Foods/ supplements

Ideas about food and supplements and how these relate to hair
mickey

Foods/ supplements

Post by mickey » Sat May 25, 2013 9:37 am

Tom, would you give me some advice please.

What are the top 10 foods / supplements for hair ? in order of importance?

How important is starflower oil for hair growth?

Is 0% fat bio live yogurt as good as 'standard' bio live yogurt ?

Does low temp processed emu oil work best to regrow hair ? where is the best place to buy this from ?

will hig temp processed emu oil regrow hair ?

How do emu oil and coconut oil compare in regrowing hair ?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Foods/ supplements

Post by Tom Hagerty » Wed May 29, 2013 10:45 am

What are the top 10 foods / supplements for hair ? in order of importance?
I'm not going to give an order of importance because I really don't know about this. But I think all of the following foods and supplements are helpful for hair health and general health.

1. Brewer's yeast powder. I blend it with orange juice.
2. Cod liver oil, the real stuff, not the capsules.
3. Plain low-fat yogurt with both live and active cultures.
4. Brazil nuts - rich in selenium and other nutrients.
5. Vitamin D3, 2000 IU.
6. Sea Kelp for the iodine.
7. Evening Primrose Oil, 500 mg for the GLA.
8. Krill Oil for the omega-3.
9. Astaxanthin, 5 mg.
10. All kinds of peppers - red, green, and orange - for the vitamin C and other nutrients.
11. Avocados - a nutrient-dense food, tasty too with sea salt.
12. Garlic - high in antioxidants, selenium, vitamins A and C, and an important mineral for hair and skin, sulfur.

I use emu oil, just a few drops, as a grooming agent. Emu oil, low temp or high temp processed, will not grow hair.
Is 0% fat bio live yogurt as good as 'standard' bio live yogurt ?
I don't like 0% fat anything. You need fat in the diet so that nutrients can be more efficiently absorbed. Also the butter fat in low-fat yogurt has conjugated linoleic acids (CLA), an important nutrient.

mickey

Post by mickey » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:54 am

Tom,
Would you be able to recommend a good supplier for emu oil ?
I am Still not getting visible ear movement, but I can certainly feel scalp movement, is this the same for others ?
do you think I am still getting the benefits ?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:38 pm

I get Emu Oil from Amazon. The brand is BNG 100% Pure Emu Oil. There is nothing miraculous about this product but I find that it is an excellent grooming agent.

If you are not getting visible ear movement, you have not yet gained control of the occipitalis muscles at the back of your head. Work on this.

mickey

Post by mickey » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:21 am

Tom, would you detail how each of the foods & supplements you have listed, contribute to hair health.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:39 pm

Mickey, I could do it but it would take too many paragraphs to give you the full story. My suggestion is to get the Nutrition Almanac by John Kirschmann and spend a lot of time reading through the various articles on vitamins, minerals, supplementary foods, and more. I go back to this book often when I need a refresher course on some nutritional topic. Sound nutrition is the key to staying healthy and energetic - also important for good hair.

mickey

Post by mickey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:01 am

Tom, Would you out line the significance of evening primrose, and starflower oil and which you recommend.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:01 am

Evening primrose oil, black currant oil, and starflower oil (which is also called borage oil) are all rich sources of gamma-linolenic acid. Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) is an omega-6 fatty acid that is supposed to be helpful in combatting dryness, brittleness, and thinning of hair. I've read a few scientific papers about how GLA does this but it is still not clear in my mind. Even so, I take 500 mg of Evening Primrose oil in capsule form each day. The stuff I get has 45 mg of GLA in it or 45% of the 500 mg.

I much prefer getting my nutrients from real foods though, but just on the chance there is some magic benefit in the capsule, I take it. If I lived 100 years ago I'd probably be taking snake oil too.