Whisker hairs

Discussions about the most common form of male hair loss - androgenetic alopecia
anush711

Whisker hairs

Post by anush711 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:54 am

I just wanted to clear a doubt regarding topics : both related to hair on the sides.

Most of the people whatever stage of baldness they may be have hair on their sides .This holds true even if they are in Norwood 2 or Norwood 7. Even in hair transplant I have heard hair follicles from sides are used for this procedure.
Any explanation for this ?
Is this because naturally the hair follicles present here are resistant to DHT? or
In these regions we have occipital muscles as well as temporal muscles on the side . So does these muscles bring required blood to this region and help in lymphatic drainage?

Similarly many develop whisker type hairs on their sides . What might be the reason ? Quoting from keratin.com
it is a commonly held belief among dermatologists that development of whisker like hair above and behind the ears is an indicator of future severe androgenetic alopecia. The underlying cause of whisker hair development is not known but is assumed to be related to the influence of androgens. The link between whisker hair and pattern baldness has not been investigated with any detail. It's development is most frequently observed in young men of late teenage years or early twenties
http://www.keratin.com/ac/baldnesspatte ... ears.shtml

I myself have whisker hairs and this depressing fact was one of the reasons that I reached this website before an year. In fact I also have observed several persons who had this whisker type hairs have developed severe MPB.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Whisker hairs

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:53 am

You have read the material about whisker hairs on Keratin.com. I have nothing to add to that. Kevin McElwee who wrote all the articles on the site is a knowledgeable researcher and an excellent writer. It's worthwhile to read many of his articles on all aspects of hair disorders and hair care. It's a good education. Kevin, though, is no longer associated with the site. He is now a professor at UBC in Canada in the department of dermatology and skin sciences.
Attachments
Kevin McElwee.jpg
A man who writes clearly and honestly
Kevin McElwee.jpg (12.73 KiB) Viewed 8656 times

anush711

Post by anush711 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:09 am

Thanks Tom . You said that you noticed new hair growth after about 1 year of doing scalp exercise . Also some of the persons mentioned about this in testimonials page . In fact I even saw some pics which clearly show new hair growth .

Hair density is a factor that varies from person to person . When people tell like "He has more hair than him" ,they probably talk about this density. By Hair density I mean no of follicles in the scalp per unit area.

So by "new hair" does that mean the development of new hair follicles ( and increasing hair density ) or does that mean a follicle which had been dead starts producing hair (restoring previous density).

Hair density is determined by genetics . We stop growing (height) after 18 or so .Likewise when actually production of hair follicle starts and when is it completed ? Can you give a rough estimate ?
SE surely can stimulate existing hair follicles but can it (or any other treatments ) cause development of NEW hair follicle (not stimulating dead ones) ?

One more question to add :
When speaking about hair loss , we are concerned mainly with two factors :
1. No of hairs that fall . ( I have heard upto 100 is normal )
2. Type of hair that falls ( Terminal / Intermediate / Vellus )

Which of these is more important in deciding when it comes to MPB. Is it the number or type that matters ?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:08 pm

By Hair density I mean no of follicles in the scalp per unit area.
Hair density means the number of follicles plus the type of hair these follicles produce. You would not say that a person has hair density if the follicles were producing vellus hairs - thin hair with little or no pigmentation. If the hair follicles were producing terminal hairs - hair shafts thick in diameter and highly pigmented - that would mean high density or good cover.
does that mean a follicle which had been dead starts producing hair
Dead hair follicles produce nothing. You can't revive a dead hair follicle. But a hair follicle that is producing vellus hair or intermediate hair or short-cycled hair can be "revived" to a state where it produces terminal hair again. The terminal hair that might result in such a revival is produced only after the follicle goes through various cycles. Most of the change in diameter of the new hair takes place in the early phase of the anagen stage of the hair cycle.

