Regarding shampoos, are there any you recommend...?
I am now using Johnson's Natural
Baby Shampoo. It's a new product that you'll find on the same shelf with the regular Johnson's Baby Shampoo. The ingredient list is small, and, as far as I can determine, there are no toxic chemicals in the product. Look for "98% Natural" on the label. I wonder what the other 2% is - probably agent orange.
I've been using this shampoo for several months and I like it. I shampoo my hair only once a week with only one application. You probably don't need more than this unless you work on a garbage truck or in a steel mill. I never use a conditioner. It's best to use as little shampoo and conditioner as can get away with. But when I'm done shampooing my hair I use a few drops of emu oil as a grooming agent. Do some research on this oil. It might be healthful for the scalp.
Only yesterday I applied apple cider vinegar to my scalp...
Cider vinegar might be OK. Read through this page - How To Clean Your Hair Without Shampoo
. A charming woman tells you how to keep your hair clean and in good condition by using baking soda and apple cider vinegar. If you try this combination and it works for you, get back here and tell us about it.
An itchy scalp often means that the hair follicles are inflammed. Anything you can do to keep your scalp healthy will keep your hair follicles productive. Sodium laurel sulfate might make your hair follicles squirm.