SUBSTANCE P

Discussions about the diffuse thinning experienced by women, usually after menopause
Loulou

SUBSTANCE P

Post by Loulou » Mon May 23, 2011 11:26 am

Dear Tom,
In my situation, I have been doing scalp excercises for 1 year. I have gotten great results for the sides and back of my hair. The hairs there are defintely thicker and stronger. I believe I have gained more terminal hairs there because the hair is a lot easier to comb and style.
However, my success in the front and top of my scalp has not been the same. I have been experiencing great amounts of stress/anxiety in the past year. I read that a substance, called substance P accumulates at the nerve endings and causes neurogenic inflammation in the hair follicle. This inflammation causes hairs that are in the anagen phase to prematurely switch to the telogen phase. Substance P also causes more productionof sebum because it enlarges the sebaceous glands. This is exactly what I have been experiencing. In the front and top of my scalp, terminal hairs that are 4-5 inches long fall out and the scalp in the area is oily.
I read on the mpb research website (a website about hair loss), that the combination of reseveratrol/curcumin antagonizes substance P. Also, the combination of cayenne/soy flavones does the same. What do you think about taking either one of those supplements to combat substance P?
thank you so much Tom, I know i have touched on this topic before on the forum, but i just think i realized the situation on substance P and wanted your input...
loulou

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: SUBSTANCE P

Post by Tom Hagerty » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:41 am

I read that a substance, called substance P accumulates at the nerve endings and causes neurogenic inflammation in the hair follicle.
The following is the best explanation I've seen about the neuropeptide substance P. It's from a page on the Health & Fitness website. There's some solid information on other pages of this website too.
When we experience stress, a neuropeptide known as substance P (SP) is released into both the skin and the brain. SP is a strong, proinflammatory molecule. When released into the skin, it starts a flow of pro-inflammatory chemicals, resulting in the activation or exacerbation of skin disease. SP can also slow hair growth and cause hair loss because of its ability to affect hair follicles. SP also affects the sebaceous glands (glands in the skin that produce sebum, an oily substance) by making them more active and by affecting their growth and creating the inflammation that can clog pores. It is interesting to note that the skin of acne patients has a much greater number of these SP-containing nerves than the average person. Thus we can see the brain–skin connection is a powerful one, mediated by neuropeptides, with the final common pathway, as always, being inflammation.
You asked about taking the "combination of reseveratrol/curcumin" in supplement form because these phytonutrients antagonizes substance P. But why the supplements? I prefer to eat red grapes for the resveratrol and sprinkle tumeric (curcumin) powder on food. You can get turmeric powder in bulk at Whole Foods. I prefer these to the cayenne/soy isoflavon combo.