Basic Questions regarding hair loss the scalp and DHT

Discussions about the most common form of male hair loss - androgenetic alopecia
riodoro

Basic Questions regarding hair loss the scalp and DHT

Post by riodoro » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:36 am

Hey guys,

I agree to a certain theory. I do not wish to discuss the theory, but rather have my questions answered by people who may also agree with this theory (if necessary). Hopefully I'm in a right place here with open minded people. The person "beatinghairloss" describes this theory perfectly: https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/threads/8 ... st-Read%21

I have a few questions regarding Hair loss, DHT and the scalp:
1. I used to have a loose scalp and a full head of hair. Now, I have Hair loss and my scalp is super tight. Why do I have a tight scalp? Is DHT playing a role here? or Cortisol (stress/anxiety hormone)? I experienced this level of tightness (noitcably tight, and the followed increased hair loss) right after i started to use "Guarana" as a power booster for the gym. Guarana has a high amount of caffeine, and alot of caffeine is related to alot of cortisol production. I stopped using guarana for a long time. I already had hairloss before i used Guarana. It just increased it for a period of time when i was using it drastically.

2. When I was younger (before 18/19 y.o.), my scalp wasnt oily at all. As soon as "Hair loss" first kicked in (at around 18/19), i started to experience a very oily scalp (and dandruff). Why is that? What causes it? What role does DHT play here?

Thank you.

riodoro

Re: Basic Questions regarding hair loss the scalp and DHT

Post by riodoro » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:40 pm

Okay i think I got Number 2.) answered with this Link:
http://www.dermnetnz.org/acne/sebum.html

Still waiting for an answer for Number 1.) though.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Basic Questions regarding hair loss the scalp and DHT

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:03 am

Why do I have a tight scalp?
You want a straight answer for this question. A straight answer is impossible though because a "tight scalp" is a complex biological problem. Even though I know this won't satisfy you, I'll give you some definitions of a tight scalp or what's also referred to as scalp laxity. The first component of this is the ability to slide back and forth on the underlying pericranium. The pericranium is the thin tissue that covers the skull. The ability of the scalp to slide back and forth on the pericranium is what makes the scalp exercise possible. And this ability of the scalp to slide back and forth does not mean it's tight or loose. It just means that it's mobile. I also think it means that it's healthy.

The second component of scalp laxity is it's ability to stretch. This is independent of its ability to slide. If you can pinch your scalp I guess you could say it's loose. I do not have a "loose" scalp but my scalp does have the ability to slide quite a bit.

I've been in a line of work all my adult life in which there is prolonged psychological stress. I cope with stress well but many of my friends in the same line of work did not. Their scalps were tight, itchy, and mostly without hair. My opinion is that prolonged psychological stress can often make the scalp tight even to the point of causing headaches.

I don't know if Guarana or other power boosters increase a toxic form of scalp tightness. Some dermatologists do say, however, that there is a correlation between a tight scalp and loss of hair. It's a complex issue that I can't begin to solve.