Scalp exercise

Discussions about the most common form of male hair loss - androgenetic alopecia
Jamie57

Scalp exercise

Post by Jamie57 »

Hi Tom,

I started doing the SE a few of years ago, unfortunately in the end I gave up after 8 or 9 months when I noticed that I had lost more hair (it runs in my family genepool although interestingly my father has perfect hair at 68!). I am 30 years old now and it's been travelling backwards at a fairly steady but nonetheless distressing rate ever since I was 20.

When I first tried the excercise I was one of the lucky ones who picked it up quite fast, and managed excellent contraction fore and aft. My occipitalis muscles were and still are really strong as I did the excercise so frequently and obsessively. I started adding resistance with my hands also. Interestingly however, it didn't seem to iron out the lines in my forehead nor help with my hair - in all honesty my lifestyle wasn't great, my diet was poor and I drank far too much and probably didn't sleep enough.

I've had a second wind a few years on and am trying to motivate myself to try it again with better nutrition, I'm a few weeks in and the strength and full range of movement is right back (the first few days were very sore!) and I am trying hard to motivate myself again to try another year of the excercise. I suppose the fear of failure isn't bolstering my confidence much, I also am still experiencing a lot of itching in the thinning area still which is a little disheartening. Perhaps my genetics are just too stubborn - who knows. Great to see you still helping people out!

Jamie

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Scalp exercise

Post by Tom Hagerty »

You wrote that you, "managed excellent contraction fore and aft." Many men have sent me videos of themselves doing the scalp exercise. Only about half, though, are contracting the occipitalis muscle at the back of the head. You evidently gained control of the occipitalis muscle and were doing the exercise correctly.

"Interestingly however, it didn't seem to iron out the lines in my forehead nor help with my hair."

I'm surprised that the exercise did not erase the lines in your forehead. You said your occipitalis muscles were and still are strong. Strong occips usually keep your scalp flexible while at the same time keeping your forehead smooth. You also said that even after doing the SE 8 or 9 months there was no improvement in your hair. That surprises me. Usually the scalp exercise at least stabilizes hair loss. But perhaps your life style - bad food, drinking, and lack of sleep - had something to do with your lack of success. And you wrote, "Perhaps my genetics are just too stubborn - who knows."

But now after a few years you are, "trying to motivate myself to try it again with better nutrition..." It might work this time because of your better health habits. But I don't want to give you any false optimism. I personally would give it another shot and see what happens. I've seen the scalp exercise work in others, but I've also seen failures.

I am now 88 years old and my hair still looks OK. I still do the SE every day. I'm a "true believer" in the exercise.

Jamie57

Post by Jamie57 »

I am a few weeks in now, I am taking 500 mg of black currant oil daily, eating better and doing the excercise daily - whilst smiling like a maniac which definitely helps make the excercise more challenging. Will post updates in a few months time, hope everybody is staying safe out there.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

Smiling like a maniac might help. I never thought of that.
Attachments
It might help!
It might help!
Electrode cure.jpg (7.49 KiB) Viewed 5598 times

Jamie57

Post by Jamie57 »

😂