminal does not guarantee it will have a long growing period: some terminal hairs grow only a year or less before cycling into the telogen stage and falling out.

daisychain

Post by daisychain »

I have heard that face exercises can also help improve blood flow to the scalp and help with hair loss. Or is a shampoo or treatment the better way to go?

mamaherrera

Post by mamaherrera »

About those intermediate hairs, shorter and thinner, we freak out, right? But isn't it normal to have some intermediate hairs? I was reading an article that said a normal scalp has a 6:1 ratio of terminal to intermediate hairs, where an AGA scalp has a 3:1 or lower. and with those intermediate hairs, is it worse or better that they have tapered ends?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

and with those intermediate hairs, is it worse or better that they have tapered ends?
Tapered ends means that the hair shaft has not been cut yet. A hair only three or four inches long with tapered ends that falls out indicates that this follicle is short cycling. If many hair follicles in your scalp are short cycling, this is not a good sign - no celebration.

mamaherrera

Post by mamaherrera »

Is it really true that a hair follicle only produces 10-20 times in a lifetime Because if it 's true, someone who has CTE, it doesn't seem like there's AS much hope in getting luxurious hair back because how many timse have those hair follicles reproduced just in that 3 years of CTE and regrowing intermediates and such!! Also,I dont' haev many vellus hairs but have noticed hairs six inches long, which isn't bad, not complaining, but still . . . that means they only grew for a year, which isn't normal still for anagen phase. And these hairs were from my bang area. Does anyone have any thoughts on why that is happening . . . is that also short anagen syndrome, and what can be done for short anagen syndrome. When you said not to worry, because my hair is also looking better, but still see many hairs 5-6 inches long. \if it's not perhaps short anagen syndrome, what could it be

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

Is it really true that a hair follicle only produces 10-20 times in a lifetime?

Every hair follicle goes through a complete anagen-catagen-telogen cycle 10 to 20 times in a normal human lifetime. A normal anagen stage lasts 3 to 10 years, a normal catagen stage 2 to 3 weeks, and a normal telogen stage 3 to 4 months. At any given time, about 85% of hair follicles are in the anagen stage, 1% are in the catagen stage, and 15% in the telogen stage. The 20 or so cycles are usually enough to get a person to about 90 years of age. With short-cycling don't count on reaching 90 years of age with all your hair intact.

I hope someone else can answer your other questions.

felipe

Post by felipe »

Hey loulou, do you have before and after pictures detailing your results? If so could you possibly post them?
Thank you.

Loulou

Post by Loulou »

I do not have any pictures pre SE, so it would be kind of senseless to just post some post SE. But I can tell you with complete honesty, that the SE do work!!!