TE I hope!

Discussions about the diffuse thinning experienced by women, usually after menopause
Dvent1111

TE I hope!

Post by Dvent1111 »

I have been going through what I think is TE since going off birth control, having low Vit D (level was at 20) and having my levothroxine meds up'd from 75 to 88mcg. This all happened in January and I noticed my shed start end of March- I didn't start counting until June and washing every other day I was losing about 200+ and non wash at least 60- August it started to lessen, about 160 on wash, 30 no wash and september even less 120 on wash, 30 non wash- Come early October I am at about 80-100 although I fluctuate, so I think I am near my end (fingers crossed!) Probably TMI but I had my first normal period in August, and September and this month it is less.
I shed long normal hair and shorter thinner hairs (about 2-3 inches) and some medium hairs up to 5 inches. I had a thinner patch in the front and it seems to be filling in ok. (photo attached from when it was at it worst and then now)- Is my shedding abnormal hairs mean I am still in TE or is it AGA? I assume TE doesn't discriminate on which hairs it chooses to fall out....The majority of the hairs are long thick ones but say out of 100 I have about 10 abnormal (give or take)
Any help would be great! Thank you Tom!
Attachments
July 1 2104 and October 17 2014.JPG
July 1 2104 and October 17 2014.JPG (229.03 KiB) Viewed 31034 times
Dvent1111

Re: TE I hope!

Post by Dvent1111 »

I should also mention I am 39 and have gone through 2 TE's before (after I had my kids) Today after I washed my hair my shed was way down from 2 days ago, about 60 or so (It fluctuates each wash, but the past few weeks under 100) and I shed normal long hairs with blunt ends, some thinner wispy super short (like 1"-2") and some long hairs (measured 13 inches) with tapered end, My hair is about 15" long - Could this still be TE doing this? or am I doomed :(
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

my levothroxine meds up'd from 75 to 88mcg.

Before get into the TE thing I'd like to know why are you on Levothyroxine. Do you have hypothyroidism? If so, when did you find out you had it? How long have you been on the drug.

My thyroid is OK but I still pop a sea kelp tab every day. It has 150 mcg of natural iodine. And this kelp is harvested a long way from that nuclear accident in Japan.

Get back to me on the thyroid situation and I'll get back to you on the TE. I'm sure you know that hypothyroidism is not a good friend to luxuriant hair.
Attachments
Don't worry, I don't push this.
Don't worry, I don't push this.
Foods for the thyroid.jpg (10.07 KiB) Viewed 31022 times
Dvent1111

Post by Dvent1111 »

I have been on Levo since I was pregnant with my first child so about 5.5 years ago- the dose has changed numerous times (having 2 kids and nursing each for a year) My parents and my sister both are on levo as well. I would LOVE to not be on the meds- Its the only medicine I take every day.
thank you Tom
Dvent1111

Post by Dvent1111 »

I will try anything to help my thyroid!!
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

I will try anything to help my thyroid!!
Type "natural ways to combat hypothyroidism" into the Google search bar and you'll find a lot of material - almost too much. Read what Dr. Weil writes on the topic. His advice is always rational. Some alternative healers give advice that seems based on wishful thinking. Also read Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis or look at one of his videos on YouTube. He doesn't deal with hypothyroidism specifically but his dietary suggestions might help the condition.

Instead of giving you a link to the ad-ridden Keratin.com website, I'm just going to print out Kevin McElwee's thoughts on hypothyroidism:
Hormone associated effluvium

Abnormal over or under production of hormones can have a profound effect on hair follicle activity and the quality of hair produced. Even a temporary imbalance of hormone levels in the body can lead to anagen or telogen effluvium type hair loss. Hair growth is usually restored once the hormone levels have been returned to normal levels.

Hair follicles are particularly sensitive to concentrations of thyroid gland derived hormones. Thyroid hormones have a global influence on the cellular metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, lipids and minerals. The cells of the hair matrix, due to their high degree of metabolic activity, are most profoundly influenced by the deficiency or excess of thyroid derived hormones.

