MPB in women??

Discussions about the diffuse thinning experienced by women, usually after menopause
mamaherrera

MPB in women??

Post by mamaherrera »

I have always had a high forehead and what might look like some a "receding" temples hairline. I can include pics if desired, since I was in my teens for sure. I don't have any pics of younger to verify. But now I've had a dermatologist who looked at my before pic and my "now" pic say that it looks like it's receded because of the fine hairs he sees in that area (from a picture). Other dermatologists have told me that women don't recede in that same pattern as men. so now I'm confused and worried more than ever. Isn't it normal to have finer hairs/shorter hairs in the temple area, and what do you think about his diagnosis. Thank you.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: MPB in women??

Post by Tom Hagerty »

Other dermatologists have told me that women don't recede in that same pattern as men.
This is true. Women don't recede in the temple area the same way that men do. It's usually men who have those fine vellus hairs in the temple area as they get older. When women start to lose their hair it is usually not in a pattern; the loss is diffuse - all over the head equally.

This is not an adequate answer to your questions but I don't know anything informative to say.

mamaherrera

Post by mamaherrera »

Tom, I sincerely appreciate your opinion. I regard you as someone highly knowledgable in this topic. All do respects, truly. I wasn't looking for a diagnosis as I know you don't do that, but I was more or less trying to evaluate this dermatologist's answer that he gave me after seeing pics of my temple area in the computer. And I find more dermatologists say women don't go in that pattern as men do, so maybe not to stress and freak out by his remarks. I have gone way way down in the amount of shedding thank God. Still I find a couple intermediate hairs, kind of kinky and 4-5 cm in my washings, but out of 50 hairs, there are only two of those, so it's not a lot. I see a lot of short, hairs in my bang/temple area, but I know you do say CTE can hit harder in those area for women, so maybe my temple area looks more "thinned" because it tends to be thinner to begin with. But then as always with hairloss, everyone can say that 3.5 years of CTE, there's always that chance it could've set off early AGA (I"m 33) Not a spring chicken, I know. I guess besides scalp biopsies, all I can do is wait this out and see if it stays the same, improves, or . . . you know the other word. My part line looks the same, no matter where I make it, behind my head, the side, to the front, etc. so I guess all I can do is eat well and stay hopeful. Thanks, just wanted to know. I do hear lots of women though, who say they have AGA and that they recede at their temples, but then you wonder if they are diagnosed correctly. That's what made me worry when I heard that others were saying their AGA started in the temples.

mamaherrera

Post by mamaherrera »

I was just informed that my ferritin is still at 22. I take a prenatal (I'm pregnant) but how could I try and raise that with diet?? would red meat three times a week be sufficient?? I still find like two thinner, lighter colored kinky hairs in my sheds a day (average) when I wash only and I don't know if this can be caused from low iron???

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

I was just informed that my ferritin is still at 22.
Between 40 and 70 nanograms per milliliter would be a lot better than 22 for growth of luxuriant hair. Lean meat three times a week might get your number into that range. And if you could keep in this ideal range for six months you probably will see an improvement in your hair density and quality. You don't want to get too enthusiastic about raising your number though. Enough is enough. If you go above 80 ng/ml you may have an iron surplus, a situation that entails other problems.

Liver, clams, oysters are all excellent sources of iron but I prefer a good steak, maybe six ounces. Other foods you eat at the same time as lean meat can help in its assimilation. Green and red peppers, rich in vitamin C, can increase the availability of iron substantially. So do other vitamin C rich foods.

But other nutrients can impair the iron absorption you might otherwise get from eating a tasty steak. Too much calcium, vitamin E, zinc, and phosphorus, especially from supplements can slow down absorption. You probably don't have to be concerned about this, though, unless you are taking high-potency vitamin pills.

Pregnancy sometimes brings on temporary hair loss because your body's energy is focused on the development of your fetus. But because of a superabundant supply of female hormones your hair could also become exceptionally thick at this time. After your baby is born, however, there may be a sudden loss of hair - postpartum alopecia. You've probably read about all this and are prepared for what might temporarily happen.

mamaherrera

Post by mamaherrera »

Thanks, so much. At least that gives me a baseline on how much red meat/iron sources I need to get a week to make an improvement. Because these doctors will not cooperate with me to recheck levels as they feel the levels are just fine. I do seriously hope that those skinny, lighter colored hairs that only grow to be 3-6 cm. long can still become healthy if it is due to iron. I don't know if iron can cause that kind of hair.