Vitamins in shampoo? Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Hair Cosmetics » Vitamins in shampoo? « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I see shampoos, or rather one shampoo, at the supermarket that has keratin as one of its ingredients. Other shampoos are evidently laced with vitamins. Can the keratin and the vitamins in these products be absorbed into the hair or into the scalp? What about Homosan? These are pills that contain keratin or nutrients derived from keratin. Could these pills possibly speed up hair growth or improve the look of existing hair? The pills are expensive and are made in Europe.

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous: These shampoos with biotin and other vitamins and minerals do look inviting. I used to buy them because I figured if the manufacturer put that stuff into the shampoo, then it must be absorbed by the hair or scalp. Why else would a company incur that added expense?

The reality is that the hair is dead hard keratin. It does not absorb any of these nutrients. The scalp doesn't absorb them either in the few minutes that the shampoo is lathered on. But this doesn't mean that these nutrients are not absorbed. They're absorbed by the drain and the plumbing system.

Homosan looks intriguing. I went to the Web site www.homosan.com which seems friendly enough. I was thinking that the site might have some exotic sexual orientation but it doesn't seem to. The product ($75 for a month's supply of pills) contains "essential nutrients derived from keratin." Evidently these nutrients are amino acids since these are the building blocks of keratin. Maybe it would be cheaper and more enjoyable to just eat a good steak for the amino acids, but that is being unfair to the product which "...has been successfully used by people in Europe for over 50 years..." So that's why these people, especially the girl people, in Europe have such gorgeous hair.

A. Critic
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I can't believe that you would state that because a product has been successfully used in Europe for 50 years that it is a worthwhile product. Many products have been used for a long time like Carter's Little Liver pills and Lydia Pinkum's preparation for women, but that doesn't mean that they are any good. The length of used has no bearing on the effectiveness of a drug.

Jack B. Suconik
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Eat a good steak? Now I know who is responsible for murdering 45 000,000,000 animals last year. What an appetite!!!I have been eating grass since my lawn mower resigned, more than twenty years ago (maybe that is why I'm a little green,)but unlike my omnivorous friends never constipated, sick, impotent or dead, but as bald as an eagle.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Are there any vitamins that help prevent and help regrow hair loss. Like I heard vitamin E is good for this?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

Some nutrients are probably good for the hair - the vitamin B-complex, zinc, copper, sulfur, omega-3 fatty acid. But I've not seen reputable scientific reports that indicate these nutrients can grow hair on balding scalps.

When you read the labels on "hair vitamins" there is only an implied statement that these products grow hair. The labels do not come right out and say, "Hey, this will take care of your hair loss."

If you have a horrible diet though - processed foods, transfats, very few fruit and vegetable dishes - your hair will probably suffer.

Suzanne Hanley
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does any one know about the product line EHT? (Extrem Hair Therapy) It can only be purchased at the Hair Club for Men? They wanted to charge me $1,500 for a six month supply. They say the Shampoo & Cream Rinse has "special" vitimins & if taken with Minoxidil - new hair will grow.

PKA
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If taken with minoxidil new hair may well grow... as a result of using the minoxidil.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"They wanted to charge me $1,500 for a six month supply." - Things like this make me angry. People with hair loss are vulnerable to slick advertising and sharp pitchmen. There's always someone who will try to take advantage of people suffering from lack of a positive self-image.

pete
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Some nutrients are probably good for the hair - the vitamin B-complex, zinc, copper, sulfur, omega-3 fatty acid. But I've not seen reputable scientific reports that indicate these nutrients can grow hair on balding scalps. "

I take some of these ie omega 3/6, zinc picolinate, pantothenic acid, lecithin, B complex, Vitamin C AND Epilobium (5ar inhibitor)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.