Hypothyroidism

Up to 50% of hypothyroid cases involve diffuse telogen effluvium type hair loss and occasionally anagen effluvium too. At first the hair loss is usually limited to the scalp but later, hair loss may spread to the eyebrows, chest, arms, and leg hair. Sometimes diffuse loss of pubic hair may also occur. Losing the outer one third of eyebrow hair is a distinctive symptom of hypothyroidism called “Hertoghe’s symptom” However, this symptom is only found in 25% of people who have hypothyroidism.

Sometimes, hair loss is the only apparent symptom of hypothyroidism and the dermatologist is the first to diagnose and treat the condition. Hair loss due to hypothyroidism is diagnosed with the help of blood tests to identify deficiencies in concentrations of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), thyroxin, and other thyroid gland controlled hormones.

Hypothyroidism can be controlled by providing patients with hormone supplements. When the hormone deficiency is successfully rectified, hair regrowth usually occurs although it may not be complete regrowth. Hormone supplements used to treat hypothyroidism can be synthetic manufactured drugs or naturally derived from animals. Some dermatologists claim the natural hormone supplements are superior for promoting hair regrowth.

Sometimes the onset of hypothyroidism promotes androgenetic alopecia. A drop in thyroid hormone production means a reduction of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SBHG) concentration in the blood. SBHG is important in reducing the activity of testosterone. With reduced SBHG levels, more testosterone is available for conversion to dihydrotestosterone and adverse impact on androgen sensitive scalp hair follicles. This may be another reason why some people have incomplete hair regrowth despite successful treatment of their thyroid hormone deficiency.
If I had hypothyroidism I'd do anything to escape the daily medication ritual. Perhaps there is no escape but I would do a lot of research before I gave up. Doctors, even the best, prescribe medications. And it's hard to resist the well-meant pronouncements of an authority figure like a doctor. In the community where I live some women are on a half dozen meds. They would be insulted if someone would question the need of all these. Of course being a nice guy I would never questions this. But I hope that you might question your long association with Levo.

The best site I've found for the side effects of prolonged use of specific drugs is Drugs.com. Take a look at this page. I'm not anti-drug. If I needed a certain drug I'd take it. But I'd do a lot of research just in case there was an alternative approach.
Dvent1111

Post by Dvent1111 »

Thanks Tom. I will certainly look into natural ways to help the Thyroid. When I was on the birth control pill (tri Sprintec) I didn't notice any hair loss (that I can remember anyway) Do you think it is possible that being on the pill helped with the hormone stability? My body is gradually getting back to somewhat "normal" ( 9 months later) and perhaps the small dosage change in my Levo along with coming off bcp could make my hormones crazy for a bit, but slowly get back on track?
I am nervous about this that you posted:

"Sometimes the onset of hypothyroidism promotes androgenetic alopecia. A drop in thyroid hormone production means a reduction of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SBHG) concentration in the blood. SBHG is important in reducing the activity of testosterone. With reduced SBHG levels, more testosterone is available for conversion to dihydrotestosterone and adverse impact on androgen sensitive scalp hair follicles. This may be another reason why some people have incomplete hair regrowth despite successful treatment of their thyroid hormone deficiency."

If my levels are stabilizing and it's the correct levels my hair loss should stop right? Or can the pill LEVO cause hair loss as well?
Argh what a nightmare!
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

With reduced SBHG levels, more testosterone is available for conversion to dihydrotestosterone and adverse impact on androgen sensitive scalp hair follicles.
I think that Kevin McElwee is mostly talking about males here. Testosterone is secreted from the testes in large amounts. If it is "bound" by SBHG it can't be converted into DHT. Just a small amount of T is secreted by the adrenal cortex in females. This miniscule amount converted into DHT in women's scalps has virtually no negative effect on the hair follicle. Of course some women produce more testosterone than others.
Testosterone queen
Testosterone queen
High Testosterone1.png (121.49 KiB) Viewed 30995 times
But I can't write about endocrinology issues with any authority. New information generated from research is appearing monthly in the journals. I wonder if you'd get a response from the people who make Levo if you sent them an email. And I wonder if the response would be just marketing jargon. You can send the company an email from their website. Synthroid is the same as Levothyroxine.
Dvent1111

Post by Dvent1111 »

HAHA such an ummm interesting photo? Eek!
Thanks again Tom!

It is very much appreciated that you donate your time to helping people with these crazy issues!