A mild shampoo? Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Hair Cosmetics » A mild shampoo? « Previous Next »

Brian
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've been to several different stores looking for a "mild" shampoo. I can't find ANYTHING on the shelves that says mild.

My scalps got redness, itchiness and inflammation issues which are being diminished by fish and flax oil. But I use V05 Clarifying with Rosemary extracts in it right now.

I've heard that shampoos with sodium lauryl sulfate and chemicals similar to it are bad for your scalp.

Tom can you recommend a mild, gentle shampoo for someone with red/inflammed scalp, and where I might be able to find it?

styx
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Brian, ive got a sensitive scalp too, but ive found that morrocco method apple cider vinegar shampoo is really good. Im using it now, and has no sls, and the apple cider gets rid of the dandruff. The only down side is its really hard to lather up. Also t-gel for sensitive scalps is really good, it's a sailic acid shampoo and doesnt have sls to any harsh degree.
Hope some of that info helped.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian:

I use the Morrocco Method shampoo too but I wouldn't recommend it because of the outrageous price and the shipping and handling cost and the bullshit advertising jargon. It's a good product though.

styx
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

yep, all the stuff they send with the product is a load of new age b.s. which made me think that i wasted my money. Another bad fact is the bottle size for the shampoo, it does take the piss a bit.

Brian
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Okay so I ran into this product called "Free and Clear" Shampoo for sensitive skin and scalp.

It says it's free of dyes, fragrance, masking fragrance, protein, parabens and formaldehyde.

Any experience with or knowledge of this product?

Been using it for a few days and it seems when I comb my hair I don't feel much itching anymore.

Anagen
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Why do you comb your hair?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian:

Here's what Paula Begoun in her book Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care Products Without Me says: "Free and Clear Shampoo for Sensitive Skin & Dry Scalp ($7.80 for 8 ounces) is a standard, very basic shampoo that does not contain conditioning agents, so there is no chance of buildup. This works beautifully for all hair types (including color-treated), although someone with very oily hair or scalp may find they really do need to lather, rinse, and repeat."

I'm going to try this shampoo. Thanks for the suggestion.

Brian
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

In response to Anagen. I comb it because of my hair type.

My hair is or possibly was (if the SE and life style change work) thinning. But it's still kinda all there. It wasn't bad yet, most people I know don't notice the difference, but then again alot of them didn't know me in High school 4 years ago when it was full and thick.

I've always combed it back, then parted it in the middle...combing it back out to each side. I put some american crew wax on it to make it look a little thicker, but generally when it dries it falls down over my forehead.

For a long time it seemed lifeless and brittle. I began taking fish oil, and flax oil (although I just cut out the flax oil because I realised with 6 grams of fish oil I was getting way too much omega 3). But that combined with doing the SE religiously, every day lots, my skin is much better all over my body and my scalp and hair feel much better. When I look in the mirror I seem to notice a slight, very subtle change in how it looks. It seems to shape a little more like it did 4 years ago.

I also seem to notice when I look in the mirror all the way down my part little/half hairs that are standing straight up, I don't remember ever seeing that before I started with the fish oil and SE. Everything, including the miniaturizing hairs would lay flat and lifeless.

Hopefully that's a good sign.

Brian
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

In response to Tom:

Sure. Hope it works for you. It doesn't smell all that great, but I don't care about that.

It's still got the laureth sulfates and stuff in it which I don't like much, but with all the other junk gone my scalp and hair seem to like it much better.

I remember before I started losing my hair using Pantene all the time, and thinking how much it made my scalp feel awful. Then I started paying attention to ingredients in shampoos....the less there are generally the better.

I ran across it at a local CVS. I haven't found it anywhere else, so if you have CVS near you try there. It's like 7.99 per bottle, which is much MUCH better than the other shampoos I've seen for sensitive scalps.

Post a reply and let me know what you think!

steven
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

hi folks!
anybody try creatine shampoo or added zix in shampoo? any success?

'

Hair Tomorrow
Username: Hair_tomorrow

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Can't speak to creatine - but I have made my own home-made zix shampoo. I simply added (10) of the "good" type of b6 tabs into a small bottle of Head & Shoulders w/ Aloe (one of their new formulations).

It's a wonderful shampoo and it leaves my hair looking soft and full.

I used to use it a lot more than I do now (now that I've started zix). But I think I might discontinue it altogether (only using that shampoo about 1x per week now).

Read an old study recently that just resurfaced comparing Nizoral to zinc pyth shampoo and how the nizoral increased the hair diameter and the zinc pyth shampoo decreased the hair diameter.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.