Tom - What Shampoo do you use and ..... Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Hair Cosmetics » Tom - What Shampoo do you use and ..... « Previous Next »

David
Posted on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom

1. What Shampoo do you use ?

2. For an Anti Dandruff shampoo you Recommended (1% Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo)

But that contains "sodium lauryl sulfate"
- You have recommended to get a shampoo that does NOT contain "sodium lauryl sulfate" ?

Just thought I would catch you on that point

Cheers

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

David:

Take a look at the inactive ingredients again. Nizoral contains sodium laureth sulfate (less harsh), not sodium lauryl sulfate. The active ingredient is Ketoconazole, named after the Indian who scalped George Washington's mother.

I use many shampoos - always experimenting. I haven't found the perfect one yet. I have not found the perfect conditioner either, but just a very small amount of Nizoral after I shampoo seems to leave my hair soft. It is "pH balanced" as the advertisement says.

David
Posted on Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thats news to me !!

Where does it say in the ingredients:

Nizoral contains sodium laureth sulfate ????

-----------------------------------
NIZORAL 1% SHAMPOO (Janssen-Cilag)

Composition: Ketoconazole.

Description:
Nizoral 1% Shampoo contains 1% (w/w) of ketoconazole in a shampoo formulation consisting of sodium lauryl ether sulfate, sodium cocoyl sarcosinate, cocamide MEA, glycol distearate, polyquaternium- 7, carbomer 1342, edetate sodium, perfume oil, sodium chloride, sodium hydroxide, hydrochloric acid, butylated hydroxytoluene, quaternium-15, patent blue V and purified water.
--------------------------------------

NIZORAL SHAMPOO - CMI (Janssen-Cilag)

Product Description

What it looks like:
Nizoral shampoo is a viscous pink liquid in a 60ml plastic bottle.

Ingredients:
Nizoral shampoo contains 20 milligrams ketoconazole in each gram. It also contains sodium lauryl ether sulfate, disodium laurethsulfosuccinate, cocamide DEA, lauryldimonium hydrolysed animal collagen, PEG 120 methyl glucose dioleate, sodium chloride, sodium hydroxide, hydrochloric acid, imidurea, erythrosine, perfume bouquet DL 19372 and purified water.
-----------------------------------

Cheers

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

David:

I assumed there was only one Nizoral. My bottle is new. I bought it at the largest pharmacy chain in Chicago two weeks ago. It's distributed by McNeil, Inc. Fort Washington, PA.

Active Ingredient - Ketoconazole 1%

Inactive Ingredients - acrylic acid polymer, butylated hydroxytoluene, cocamide MEA, FD&C Blue #1, fragrance, gylcol distearate, polyquaternium-7, quaternium-15, sodium chloride, sodium cocoyl sarcosinate, sodium hydroxide and/or hydrochloric acid, sodium laureth sulfate, tetrasodium EDTA, water.

So, that's new to me too.

Brian
Posted on Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 02:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom, so laureth is less harsh than lauryl sulfate,
I've also seen shampoos which contain sodium trideceth sulfate, and ammonium laureth sulfate.
Are these any worse or better than sodium lauryl sulfate?

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian:

Whenever you buy shampoos at pharmacies and look at the ingredients, you'll see the various sulfates listed on the labels. Some of the sulfates are harsher than others - lauryl sulfate is supposed to be the worst. But if your scalp is normal (not unduely sensitive) none of these ingredients should cause you any harm.

My advice when using any shampoo is to use it lightly. Use a little bit and don't rub it deep into the scalp. But most important, be sure to rinse extremely well after a shampoo. Remove those chemicals from your scalp.

This is probably an eccentric idea and I have no genuine reason for it, except that it works for me. Before I rinse my hair I use a "very" small amount of Nizoral as a conditioner. This seems to leave my hair looking good.

If you find any shampoo that you really like, I hope you'll post a message here.

Toni Jamison
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello:

I use Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil shampoo. It doesn't have ANY of the toxins commen to many, many other shampoo's on the market. You can find it at the Whole Foods Market.

Thank you.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Toni Jamison:

Could you list the first half dozen ingredients in this shampoo. Does the shampoo contain sodium lauryl sulfate? I'm always looking for a good shampoo to try.

Kishore K
Username: Kishore

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Shampoos are partly responsible for your hairloss, they can increase the pH on the scalp. My advice is to avoid any kind of shampoo or soap on the hair/scalp. I myself use "Kadle Hittu" or "Besan" flour which is availabe at any Indian [Asian] grocery. I've stopped using shampoo for last 2 weeks, and gosh my scalp never felt better. And i am having a good hair day, everyday.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.