are dandruff and androgenic alopecia related?

Discussions about the most common form of male hair loss - androgenetic alopecia
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: are dandruff and androgenic alopecia related?

Post by Tom Hagerty » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:02 am

I have no confidence in any topical solution applied to the scalp. In fact, I don't like even the idea of honey on my scalp for two hours. Perhaps some of the topicals that alternate health gurus suggest applying to the hair are effective, like apple cider vinegar, but I prefer a clean scalp, not one covered with vitamins, minerals, and proteins. My belief is that the hair follicles prosper when these nutrients are supplied through the capillaries at the base of the hair papilla. In other words, good diet always is more effective than the application of topical gunk.
Attachments
Honey and vinegar.jpg
After application of honey and vinegar
Honey and vinegar.jpg (7.55 KiB) Viewed 13589 times

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:57 am

ok one more query.

Since your last comment, I am avoiding all dairy products plus all wheat items.
Its really difficult as I do not understand what to eat.
I am surely feeling a bit relieved as of now ans more progress will be posted in a few weeks.

I need your help in finding out the diet regime, bcoz with all the dairy and wheat out I fear ruining my nutrition.
In the breakfast I take oats, in lunch boiled veggies, in dinner rice plus vegs.
Will start black tea soon.

Alao I read that food allergy tests are not reliable as diff tests produce different results.
Do you think its better to go for the test or my current experiment with wheat and dairy is okay?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:20 am

Singhisking, I understand what you're trying to do. You want to find out if something in wheat or in dairy products is creating an allergic reaction in you. And perhaps this allergic reaction is having a negative impact on your scalp and hair follicles. A short-term test to find out if gluten in wheat or lactose in dairy is causing some problem I suppose is valid. But this is what your method of attack against the allergens sounds like to me. Correct me if I'm wrong about your mind set.

Many young people find it emotionally satisfying to impose huge restrictions on themselves in order to achieve some goal. They give up all meat products, dairy, wheat, sex, etc. in order to purify themselves. These purification rituals they think will bring about physical and spiritual health. These belief systems in all cultures have always been with us and will continue to be attractive to young people.

If you have given up on two whole classes of food - wheat and dairy - it might be hard to get all the nutrients your body needs. I don't eat many wheat products and I've cut back on dairy a little too but I still think that eggs, plain yogurt with live and active cultures, and cheese are highly nutritious foods. I hope all your self-imposed restrictions do not endanger you general health. I wish you good luck on your journey.
Attachments
Dietary restriction.jpg
Breath the air and drink the water
Dietary restriction.jpg (4.91 KiB) Viewed 13572 times

daveyreh

Post by daveyreh » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:12 pm

Singhisking, if you're trying to see if you have gluten/lactose sensitivities, etc, I'd recommend looking around to see if you can find coconut milk yogurt and substitutes like this. I have been using coconut milk yogurt to replace regular yogurt, and it has all the probiotics you'd expect without the dairy. Its pretty good, I get a brand called "So Delicious" which is soy, gluten, dairy free.

What I do to determine sensitivities is just to switch to a non/low gut irritant diet (mostly lean chicken, greens, fresh veggies, fish and that's it). No dairy, nuts, wheat products for 2 weeks- 1 month. Then after your system has stabilized and you're feeling well (you will undergo a substantial detox if you do this faithfully, and it might be pretty painful), you slowly add "known" irritants little by little to see how you tolerate it, and how much of it, starting with nuts. Go slow, and just one new thing at a time. This is how I discovered that I don't do well with gluten and lactose. In that I can't eat as much as I want of it as I can with greens, fish and things like that. I'll bet doing this and the scalp exercises for a period of time will be an eye-opening educational experience for you.

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:54 am

Hello Tom,

Here I am again.
I had stopped all wheats and dairy for 2 weeks, it had little impact on scalp but made significant impact on face.
In just 2 weeks I have got rid of heartburn acidity headaches by which I infer that fasting and giving up grains for a while is actually good for health which even gandhi has mentioned. :D
But I had to discontinue as I got viral fever due to seasonal changes.

By the way someone suggested me to try dead sea salt.
Any comments or your experiences?
And congrats to you for bearing me for more than 3 years. :D

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:45 am

Anybody here who has ever felt that flaking worsens with stress?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:27 am

I use Coarse Mediterranean Sea Salt because of the health values and because it tastes good - a lot better than the regular salt that you buy in the supermarkets. But the salt I use does not contain iodine which is necessary for a healthy thyroid. So I take one tablet of Sea Kelp every day. The kelp I get contains 150 mcg of iodine which is 100 percent of the daily value. But just because sea salt is a healthful nutrient does not mean that you should consume too much. Just a little bit makes food taste good.
Attachments
Sea Salt.jpg
Sea Salt, better than the bland regular salt
Sea Salt.jpg (9.14 KiB) Viewed 11318 times

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:56 am

I apply sea salt topically but it had little effect.
I feel my problem is more complicated I feel my hairfall and dermatits and acne issues worsen when I am stressed so much that I dont even see clearly what is happening around me.
When all my friends start saying that u seem lost many times.
I do not know how to handle stress of this sort as its part of daily routine and if my observatiom is correct at all.
Maybe stress produces cortisol which suppresses my immune system may be its pure fantacy

I have started controllong my diet a lot.
I eat fruits only for lunch. All junk has been removed no coffee only half a cup of tea in the evening.
Least sugar, zero dairy except the tea and all.

NickSE

Post by NickSE » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:27 am

Singhisking, what about sleep? Do you sleep enough? Have you a sleep deprivation problem? That would be awful for your health, not just hair.

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:20 am

Unfortunately I do have sleeping troubles and they are frequent.