hair loss questions about Spironolactone, Candida, Ferritin

Discussions about the diffuse thinning experienced by women, usually after menopause
smf79

hair loss questions about Spironolactone, Candida, Ferritin

Post by smf79 »

Hello everyone,

I am posting now to see if anyone has any thoughts or advice for my situation. I am 34 year old female and have been losing my hair for about 2.5 years now. I am uninsured so never went to the doctor until recently, as I had hoped it was just a temporary thing. But now that I have lost about 70-75 % of my hair I finally went to a dermatologist. I had similar experiences to many people in terms of the doctors didn't seem to listen or really care and were already out of the door before I was finished talking. The second one I went to wrote a list of things for me to take without even listening to my situation beyond "hair loss." I didn't want to start Rogaine and would like anyone's information if they have experience with the Viviscal vitamins (which are expensive and not sure if they are worth it) and most importantly- Spironolactone. I have read about the FDA black box warning and it seems to treat a million things, 99% of which I do not need. I have also read about the "dread shed" that Spiro causes and am just unsure if the benefits are worth it... does anyone else take Spiro? What side-effects did you experience? Do you recommend taking it? Did you have a lot of shedding with it? I don't have hair to spare with excess shedding and am terrified of making it worse by taking it. I don't like to take medicines in general, let alone ones that make my problem worse and have a black box warning but I'm feeling desperate about my situation these days. Being 34 and single and balding is not a thing I am dealing with well.

Another question I have is what anyone thinks about Candida being responsible for hair loss? Does anyone have experience with that? And if so, what are you doing to deal with it? I have tried washing my hair with ACV among other supplements and such but to no avail. My derm had no info on candida and hair loss whatsoever so I hope that people on this site might know more.

And lastly, my blood tests were "normal" according to the docs but I after researching here, I saw that hair loss could be due to low ferritin. My level is at 23 which according to people on here is on the low side so I am supplementing with Feosol in hopes of that being part of my problem. Does anyone know the success rate of increasing ferritin levels? Should I get off the Spiro and just try the ferretin? Or stick with everything and just cross my fingers?

I am quite hopeless with it all and wish I had tried to fix things sooner when I still had hair instead of waiting so long. Any and all thoughts and advice is more than welcome for my situation. I don't know what else to do and how to fix things and am sad every time I see pics of my hair not so long ago. I would really appreciate anyone's experiences with Spironolactone pills, Viviscal, Candida's effect on hair loss and with stopping hair loss/having regrowth by raising ferritin. Thank you so much, reading things on here gives me hope.
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: hair loss questions about Spironolactone, Candida, Ferri

Post by Tom Hagerty »

I can't answer you questions about spironolactone, Candida, and Viviscal till Tuesday. I'm busy with a project now that is taking all my time. On Tuesday, though, I think I'll have some comments that you'll find useful. I read through your message several times so I know the kind of information you need and that might be helpful.
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: hair loss questions about Spironolactone, Candida, Ferri

Post by Tom Hagerty »

would like anyone's information if they have experience with the Viviscal vitamins

The supplement-geek.com website gives unbiased, well-researched appraisals of many supplements including the Viviscal pills. It's a long article, but I suggest reading the whole thing - Viviscal review. I prefer to get my vitamin C from green and red peppers and my "marine" nutrients from Twinlab Norwegian cod liver oil.
...and most importantly- Spironolactone
It is your responsibility to do in-depth research on Spironolactone (Aldactone) before you decide what you want to do. The article in Medline Plus might be a good starting point. This drug changes your hormonal balance, a situation that often entails negative side effects. Be careful about taking drugs sporting a black box warning label.
Candida being responsible for hair loss
Everyone has some of this fungal (yeast like) species lurking in the gut or the skin. But it becomes pathogenic only when there is a disturbance in the balance of gut or skin microflora, or a weakening of the immune system defenses. It is possible that a proliferation of Candida in scalp skin could cause inflammation is the hair follicles and result in itching and even hair loss.
Recent photo of Candida fungus
Recent photo of Candida fungus
candida.jpg (9.48 KiB) Viewed 13231 times
Rather than a course of daily shampoos with antifungal ingredients, I would prefer eating a good anti-inflammatory diet with plenty of probiotic foods like yogurt with both live and active cultures. Of course you will see ads for all kinds of supplements that will relieve you of the responsibility of eating nutritious foods. I take some of these supplements myself even though I have little confidence in their effectiveness.
My [serum ferritin] level is at 23

The ideal range for serum ferritin is between 40 and 60 ng/ml. Many nutrition gurus who I respect (Dr. Andrew Weil) suggest getting iron from lean meat instead of from supplements. Getting your iron from pills can be dangerous.