Does gel hurt hair? Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Hair Cosmetics » Does gel hurt hair? « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is using hair gel bad for the structure of the hair at all? I understand thinning hair must be treated gently so i dont want to do any excessive damage and i use gel in my hair almost every day (American Crew; strong hold gel) Is this bad? should i use something else as an alternative?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

Paula Begoun, a skin and hair care expert I respect, thinks the light hold, medium hold, and firm hold spray gels of American Crew are all excellent products. Gels have no negative impact on the hair follicles.

Colm F
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I usually avoid it as it draws attention to the receding hairline!

addie
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,
I am an almost nineteen-year-old female. I began to notice loss about four years ago after a summer of consistently using hair mousse (this was also a few months after undergoing a "relaxing" treatment for my frizzy hair). Anyway, I stopped using the mousse. I have not stopped losing hair, but it seems that whenever I use mousse/gel-even for a short period-the loss gets worse. However, I haven't seen this link documented anywhere. Do you think it's legit? (One theory I heard is that these products contain alcohol, which is bad for hair...I dunno)

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Addie:

I wish you'd take a look at Paula Begoun's Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products Without Me at the library. You'll see right away that she's a knowledgeable, honest expert on women's hair. She doesn't think that using hair mousse harms hair, but she has negative things to say about using relaxers.

"I heard is that these products contain alcohol, which is bad for hair...I dunno"

You can't believe everything you hear. Alcohol is not bad for hair, but it can make the scalp itch.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.