Sodium lauryl and/or ammonium lauryl ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Hair Cosmetics » Sodium lauryl and/or ammonium lauryl sulfate « Previous Next »

Scott F
Username: Scott

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Tom i've been using a shampoo (Pantene ProV) for years and years. Today i read it is very bad for your scalp and could contribute to more shedding and breakage. Is there any merit to this? What do you advise?

Tom Hagerty
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3744
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here is what Paula Begoun says about Pantene PRO-V in her Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care Products Without Me:

Almost all Pantene shampoos need to be revamped on two counts: (1) the drying and irritating ammonium xylenesulfonate (present in all but one of them) should be removed, and (2) Procter & Gamble [who owns Pantene] needs to stop recycling the same shampoo, conditioner, and styling product formulations in product after product - you will not find another hair-care line where repetitiveness is so rampant.

At least their expensive advertising is great. Those actresses and models with perfect hair are fantastic. Do you think they use Pantene products?

Scott F

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Naw they can afford the better ...i really like the one with Maria Menounos...lol she like a Pantene mascot or something.

so should i stop using it and switch :?

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3747
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Scott F:

I think it's better to use a simple clarifying shampoo. That's a shampoo that does not contain any ingredients other than detergent cleansing agents. I'm now using Neutrogena Anti-residue Formula. It doesn't have those dozens of chemicals in it that many well-advertised shampoos have. You don't want any buildup in your scalp that you might get with shampoos with a lot of gunk in them. Clarifying shampoos don't have the gunk - volumizers, protein, a salad of herbals, etc.

If you want to look like Maria Menounos keep using Pantene. :-)

Scott F

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

hi tom just to conclude the thread i went and looked at the anti residue shampoo you said. I looked at the back and i think it had the same ingredients Sodium lauryl and/or ammonium lauryl sulfate.

It said to use it has a supplement with my normal shampoo. Also the back read to use it once a week. Is that how you use it? Or do you use it regularly.

Thanks TOm i will go look at clarifying shampoo next time im at the drug store

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3765
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Scott F:

I wish I could find a great clarifying shampoo without harsh chemicals in the ingredients list. If you find one tell us about it.

I just went to the Neutrogena website and tried to find the ingredients list for their various products. They don't give out that information.

Brick_top
Username: Brick_top

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom:

What do you think of these ingredients:

Organic Acacia Concinna (Shikakai) Extract, Organic Citrus Limon (Lemon) Juice, Organic Coconut Acid*, Organic Olive Acid*, Organic Hemp Acid, Potassium Citrate (made with Organic Lemon Juice), Organic Glycerin, Organic Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Organic Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Oil, Tocopherol (Vit. E),

Not for some kind of cocktail either- though it might go good with a splash of vodka.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3768
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brick top:

Last week I went to the Whole Foods store in Columbus and had exactly that same meal. It was delicious and expensive. (Deliciously expensive)

These herbals and "natural" ingredients are used to sell the product. They don't clean the hair. What I'd like to find is a simple shampoo without harsh chemicals that leaves my hair clean and my scalp without irritation.

Brick_top

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 03:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom:

Im not quite sure what you feel is necessary to clean your hair and scalp. I used this today and my hair and scalp felt squeeky clean. You mean you need a detergent? I would suggest dr. bronners other soaps, but I know you know of them. The product whose ingredients are listed above is sold as a conditioner under the dr. bronner name. Now Im sure its obvious, but im not a scientist. In my simple understanding built by my own intuition I believe that the citrus juices and acids break up the oils and build-up on the scalp and in the hair (or on it I should say) and allow it to be rinsed off. Im sure ill hear from you why this is incorrect, but all i can say is that my hair didnt have the oils in it anymore that it usually has after I washed with it.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3770
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brick top:

This is from Paula Begoun's Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products Without Me.
Many natural ingredients pose problems for the skin. While I can't stop the craze for natural ingredients, I can at least try to keep reality in the picture. I thought it would be a good idea to provide a list of the more popular, but possibly irritating or photosensitizing, natural ingredients found in cosmetics.

All of the following can cause skin irritation and/or sun sensitivity: almond extract, allspice, angelica, arnica, balm mint oil, balsam,basil, bergamot Chamomile, cinnamon, citrus, clove, clover blossom, coriander oil, fennel, fir needle, geranium oil, grapefruit, horsetail, juniper oil, lavender oil, lemon, lemongrass, lime, marjoran, melissa, oak bark, orange oil, papaya, peppermint, rose, sage, thyme, and wintergreen.

The label might say "pure and natural," but you could be buying a purely irritating product. It won't irritate the hair shaft, because the hair is dead, but if it rinses off onto your face or makes contact with your scalp, you could have problems. Even if natural ingredients were all beneficial to hair, they would work only if they were in leave-in products; in a shampoo, most of them would be rinsed down the drain.

Shampoos are classified as cosmetics so there are really no regulations on what the advertisers can claim. The ingredients list has to be correct though.

I'm not immune to the advertisers' claims either. I would love to believe what I see in the advertisements on the Internet and in the magazines. Dr. Bronner is probably laughing at us while he is charging us inflated prices for his products - which really are not too bad - except that they don't deliver all that is promised. I sometimes use his Unscented-mild Pure Castile Soap.

Brick_top

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom:

What exactly are you looking for in a soap? I dont really know what you mean by Dr. Bronners soaps not delivering all that they promise.. I wasn't aware they promised anything. Though the bottle has all of crazy Bronners beliefs printed all over it. Rather preachy soap would be my only complaint with it. Dr. Bronner would be laughing at us from a hole in the ground, he's long gone.

I wish that the article that you posted had more information in it. It says the things listed there are irratating or photosentizing to the scalp, but that doesnt mean much to me.. does this mean that you would leave them in your hair, on your scalp and they would be irratating? If you leave lemon juice on your head all day, I would think its quite bad for your hair and scalp- so i would agree. I have my doubts that rubbing citrus juices through your hair to effectivly clean off oils and buildup is all that bad for anything -in moderation of course- once a week i think is resonable.
I dont think like 5 bucks or whatever it costs is too much to pay for most of his products is too much to ask- im sure its cheap as dirt to make, but im not going to be making soap anytime soon, so Ill pay for someone else to do it. Besides, where would i get shikake juice from! haha I dont even have a clue where it comes from! Would I have to kill some kind of animal? Is it spider venom?

Someone actually made a movie about Dr. Bronner recently apparently.. The last time I went to the website they support a trailer for it there (Dr. Bronners site).. Ill tell you he sure as hell was a nutty dude.. Became a crazy soapmaker after busting outta the nuthouse. I support crazy people, hence I buy the soap.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3772
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brick top:

Dr. Bronner is not dead. Last week I went to Beulah Park Racetrack and saw him at the $50 window placing a bet on a horse. He didn't seem at all nutty to me except for his chartreuse suit with a gold cross on the back.

Do you believe that all the Dr. Bronner products are organic? I don't even know what organic means anymore.

This is from Wikipedia:
Shikakai means "fruit for hair" and is a traditional shampoo used in India. It is made from Acacia concinna, a shrub native to the warm, plains of central and south India.

The fruit pods, leaves and bark of Acacia Concinna are dried, powdered and made into a paste at home. While this paste does not produce the normal amount of lather that a regular shampoo would, it is a good cleanser. It has a natural low pH, is extremely mild, and doesn't strip hair of natural oils. Usually no rinse or conditioner is used since shikakai also acts as a detangler. It is also used to combat dandruff.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.