Everyone has about 100,000 hair follicles - red heads less, blonds more. But it's not the number of hair follicles that are responsible for the great movie star-quality hair; it's the diameter and the pigmentation. A man's hair achieves a thicker look often on reaching puberty.

The scalp exercise will not stimulate the growth of new hair follicles; only divine intervention can do that. ☺

There are many factors that contribute to MPB. The main factor, though, is that the number of hairs falling out are not being replaced by new ones. Also, when many of the hairs on the scalp start looking like vellus hairs, there may be an incipient MPB problem.

dreamlee

Post by dreamlee » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:46 am

Tom Hagerty wrote:
Dead hair follicles produce nothing. You can't revive a dead hair follicle. But a hair follicle that is producing vellus hair or intermediate hair or short-cycled hair can be "revived" to a state where it produces terminal hair again. The terminal hair that might result in such a revival is produced only after the follicle goes through various cycles. Most of the change in diameter of the new hair takes place in the early phase of the anagen stage of the hair cycle.
The scalp exercise will not stimulate the growth of new hair follicles; only divine intervention can do that. ☺
Your means after hairloss for a long time can't save the dead hair follicles.So scalp exercise can only helps the live hair follicles Still have hair that grows.
The scalp exercise should be started the sooner the better if I found my hair began to fall abnormal.
If I have hair loss for several years,my head has very thin hair is very difficult or there is no hope to become dense?

But I insist scalp exercise for more than a week. I found that I have some hair no longer plastered down to my scalp.I think it's a good start.

anush711

Post by anush711 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:01 am

That was surely a logical explanation. Now its clear for me why reversing balding takes a long time . The follicle which produce vellus hairs has to pass through several cycles before they start producing terminal ones .

And I browsed through other forums as well . Surely diet is a very important factor for a good hair . I also understand that when it comes to hair there is no such miracle product other than divine interventions as you said .

Apart from diet , one part where we can make a good change is in our hair oil/shampoos. Through years of your experience that you have gained ( as well as other experienced users here ) can you recommend a good hair oil or shampoo which we must include in our daily life . I understand ,that alone cannot cause any miracles, still it may have some positive effect on hair. I couldnt see any such recommendations throughout the website .

I am not talking about Minoxidil or other treatment oils prescribed for hair loss. Just like Brewers yeast which you recommend to include in diet , is there some hair oils/shampoos which may provide a good nourishment for hair?

The only thing that we can do is fight against this depressing baldness without giving up, so we shall do our best.

daveyreh

Post by daveyreh » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:27 am

Hey anush,
I used to swear by the idea that using topical things could improve hair. Creams, rogaine, shampoos/conditioners (especially if they were fragrant in some way). Tried oiling my hair based on some advice from youtube. I just used apple cider vinegar in my hair, which I put in maybe once every 3 weeks. Supposed to have some great benefits to the scalp. I think I'm just left with a vinegar smelling scalp for like 2 days.

I think its all diet and SE, at least right now. I tried to actually keep shampoo out of my hair but once a week. As Tom know, I believe the best conditioner for the hair is one's own sebum, coming from an SE session and advanced session. I will then comb the hair and just love what I'm looking at.

THat said, look around and see if you can find a coconut milk shampoo bar. Here in the states, I get samples from the store called Lush, and its pretty good stuff. Works well for me because of my curly hair.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:02 pm

I just looked at several coconut milk shampoos. Check this one out on Amazon.com - Coconut Milk Shampoo. I read the testimonials and am going to order it. Right now I'm using Johnson's Natural Baby Shampoo. It's 98% natural - whatever that means. I shampoo just once a week. If I were working in a coal mine I'd probably shampoo more often. I use a few drops of macadamia oil or pure emu oil as a grooming product after I shampoo. Keeping it simple like this is the best advice I can give. I don't think products with a million ingredients are good for the hair and scalp.
Attachments
Coconut Milk Shampoo.jpg
It looks like a good product
Coconut Milk Shampoo.jpg (8.61 KiB) Viewed 8429 times