Nutritional yeast.

Ideas about food and supplements and how these relate to hair
mickey

Nutritional yeast.

Post by mickey » Tue May 17, 2016 11:03 am

Hi Tom,
What nutritional yeast do you use? I have been buying brewers yeast from a local health store,who get in in in small sacks, it is reasonably priced, but I am not sure how good it is. What do I need to look for when buying nutritional yeast?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Nutritional yeast.

Post by Tom Hagerty » Thu May 19, 2016 6:53 am

What nutritional yeast do you use?

I've been getting Brewer's Yeast Powder from Swanson. It comes in a 16 oz container and it costs $7.19. I blend it with orange juice and I think it tastes good. I take one tablespoon (15 grams) of the powder mixed with OJ almost every day. It contains all of the amino acids, all of the B-complex except B12, and most of the important trace minerals. These trace minerals are important for hair health and hair color. When I call Swanson I order six containers of this yeast power. Get on the email list. Sometimes Swanson has discount offers.

mickey

Post by mickey » Tue May 24, 2016 9:02 am

Hi Tom,
Does all brewers yeast have the same nutritional content? is it all made the same way?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sat May 28, 2016 8:02 am

The nutritional yeast powder you get in health food stores or online is always inactivated. In other words, you don't have to be concerned about it causing a yeast overgrowth or infection. Nutritional yeast, often called brewer's yeast, is grown on a variety of mediums. Swanson yeast is grown on sugar beets. I called up the company to make sure of this. Some nutritional yeast is grown on barley or malt. Depending on the medium, there is some difference in the amount of various nutrients in the products. And some nutritional yeasts are fortified with B12 and other vitamins and minerals. Swanson yeast is not fortified. Always read the label when deciding on the brand you want. I prefer a brand without additional elements added.

mickey

Post by mickey » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:39 am

Hi Tom,
Would you know of a good UK supplier of nutritional yeast grown on sugar beet?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:56 pm

I don't know which suppliers in the UK sell the best brewer's yeast products. I would definitely opt for real brewer's yeast powder though. The powder is more likely to be of high quality. And it's easy to mix the powder with orange juice or apple juice. The blended mixture tastes great and it's a healthful drink.
Attachments
Orange juice and brewer's yeast.png
It tastes OK too.
Orange juice and brewer's yeast.png (33.04 KiB) Viewed 9906 times