are dandruff and androgenic alopecia related?

Discussions about the most common form of male hair loss - androgenetic alopecia
singhisking

are dandruff and androgenic alopecia related?

Post by singhisking » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi Mr. Tom
I have been suffering from androgenic alopecia(as people say it).
From 2003 when i was 15 yrs old it started during winter.
Initially it was little heavy dandruff occuring only in left pary of my frontal scalp.
And from this dandruff affected area a lot of hair was shedding.
Afterwards this dandruff affected area kept on increasing and so the hairfall.
I just want to ask whether this condition is called MPB or androgeic alopecia.
Also do you think that your method can cure it?
Cud u plz give a little explation how your method may work in my case?

And thanks a lot for registering me.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: are dandruff and androgenic alopecia related?

Post by Tom Hagerty » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Androgenic alopecia, androgenetic alopecia, and male pattern baldness all mean the same thing. Most dermatologists say that dandruff and itching do not cause hair loss. This may be true, but people who are losing their hair often suffer from dandruff and itching. Dandruff is greater than normal scaling of the epidermis and itching can be caused by a subclinical inflammation. The scalp exercise that I advocate plus healthy dietary habits might alleviate both dandruff and itching. The scalp exercise might also halt hair loss and even promote the growth of new hair. But don't get too excited about these vague promises.

It sometimes takes over a year for the benefits of the scalp exercise to kick in. Most people become discouraged after just a few months on the program. I understand this. People want rapid results, the kind of results promised (or hinted at) in the various advertisements.

Please read through the pages of my website for information. Keeping one's hair takes some knowledge and a lot of perseverance. There is no easy fix unless you are considering a hair transplant. Even a hair transplant, though, is not always permanent.

You asked, "Also do you think that your method can cure it?"

The answer to that is no. You just don't do the scalp exercise for a year and then quit. You have to keep doing the SE and eating good food (and staying away from bad food) forever. In other words, no cure.

Do some research on the metabolic syndrome. Some dermatologists think there might be a strong link between the life style that leads to the metabolic syndrome and hair loss. I also think there is this link.

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:11 am

First of all , thank you very much for your response.
Actually i checked almost a dozen times my post just waiting eagerly for your response. :lol:
I always thought that if my dandruff is cured then i wud be able to restore hair growth.
I must tell since last 7 years i have consulted many dermatologists.
Of them only 1 has been able to give me relief(only for 2-3 weeks though).
That doctor(whom i consulted 4 years ago) gave me Beclomethasone+clotrimatazole, minoxidil 5%, finasteride alongwith some shampoo.
This medicine did wonders from day one of use.But the problem is that is lasted just 2-3 weeks and never improved even though i completed his 1 yr long course.
Since then i consulted many other doctors but nobody was able to provide even little relief.

So i have again consulted him for last 1 month and he has started same course again and the same output is coming.
I mean for initial 15 days the hairfall stopped completely, i thought problem is solved but soon it emerged again and so for last 2 weeks hairfall is in its older form.(You know i am going to consult him today also but in my heart i have lost hope).

What i do not understand is why his medicines works for 2-3 weeks right from day 1 and then its effect is gone.
Is it some kind resistance mechanism in my body which halts any change?
I really have no explanation.
Could you please expain?(Although i have started doing your SE anyway becoz it has other benefits as well)

One more thing i need to ask is that every person(including you) who has suffered from dandruff and hairfall experiences the same kind of dandruff growth pattern as i mentioned in my case in previous post?

One thing i am sure about is that i am suffering MPB because of some hormonal change since it started with the onset of puberty.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:41 pm

I always thought that if my dandruff is cured then i wud be able to restore hair growth.
I don't know about that, but I do know that dandruff is a bothersome problem. Medicated soaps and certain medications might help with your dandruff problem. My personal preference, however, is experimenting with diet. Dr. Andrew Weil and Web MD make some great suggestions I think. I'll just name a few:

1. Low sugar and high antioxidant diet. And low sugar means not too many wheat products either, even whole wheat. These essentially empty carbohydrates cause insulin spikes. Insulin spikes can trigger hormone surges that might have an negative impact on your scalp tissue - dandruff.

