Olivia by Home Health Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Hair Cosmetics » Olivia by Home Health « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

About 1 1/2 years ago I finally started visiting the hair loss sites. I got wise to bad shampoos that make hair brittle and dry out the scalp. I stumbled across this stuff called Olivia (by Home Health) in a nutrition store. It's got olive oil in it. My hair and skin are much happier. No dried out itching anymore after the hair dries, and the rate of hairloss declined to almost nothing almost immediately. I've been fortunate. It lathers mildly, its gentle, it has almost no scent, and it has a really boring label -- all the hallmarks of something that's probably good for you.

I plopped down $12 for a single bottle at that first nutrition store, and the bottle isn't very big (maybe 10 ounces?). I've since seen it in the nutrition and hygiene section of other health food stores for $8-$10 bottle, but I buy it online for only $3.50-$4 a bottle now. I buy in bulk, it costs me about $55 for 15 bottles every six months, that includes UPS delivery, and I have long hair so I go through a lot more than most people would. At this point I've used two or three seperate online vendors in the same price range. Search in Google, you'll find it somewhere. One tip, look for a 1-800# for the vendor on their site, if they don't have enough staff to answer the phone you may want to keep looking until you find a larger seller.

I have no affiliation with the product or any of its vendors.

Oddly enough, I started using it with this moisturizing conditioner from a local 99-cent store(!) with continued positive results. The name of the conditioner is "High Volume" by Folicure, and it calls itself a "moisture therapy conditioner". I don't know how much luck you'll have locating this stuff though . . . I live in San Diego and its obviously bottled and produced in Tijuana, most of the production information is in Espanol. However, tucked into all the gibberish is . . .
"Fabricado y exportado por: Pantresse, Inc. 65 Shawmut Road, Canton, MA. 02021" Do a search on Pantresse? I'm not really recommending the conditioner, I'm just mentioning it. I am recommending the shampoo though.

Best wishes.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

CORRECTION: I meant Oliva, not Olivia.

Its got aloe in it along with the olive oil.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

I think there are two kinds of Oliva. The expensive stuff has Home Health on the label - $14 or $15. The other brand is Oliva by Cali - $3.50. Paula Begoun, who wrote Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products Without Me, says that the price of a shampoo is not a valid indicator of quality.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

Thanks for all your good work.

I was speaking of Home Health's Oliva, which is available for just $3-$4 a bottle online. I've gotten Home Health's Oliva in that price range from three different vendors now. And that price wasn't contingent upon purchasing in bulk. I did happen to buy between 12-15 bottles each purchase because I knew I liked the product, I'd use it up, and it happened to be a volume that took advantage of UPS's rates in the best way. Plus, I figured I was getting a dozen bottles for the price of three! Yeeha.

But now that you mention it I did see that other Oliva by Cali while searching for Home Health's Oliva. I know nothing of the quality of Cali's product, although I think I recall it was packaged more nicely to appeal to the salon and spa crowd (I believe it may have come in a "body wash" as well), and I think there was less volume per dollar.

Julie
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just had a look at the ingredients list for the Home Health version:

Water, TEA-Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Lauramide DEA, Linoleamide DEA, Olive Oil, Laneth-10 Acetate, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Aloe Vera Gel, Jojoba Oil, Panthenol, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Citric Acid.

Is TEA-Lauryl Sulfate the same, or close enough to Sodium Laurel Sulfate to want to be careful? Anyone know?

At any rate I'm glad it works so well for you. I'm thinking of giving it a try but I'm always wary of products with SLS in them.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Julie:

Pronounce this word ten times in front of the mirror - triethanolamine. This will help you articulate words when you sing and it will tighten up your lower facial muscles too. Triethanolamine (TEA) is fairly mild in its detergent action, but only a cosmetic chemist really knows the significance of the stuff that goes into a shampoo. I'm still looking for a good shampoo. If you have any ideas, give them to us. Are there any shampoo in Japan that you like?

Julie
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm not game to try anything where I can't read the ingredients list, LOL! And I haven't seen any imported stuff here that I like the look of, though I notice that Aubrey organics are now selling products in a couple of natural food shops, could be worth a look at. Though shampoos from health food shops never really seemed to do a lot for my hair in the past....

A shampoo that I like and have been using for a few years now is the Super Energizer Shampoo from the States. Not with all the hoo hah extras you can get with it which are supposed to stop your hair loss (hey, just check out the balding photo of the guy who invented it! LOL!), but just using the shampoo for shampoo's sake. It's got jojoba in it amongst other things, and I like how my hair looks and feels afterward. I'm nearly out of my current bottle and am always curious about products that other people like and recommend. Prices vary quite a lot for this particular shampoo so you should definitely shop around on the net first before buying.

Thanks for the info on TEA - if I am ever able to pronounce it I will keep you posted on its many wondrous effects on my articulation and face.

Julie

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Julie:

I'm going to get Super Energizer Shampoo today if I can find it. Paula Begoun gave Neutrogena Clean Balance her highest rating. I'm using it now but I don't like it.

When you're done with your TEA try this one: "She stood on the porch inexplicably mimicking his hiccuping as she amicably welcomed him home." This one should rev up your vocal cords.

Bryan Hansen
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey, I heard from multiple people that head and shoulders was bad for your hair, leading to hairloss. Is this valid? Also, I hear that the neutrogena Tea Gel is excellent for your hair.

PKA
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think you mean T-Gel. You'd be better off with Nizoral, but it's only for use twice a week so you might need a mild shampoo to use in between.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I wouldn't be suprised that head and shoulders did lead to hair loss. I used it through my teen years and hair loss started at 19 for me.

Bryan Hansen
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

yes I did mean T-Gel. Is Nizoral a similar product? And why should it only be used twice per week? I found the hairloss link to be informative, and it dismissed many myths I held about hairloss. I have restorted again to head and shoulders, its a temporary fix until I can find a more effective/recommended product. what is the main ingredient in Nizoral?

PKA
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 03:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nizoral is a shampoo for treating for severe dandruff and seborreic dermatitis containing a broad spectrum antifungal called ketoconazole. It is similar to T-Gel but with a different active ingredient.

I believe that the 2% version is only available on prescription in the US. In the UK you can buy it over the counter in most chemists. There is also a weaker 1% version available.

I have read that it is far more effective than its competitors, T-Gel included. The 1% formula is said to be ten times more effective than any other dandruff shampoo, and the 2% version is ten times more effective than the 1% formula.

Ketaconazole is also thought to be a mild anti-androgen, ie to prevent the buildup of DHT on the scalp. It is said that all clinical trials of Propecia and Minoxidil were conducted with all patients using Nizoral.

It has a lasting effect on the scalp meaning that it is unnecessary to use more frequently than every 3 to 4 days. And at six UK pounds for a tiny 60ml bottle I don't know why you would want to use it more than that! Fortunately you only need to use a tiny pearl-sized drop to work up a good lather so the tiny bottle still lasts for a couple of months.

From my experience if you have any problems with dandruff, itchy, flaking scalp etc. Nizoral will clear it completely within a week. And that fact, combined with its reputed value as an anti-androgen is why I use it every week. It's recommended by all dermatologists as far as I'm aware. I think you'll find that Nizoral is the one thing that all exprienced posters on this site will agree on as a worthy addition to your haircare regime. Even Tom uses it!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.