Frontalis tightening might cause thinning of hair

Discussions about the most common form of male hair loss - androgenetic alopecia
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Frontalis tightening might cause thinning of hair

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:03 pm

The following is an email that James sent me on Saturday, January 14, 2017. He gave me permission to publish it. I'm going to reply to it on Monday.
Hi Tom,
Thanks for all the information you are sharing. I really think your idea of the frontalis muscles becoming too strong is correct and maybe the cause of male pattern balding. I can actually feel the frontalis muscles pulling down on my scalp. The areas where I'm losing hair are the areas that are under more pressure/compression. I can actually feel it. With your info on scalp exercises I can actually differentiate between being relaxed where my scalp becomes up lifted and the compression is released and the drag of the frontalis.

I think hereditary links tie in with head shapes and difference between male and female is men are more muscular and perhaps more tense more due to anger, competing with other males etc.

Have you contacted any scientist on your theory. I really think you maybe right?? Its a shame that no other theories are getting investigated, other than the unexplainable DHT theory they've been on for years with no improvement. Perhaps DHT is getting trapped or they keep seeing DHT in low oxygen environments. DHT lowers as we get older yet people have hair until their 50s then start losing ground, it doesn't add up.

I'm going to continue with your scalp exercises and start getting into the habit of not using my frontalis muscles as much and see if it stops hair loss and If I gain my hair back. Thank you so much, you're making the world a better place, James.
Attachments
Frontalis muscle.png
Frontalis muscle, problematic or not?
Frontalis muscle.png (55.35 KiB) Viewed 2881 times

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Frontalis tightening might cause thinning of hair

Post by Tom Hagerty » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:11 am

James wrote:
I can actually feel the frontalis muscles pulling down on my scalp.
The frontalis muscles do not pull down on the scalp; the frowning muscles (the procerus muscles) do that. That's why I wrote many times not to bring that frowning muscle into play while doing the scalp exercise. The procerus muscle is located in the glabellar area, that is the area above the root of the nose - the area between the eyebrows. People who are in the habit of contracting this muscle, often develop vertical lines between the eyebrows.
Procerus muscle.png
The frowning muscle
Procerus muscle.png (68.46 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

James also wrote:
I really think your idea of the frontalis muscles becoming too strong is correct and maybe the cause of male pattern balding.
I never expressed that idea. What I did say is that the correct way to do the scalp exercise is to alternately contract both the frontalis and occipitalis muscles. But I also say that the contraction of the frontalis muscle should not be held too long. That muscle usually is strong to begin with, so holding the contraction is not necessary and might lead to horizontal lines forming in the forehead. But it is OK to hold the contraction of the occipitalis muscle for a few seconds between contractions because this will strengthen the occipitalis, a usually weak and atrophied muscle. This muscle should be strong because it pulls back on the scalp, possibly smoothing out the lines, both vertical and horizontal, that often become etched in the foreheads of people as they get older.
Have you contacted any scientist on your theory.
Several scientists specializing in hair problems, like Dr. Rei Ogawa of Japan, have speculated that exercising the scalp muscles might have a stimulating effect on the hair follicles. This "Mechanotherapy" or mechano-stimulation might keep at bay the thinning of the hair that one sees in male pattern baldness. But type Dr. Rei Ogawa into the Google search bar and read some of the articles or look at his YouTube videos.
I'm going to continue with your scalp exercises...

I hope you continue to do the scalp exercises the correct way - getting sufficient scalp movement. I can't guarantee success though. I can just say that the probability of success (stabilization of hair loss and growth of new terminal hair) will be greater than if you did nothing. And I can guarantee that the scalp exercise will keep your upper face from prematurely aging. It's too bad, though, that all these good things take time - possibly a year or more. The scalp exercise approach, thankfully, has no possibility of negative side effects. That is a real plus. Thanks for your message.

galeaoman

Post by galeaoman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Any Griffith had great hair and thick forehead muscles...
Attachments
the-andy-griffith-show.jpg
the-andy-griffith-show.jpg (172.35 KiB) Viewed 831 times

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:37 am

Andy Griffith was born good-looking and talented. I wonder if those deep horizontal forehead lines and that vertical line between the eyebrows would become smaller if he did the scalp exercise properly. They of course could never be totally erased. His hair is thick too - a genetic marvel.

Did you ever see the 1959 film, A Face in the Crowd directed by Elia Kazan? He is brilliant in this movie playing a Trump-like character. He has a strong presence. He dominates a scene. I wonder what this guy was like when he was not acting.