2. Some people with perhaps a sensitivity to gluten do better with a low gluten or no gluten diet.

3. Bread and beer and other foods too might encourage fungal growth. Some dermatologists think that a certain species of fungus is a cause of dandruff.

4. Include healthy fats like olive oil, avocado, and even coconut oil in your diet. These high-fat foods are good for your skin and therefore for your scalp.

5. Try to get enough biotin (eggs, tomatoes, yogurt) and zinc (crab, pumpkin seeds) in your diet. It's much better to get these micro-nutrients from real food instead of pills.

But I'm really not a diet guru. It's up to you to experiment and find the diet that helps your condition. And be skeptical of all nutrition gurus who suggest some eccentric diet.
What i do not understand is why his medicines works for 2-3 weeks...

I don't understand that either. Sometimes medications work for a year or two and then stop working because the body builds up a tolerance for the drug. But 2-3 weeks - a real puzzle.
the same kind of dandruff growth pattern...
There are several kinds of dandruff. Read the page about dandruff on my website for information. Dandruff comes in many styles and forms.

Nonie

Post by Nonie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Tom Hagerty wrote:
What i do not understand is why his medicines works for 2-3 weeks...

I don't understand that either. Sometimes medications work for a year or two and then stop working because the body builds up a tolerance for the drug. But 2-3 weeks - a real puzzle.

Well, what I can tell you is when I had alopecia aereta, minoxidil was the last thing I wanted to use for baldness because it's like a bandaid that covers the problem but never cures it. It just makes you forget it's there. The hair you grow with minoxidil is thinner than your own hair...and you have to use the product for the rest of your life because the day you stop, all the hair you grew will fall off. I hate being a slave to "medicine" so that was not a route I wanted to go.

Also cortisones are not my cup of tea. They are steroids and if there is one thing I know, it is that they are habit forming. They will fix the problem but only temporarily (like that bandaid that stops the bleeding) but the problem will return and you will find you need more of the steroid to fix the problem. Before you know it, you are totally dependent on them...and are using more than you started with.

I don't know if you've ever tried natural remedies? This website http://www.add-hair.com has some useful info on the causes of balding as well as things you could try that are not habit-forming. Another thing I love about natural remedies is there's less risk of side effects. It seems to me a lot of pharmaceutical drugs treat one thing while creating new issues. Another thing I hate about them is they only treat symptoms and never the cause. Changing your diet like Tom suggests will go a long way (as is addressing any issues discussed in that link).

What I used for my alopecia aereta was an essential oil blend following the recipe given in this study as well as a change of my diet and my results were as good as those shown at that link. You can see the progress below:

I discovered the bald spots on Dec 7, 2003...about 3...but monitored the progress of this one which was the biggest of them:

I should mention that I had had a physical exam which showed my iron, thyroid, etc were all fine. But a food sensitivity test had shown that I had developed a sensitivity to certain foods so I had eliminated them from my diet. This elimination stopped all itching of my bald spots was the first sign that I was on the right track. I also started massaging that essential oil concoction every night and sleeping in a plastic cap. The regimen required you to shampoo it off every morning, but I didn't. My hair texture is such that applying oil does not make it look greasy. In fact, many people with my hair texture apply grease to their hair frequently. For caucasian hair, though, the morning shampooing may be a good idea so you don't look like you fell in a barrel of oil.

