Tingling hair products aimed at improving circulation

Discussions about shampoos, conditioners, and grooming products
Khanan

Tingling hair products aimed at improving circulation

Post by Khanan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:17 pm

I want to try a "tingling" shampoo & conditioner, e.g. the Rosemary one from Avalon, or one with tea tree oil from Giovanni. I am going to mix that with a few drops of pure cedar essential oil. The goal is to irritate the scalp a little bit in order to increase blood circulation. I also got some burdock root oil to treat the hair for 15-30 minutes before washing it.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Tingling hair products aimed at improving circulation

Post by Tom Hagerty » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:13 pm

The goal is to irritate the scalp a little bit in order to increase blood circulation.
The essential oils, which are also called volatile oils, might increase blood circulation to the scalp a bit but they can be extremely irritating to the skin. They can also have a sensitizing effect on the skin. These oils are derived from plants, many of which are used in cosmetics primarily for fragrance. I don't use any shampoo with essential oils or fragrances. I don't think they benefit the scalp or the hair. But you probably have done some research on this subject and have come to a different conclusion. Tea tree oil also known as Melaleuca might have some benefit to the scalp, though, because of its disinfecting properties.

I've seen some research on the oil from the burdock root that looks interesting. This oil might be both an anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant agent.

My opinion is that if you do the scalp exercise properly you will have sufficient circulation of blood in all the tissues of the scalp except for the galea, which is a tendinous membrane. I prefer not to have my scalp irritated with anything topical, from cayenne pepper to extremely hot water. Some people, however, probably influenced by the Protestant ethic, feel if there is no suffering involved there will be no progress - no pain, no gain.

daveyreh

Post by daveyreh » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:38 am

I ordered a product by Aubery that is a biotin and ginseng scalp tonic; I'm not sure why as I've been more and more reluctant to use leave in products in the hair since discovering SE. It does create a good tingle right after a shower though. I feel the best conditioner for the hair is one's own squeezed out sebum.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Fri May 13, 2016 6:37 am

I feel the same way about "leave-in products." I prefer a clean scalp with only the natural sebum as a lubricant. We've both heard about products that you leave in all night and rinse off in the morning. Some of these products might do something beneficial but I prefer to go to bed without stuff working its magic on my hair follicles. And I like to wake up with a clean pillow case.
Attachments
No morning residue
No morning residue
Pillow case.png (60.99 KiB) Viewed 16033 times

daveyreh

Post by daveyreh » Fri May 20, 2016 3:20 am

Yea, key word "might" be beneficial. Early on I used oil in my hair and started using it twice a week, and I realized I didn't like it. Hair was falling out like crazy. But times might hve changed for my hair, so maybe wouldn't hurt to try again.

You're right though. These products are meant to overstay their welcome and will eventually end up on clothes and bedding and it just doesn't seem natural. "Other" people go for cosmetics, sprays and foams to force their hair to do what they want with varied results. Us SE-ers have seen the results of a natural way and it is tending to influence my judgment about using cosmetics on hair in general.

I'm not even shampooing my hair but every 5 days. Its remarkable that I used to do that even twice day, not to get clean, but as an excuse to perfume and wetten my hair for styling. Crazy, huh? Now, shampooing is kind of a special event planned between two well-spaced gym sessions. It is an event I look forward to because the hair always looks great afterward. I think this change has made a difference in my scalp health for sure.