Healthy Weight

Ideas about food and supplements and how these relate to hair
Lan

Healthy Weight

Post by Lan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:44 pm

I'm kind of curious if a a low weight will contribute to hair loss. Currently, I am 30 pounds underweight, and should be at an ideal 130. This is something I have struggled most of my life, roughly 20 years. I'm certain I'm genetically vulnerable to hair loss, but can being at a low weight for so long have influence?

Love the site by the way. I ordered your package some years back, and I have been very pleased!

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Healthy Weight

Post by Tom Hagerty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:15 pm

but can being at a low weight for so long have influence?
Sometimes being at a low weight for a long time might indicate that you are not eating enough nutritious foods or maybe not doing the proper kind of exercise. This might almost seem contradictory because, after all, exercise burns calories. But good exercise helps the body metabolize the nutrients you take in and builds lean muscle.

I'm not a fan of Dr. Joseph Mercola's free newsletter because of all the quirky ideas he proposes, but his ideas on high intensity interval training are excellent. He calls it Peak-8 training. I've been doing this training for about five months now on a recumbent bike and have put on a lot of muscle and lost a lot of fat while eating just the same foods.

Of course I know nothing about your eating habits. I don't think, though, that you should be substantially underweight for a long time If you eat right and exercise a few times a week. If you are chronically undernourished your hair will suffer from this.

Lan

Re: Healthy Weight

Post by Lan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:22 am

Tom Hagerty wrote:Sometimes being at a low weight for a long time might indicate that you are not eating enough nutritious foods or maybe not doing the proper kind of exercise. This might almost seem contradictory because, after all, exercise burns calories. But good exercise helps the body metabolize the nutrients you take in and builds lean muscle.

I'm not a fan of Dr. Joseph Mercola's free newsletter because of all the quirky ideas he proposes, but his ideas on high intensity interval training are excellent. He calls it Peak-8 training. I've been doing this training for about five months now on a recumbent bike and have put on a lot of muscle and lost a lot of fat while eating just the same foods.

Of course I know nothing about your eating habits. I don't think, though, that you should be substantially underweight for a long time If you eat right and exercise a few times a week. If you are chronically undernourished your hair will suffer from this.
This is what I think as well. I used to exercise, but my weight would not budge, no matter what I ate. I stopped exercising due to fear of over exertion. I can never really tell where the limit stands.

I do have some kind of theory that my low weight is accelerating my hair loss. I have a slightly skeletal look to my face, and sort of figure I do not have enough fatty tissue at the top of my head. I'm not sure. It sounds ridiculous, but at the same time has some logic to it. It is for this reason I fear the Scalp exercises won't help me much until I put on weight. I have a slowly receding hairline, but there is diffusion evenly over the top of my head. This diffusion does not look like the regular pattern. At least not to me.