Eating disorder + hair regrowth... Please help!!

Discussions about the diffuse thinning experienced by women, usually after menopause
winnifred17

Eating disorder + hair regrowth... Please help!!

Post by winnifred17 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi all,

I am in constant despair...I became more active in college and restricted calories so I became underweight. As a result, my hair has become very thin (each strand has become a lot finer) to the point where it has half the density it used to, and my eyebrows have become very sparse. I am very sad about all of this. I have been at a normal weight now for about 7 months and have been eating healthy and regular meals but have not seen any improvement in my hair. I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and knows how long it will take for the hair to grow back as thick as it used to? I am very worried that I have ruined my hair forever and it will not go back to how it used to be. Please help!!

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Eating disorder + hair regrowth... Please help!!

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sun May 20, 2018 10:04 am

You will read comments like these in magazine articles: "While there is no way to change the texture of the hair, there are many things people can do to make the hair appear thicker." Maybe this is true in many cases. If a person is old, if a person has bad health habits, if a person is under continuous psychological stress, perhaps hair thickening tricks might be the only recourse.

But I've seen in myself and in others how the scalp exercise and a nutritious diet can improve the health of the hair follicles, which are the engines that can produce a thicker hair shaft. The problem is, though, that a program that promotes the health and possible transformation of the hair follicles takes time - a lot of time. Sometimes over a year. And succes is not always forthcoming.

Men, these days, can shave their scalps and look presentable. Women can't do that. Well, I guess some women can, but in general a shaved head, unless in a theatrical person, looks a bit scary.

Sinead O'Conner.jpg
Weird in a woman
Sinead O'Conner.jpg (4.13 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
I know what I would do in your situation. I'd do the scalp exercise, eat healthy food, and keep stress at a low level - and see what happens.