A month+ (Actually about a week short of 2 months) later, the previously very smooth and slippery patch had gotten a little fuzz--January 31, 2004:

By April 2004 (I think it was the 25th--that's when I uploaded this photo), the patch was filling in nicely:

I had read that the essential oil blend took 8 months to work...so I didn't take anymore progress photos until Sept 29 2004, and you can see that the patch completely filled in. What you can't see, coz I seem to have lost the image showing this, is that new hair was also growing in length:

Unfortunately after my hair grew back in, I stopped monitoring growth in that spot, but this photo (right) taken two years later shows you that the hair in that area had grown in fully and there really wasn't any evidence that there was a time when the hair in that area was non-existent or shorter:

What I like about alternative medicine is that while results might be slow in coming, when they do eventually come, they stick...and usually that happens with no side-effects. I haven't used that essential oil blend since 2004 and my bald spots never returned. I don't know if it will work for you, but it's worth a try. For easy access to the recipe and directions of use that I followed (or sort of followed), refer to the part entitled "Essential Oil Blend for Hair Growth" at this link.

On the question of whether dandruff and alopecia are related, that seems to be what this study found: http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... er_5_years

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi Mr. Tom
Just wanted to share some sign of hope with you and all those people who have dandruff with hairloss.
As i had mentioned before that i have stared medication which fin tabs minox and beclomethsone+clotrimatazole
I have made just one little change in my diet which is that i have started taking fruit juice on daily basis.
The good news is that whether it be intake of fruits or meds but my hairloss has stopped again :).
I dot loose more than 4-5 hairs day.which includes bathing as well.
I donot know what is working so well again.also it is over a month now since it stopped.
I have no problem with using minox daily becoz i love my hairs bt i want to know if thers is any long term issue with consuming
Fin tabs.
That is my only worry.
Also i am nt doing sxalp exercise at all.
Plz suggest.
Thanks

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi tom.
It was long since i came to this site.
Actually i had been taking fin and minox for almost a year now.
Though it gave me relief quite a bit by reducing the flakes and hairfall.
But i feel it reduces my sexual drive which is harrowing.
So i gave up them just weeks ago and the hairfall is returning.
I was just googling usually about hairfall when i incidently came again to this
Forum .
I just read your forementioned advice about gluten allergy.
I searched and found surprising that almost 42% people have sone sort of gluten
Allergy.
I am having digestion and acidity related problems for quite sometime
Now.
So today i want to give it a try.
I am giving up wheat and all its derivatives for one month on trial basis.

Do you think gluten allergy may be the cause behind oily scalp. Dandruff and hailfall?

Can anyone else share their experience on the same?

Thanks in advance.

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:48 pm

I forgot to mention about frequent headaches which are comman to me for years now.
Also some patches that routinely appear on my back and then disaapear after sometime
Regular acne on my face and back and frequent constipation too.

Suggest if any kinda test i need to go through.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:50 am

Regular acne on my face and back and frequent constipation too.
Dr. William Davis writes about these symptoms in his book Wheat Belly. Instead of outlining what he says in the book, click on his rather extended video on YouTube. I think you will find him personable and fantastically informative. I follow his dietary advice and feel more healthy and energetic. Give his suggestions a try and you might find that your symptoms will vanish.

singhisking

Post by singhisking » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:00 pm

Hi tom,

Once more I am in desperate need of your help as you are the only consultant who bothers to listen
To carefully my observations.
Ok this time i want to ask you about dandruff(365 days)
Seborrhoeic dermatitis and the effect of corticosterois.if you cpuld see the above posts of mine
You can clearly see that i have said that my treatment works for initial few days
And it meds start showing ita effect right from day, which i can easily see by combing washing
Relaxed and soothened scalp which generally i do not feel.for years.
I cam.to realize that it is these so called corticosteroids
That do wonders for me. They work from day one.
But problem.is that even their continued.use becomed uneffective.
Whqt i want to know is that are s. Dermatitis and MPB.interrelated.
Or it is the dermatitis that is causing hairfall.
I want to add that i hv been loosing hair for 10 yrs now and considering the time i still have a lot of them.
I gwt the least help from doctora as they just keep making vague promises with full confidence.

And what dietary changes ahould i do.
Can u elaborate a bit if possible.