are dandruff and androgenic alopecia related?

Discussions about the most common form of male hair loss - androgenetic alopecia
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: are dandruff and androgenic alopecia related?

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:04 pm

Read this article from Drug Enquirer. There are many articles on this topic if you type Accutane (isotretinoin), hair loss into the Google search box. But the one I linked to I think will answer all your questions.

Prolonged psychological stress can impact the hair follicles and also the sebaceous glands but probably diet has an even bigger impact. I wonder what your everyday diet consists of. We probably don't like everything Dr. Mercola writes about on his website, but his suggestions on how to deal with acne are on target - Foods to Avoid....
Attachments
Bad food, bad skin!
Bad food, bad skin!
Bad Skin.jpg (4.23 KiB) Viewed 32120 times

bobchzpuffz

Post by bobchzpuffz » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:58 pm

Because prolonged stress causes the body to produce adrenal hormones. It's been seen that men suffering from MPB have higher-than-normal levels of cortisol in their serum readings; prolonged exposure to these hormones may set off stressors that play a role in catalyzing MPB. I'd like to note that early MPB can often be associated with an onset of insulin resistance; raising insulin levels naturally reduces globulin that would normally bind to free testosterone which would otherwise metabolize into DHT, the main proponent of this hair loss. Considering the American diet emphasizes the importance of consuming refined grains, milk, sugars, and meat--all of which are associated with high insulin activity--it's no surprise that America has a higher incidence of MPB and blood-related diseases. I don't think diet alone is a precursor to MPB, but I do believe it is an important factor in retaining your hair.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:25 am

Because prolonged stress causes the body to produce adrenal hormones.
I also think that prolonged psychological stress has an effect on endocrine hormones, and that this effect translates into physical disorders: digestive problems, weight gain, bad skin - and hair loss, dandruff too. I don't understand all the pathways that lead to these disorders but I have witnessed the outcomes in the people around me - my friends who have been and are engaged in a high-tension activity. In my book, The Psychology of the Winning Horseplayer, I have a whole chapter about stress and how to cope with it. But these coping strategies are not often used by inveterate professional gamblers at the track. My feeling is that many inveterate gamblers like the stress they experience on a daily basis. It makes them feel like they are alive. This daily stress is like a narcotic, keeping them functioning at a "high" level.

But I notice that almost all of these gamblers are in various stages of baldness, have digestive problems, and are sloppy around the midsection. I am sure there is a correlation between continuing high stress and health problems. (I don't know if hair loss can be considered a health problem though.)

This is my non-scientific observation of gamblers and market day traders with sparse hair growth on top. Their scalps are usually tight and the scalp skin appears thin as paper - not a good environment for terminal hair follicles that are between 3 and 4 millimeters in length. My very non-scientific speculation is that prolonged psychological stress is a causative factor in producing and maintaining a tight, thin scalp.
Attachments
Tension!
Tension!
Psychological stress.jpg (5.57 KiB) Viewed 31854 times

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:38 am

Hello Tom,

I have found that the main cause behind my acne issue and dandruff is excess oil production. For last 2 weeks I am washing my hairs with apple cidar vinegar. And the impact is huge. Not only flaking goes almost 80% but hair loss is also reduced tremendously. I am also applying honey sometimes and washing it off. But my fear is that, will one day my scalp will adapt to vinegar and have no impact at all.
How to continue its effect thats the only suggestion I am seeking from you.
Thanks in advance.

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:33 am

One more addition I forgot to add.
content://com.sec.android.app.sbrowser/readinglist/1227145339.mhtml
I am also using honey for dandruff, and its working just great too.
I have no more words. Just wondering why I did not try this earlier.
I also think my hairloss may not be inherited one. :D
Lets see what happens in the long term.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:59 am

I am washing my hairs with apple cidar vinegar.
I have never used apple cider vinegar as a hair rinse but I know many people who have used it and benefited from its use. When I lived in Santa Barbara, California, I used to go to the Bragg Health Food Store. (I saw Clint Eastwood there a few times.) Check out this page about Apple Cider Vinegar on the Bragg website. Many of the older people I saw at the store had fantastic hair.
Paul Bragg's healthy hair
Paul Bragg's healthy hair
Paul Bragg.png (25.89 KiB) Viewed 31722 times
I'm happy to hear that the vinegar and honey combination is working for you. Tell me how long you leave that mixture in your hair before you rinse it off. Do you feel any tingling sensation?

The link you posted in your message does not work.

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:26 am

Hello Tom,

That link was wrong as it was saved on my phone.
Below one is correct:

http://www.mommypotamus.com/?s=how+to+n ... e+dandruff

I leave honey in my head for apprx 2 hrs.
I follow this procedure with one modification i.e. after every few days, I apply vinegar in the night and wash it in the morning as usual. And there is no tingling sensation so far, though I would better advise to dilute it a bit.
As I said my dandruff is gone as of now, though oily scalp is still there but with 95% reduction in hairloss. And that too just in a week.

Right now my concern is to maintain this, trust me this is miracle for me.
If it sustains, I will think abt regrowth too so fingers crossed.
I would also like to know if there are chances of relapse.

Thanking in advance as always.

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:39 am

Waiting for your feedback. :cry:

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:58 am

I read the article you linked to. That sentence about the acidity of apple cider vinegar changing the pH of the scalp is important. This makes the scalp a hostile environment for yeast and fungus buildup. I don't like the idea of sticky honey in my hair though. But if I had a scalp problem I'd use it.

After your initial success, you major concern is the possibility relapse. You probably are on the right track now so your possibility for a relapse is slim. I think your feeling of optimism is realistic.

Over the last month I rebuilt my hair loss site. Today I'm going to publish the new version on WordPress. I'll still have some tinkering to do with the various links. But maybe by this afternoon it'll start to look good. The old hair loss site was looking like a dinosaur.

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:42 pm

Here I am again to my favourite website.
Vinegar-honey combo stopped working after around 2 months.
and they were never as effective as they once were.
Need your opinion about food allergy test, Tom any suggestions?