Headstands

Comments abut vitamins, herbs, incantations - anything helpful to hair

Sponsor Message

Sponsor

KnightNJ

Headstands

Post by KnightNJ » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:07 pm

Hello everyone, I just moved this post to I think the right area now.... I am new to the site and have been doing the exercises for some time now and a big believer. I wanted to share my experiences with the addition of headstands to my hair health practice. I have been working hard for most of my adult life to keep my hair and have tried just about everything out there.

I started a form of yoga about six months ago that requires headstands as part of the normal practice. I am 51 yo and had not done headstands since grade school so I was at a disadvantage at first and struggled a bit at first. With that I am persistent and have practiced regularly and have mastered them to where I can go for over 5 minutes at a stretch. There are many benefits you can read on the inversion practice (headstands) online. The one consistent theme is the blood flow to your head while doing headstands. I recommend if someone starts they receive some help form a teacher to do them properly. if no teacher is around and you want to go at it alone, it is recommended to do child's pose after your head stand. Check online for instruction on both poses.

What I wanted to highlight for you is what I have experienced with my hair health that may help you as well. I first have noticed my hair to be so much softer since my practice started, my hair in the past was very course and dry. I am noticing it to be very soft to where people comment on it when touching. Overall, my hair looks and feel healthier.

Most of my hair is still my original dark color and since my headstand practice I seeing even less grays and feel my hair is fuller too.

I just read another thread on an inversion table and in response to Tom's response to that post, headstands definitely work the core and upper back too. I have added a pic to demonstrate and from the pic you can kind of see my hair is dark in color too.....

I understand this is anecdotal and have no agenda, just wanted to share my experience as it may help one of you too.

Best wishes!

Charlie
KnightNJ

Attachments
Child's Pose.png
"Balasana" or Child's Pose
Child's Pose.png (28.75 KiB) Viewed 6336 times
Headstand for hair growth.jpg
Headstands perhaps useful for hair growth
Headstand for hair growth.jpg (25.31 KiB) Viewed 6337 times

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Headstands

Post by Tom Hagerty » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:55 am

As you can see, I reduced the size of your photo so people visiting this site can view it without scrolling. It is evident that you are in good physical shape so that exercise in general and headstands specifically are no problem for you. We both would probably caution older people who are not in good shape to take it easy with headstands at first. This form of exercise can cause detached retinas in out-of-shape people. Pressure in the eye may increase in the upside-down position; certainly not with you, though, because you've retained athletic ability.

When I started to get thin in the temple area I did not know about the scalp exercise. I did headstands and handstands too. I also would lie on an incline board in order to bring more blood to my head and scalp. Nothing helped me to regain my hair, but the truth is that I did not pursue these activities very long. If increased blood flow were the only thing that promotes hair growth, I would be a strong advocate of the practice too. I think there are other factors. Still headstands are excellent if one can do them without feeling intense pressure from poor blood circulation. Your posture while doing the exercise is perfect. Thanks for posting the photo.

When as a kid I lived at Muscle Beach in Santa Monica, Jack Lalanne was often there on weekends. He would do all kinds of gymnastic maneuvers including handstands. He had a full head of hair when he died at age 97.
Attachments
Jack Lalanne (and dog), handstand.jpg
Physical fitness guru
Jack Lalanne (and dog), handstand.jpg (6.25 KiB) Viewed 6337 times

KnightNJ

Post by KnightNJ » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:14 pm

Thank you Tom! I agree on the caution for individuals not in the best condition. If they find a good teacher there are alternatives too. I practice Iyengar yoga which uses a lot of props to assist with poses.

I was a big fan of Jack Lalanne. And I need to learn how you reduced the pic size too. :)

Charlie

KnightNJ

Post by KnightNJ » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:15 am

Hi again everyone, I failed to add that the headstand should be done with the sarvangasana pose (shoulder stand). As BKS Iyengar writes " the headstand should always be followed by the shoulder stand, it has been observed that people just doing the headstand, tend to lose their temper over trifling things and become irritated quickly." The practice of both together checks this trait."

Find a good teacher!

Cheers!

Charlie
Attachments
th.jpeg
th.jpeg (5.09 KiB) Viewed 6260 times