What effect do dyes have on hair? Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Hair Cosmetics » What effect do dyes have on hair? « Previous Next »

Chan
Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom....

What are your thoughts on Hair Dyes? I find that guys with thinning hair oftentimes dye their hair darker to give them a more fuller look (as well as replenish their original color). I used to do this a while ago, but I started getting paranoid that it might aggravate the thinning, what with all the chemicals and all. Some people say not to do it, while others say it's ok. It's not like it seeps into the follicle but then again, it can't be too good for an already weakened hair shaft.

thanks!

Chan

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Chan:

The nonpermanent and the semipermanent dyes are probably safe enough since they just coat the hair shaft. But the permanent dyes that penetrate the shaft might damage the hair (weakening chemical bonds) and possibly damage the hair follicles, especially if you do the coloring yourself. The same warning might be made about bad - harsh - bleaches. These bleaches could cause shedding. It's wise to be kind to your hair when using shampoos, conditioners, and coloring products.

Some speculative stuff: A friend of mine started taking megadoses of zinc - "I don't want a bad prostate," he told me. His prostate is still in excellent condition but his hair is now totally white after just six months.

Copper is important in hair pigment production. A deficiency in copper can cause the hair to lose pigmentation. High doses of zinc compete with copper for receptor sites in the scalp follicles. These megadoses of zinc in my friend's diet might have been the main contributing factor to his new look. He also lost a close photo finish on a longshot at the racetrace - this I'm sure had a negative impact on his hair.

I've been taking nutritional brewer's yeast for at least twenty years. This product is a good source of easily assimilated minerals including copper. My hair is as dark today as it was fifty years ago. I attribute this to brewer's yeast and staying away from the racetrack.

Chan
Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the advice, Tom!

Where can I buy brewer's yeast? Is it a common staple in health food stores?

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Chan:

I get my brewer's yeast from Puritan's Pride. You can get a catalog by calling 1-800-645-1030 or going to Puritan.com. I recommend the powder, not the tablets. This month you get three for one on everything. One 16 oz. can costs $11.45 but you get two free cans with the order. I mix the powdered yeast with a glass of orange juice every morning. It tastes OK. I must be a good salesman because I convinced at least a half dozen of my friends to drink this concoction. They all like it.

Freddie
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I usually get yogurt ice cream from baskin robins. Wonder if its the same thing as eating yeast. Is not yogurt made from yeast? Their Chocolate and vanilla sure tastes nice.

I'll stop by a brewery store and ask for brewer's yeast in a few days. Hopefully they are not selling this stuff by the gram over there. They usually have different grades of yeast for various beers and i've seen high prices on some of them.

Think it might be better than taking vitamin pills for B-complex. The one I'm taking now turns my urine a brilliant yellow. I swear you could paint your fence with this stuff.

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Freddie:

I used to get nutritional brewer's yeast from GNC. It tasted great because it had aspartame used as a sweetener. I've read some negative reports about aspartame which is synthesized from amino acids. The company that produces it claims it is safe because it's "natural." No need to worry about aspartame anymore in GNC yeast, though, because the company discontinued producing it. Yeast is a food and requires a big container. GNC, because of profit considerations, now wants to sell only pills and capsules. The profit margin on real food is too small.

Puritan's Pride yeast contains only yeast. It's an acquired taste. I now like it but I didn't at first. Check out the nutrients on the label. It has all the B vitamins, the trace minerals including copper, and all the amino acids except trytophan. "50% natural protein" it says on the label.

My urine is a little yellow too although I never attempted to paint with it. You probably know who Dr. Loren Pickart is. This morning I read chapter 16 of his Skin Biology site. In this chapter, "Pheromones for Attraction and Bonding," he says that strong male urine attracts females even if they are unconscious of the attraction. We should be getting a lot of smiles and giggles from nubile women. My personal opinion, though, is that a red convertible Corvette might be more of a turn-on than strong-smelling, yellow urine.

Freddie
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Slap on a little urine for a night in the town perhaps? Mark the front yard with a calling card or two?

Dr. Loren Pickart has certainly got theories coming out the wazoo.

I'll hit one of those health stores and check it out there. I don't know what the deal is with aspartame but I get panic attacks and a racing heart whenever I consume too much of it. Considering it cannot be metabolised by the body (hence you don't get fat on it), I'm not sure why I experience those symptoms.

Ernest
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

Just to share my experience with Brewer's Yeast. I started taking it in tablet form a few months ago, they were very anaemic looking yellow tabs. For about a month now I have been taking the bulk brewer's yeast from my local health food store, it is a nice brown colour. I take a heaped tablespoon every morning in grape juice.

I have noticed two things after taking the bulk stuff, my scalp has minimal dandruff and I feel more energetic. Also my complexion appears clearer.

Unfortunately my urine still remains pale, perhaps this is why I don't attract ladies or it may be because time and tide have not stood still for me.

Also another benefit of the yeast in juice is the excellent effect it has had on my bowel regularity, though I don't know why as I would surmise there is no roughage in the yeast. Probably the B vits.

My hair at 56 is completely grey, I live in hope of a colour change back to original colour after extended consumption.

Regards,
Ernest.

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ernest:

Several people who I convinced to take brewer's yeast told me of dandruff control and improved complexion too. I want to give you some roundabout guesswork for the possible reasons for these improvements.

Several years ago there was a study done in Finland about the relation of beta-carotine and its effect on lung cancer. It was assumed that the administration of this nutrient in the experimental group would lessen the risk of cancer. It did not. There was speculation that because the beta-carotine was administered as a single synthesized nutrient the expected benefits did not occur. There is plenty evidence that when beta-carotine is absorbed from its natural sources (spinach, sweet potatoes, broccoli) it has an anti-carcinogenic effect.

Brewer's yeast is a real food and a natural source of all the B vitamins (except B-12) in a fairly balanced ratio; the trace minerals including copper, selenium, and zinc; and all the amino acids except tryptophan. And because yeast is a natural food it may have other unidentified nutritional factors that have not been discovered or synthesized yet. Another important item is that the nutrients from yeast are easily absorbed. Very often concentrated nutrients in pills are not absorbed easily.

All these vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and unidentified nutritional factors may work synergistically. In other words, there might be a harmonious action of all these nutrients working together that none of these nutrients working alone could produce.

"Also my complexion appears clearer."

I think that healthy skin, especially scalp skin, and healthy hair follicles are closely related. Anything done to improve the quality of the skin may improve the density, thickness, and pigmentation of the hair. (Perhaps wishful thinking.)

As long as you're taking brewer's yeast you may as well go all out and eat the foods that give you the essential fatty acids too. The omega-3 EFAs are found in deepwater fish, fish oil (I take a small amount of cod liver oil), and certain vegetable oils. The omega-6 EFAs are found in raw nuts, seeds, legumes, and soybean oil.

"My hair at 56 is completely grey, I live in hope of a colour change back to original colour after extended consumption."

If your hair is not completely dark by next month, I'll give you your money back.

Samantha Scott
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Although I am a female, this might help. I went to see my dermatolgist regarding hair loss and she strongly recommended Tricomin By Procyte. It is a copper shampoo which restores the hair. I have been using it and actually see results. You can visit the web site and see what you think as you can only purchase this online or via telephone. Look under Procyte or go into hotbot.com and key in tricomin and you'll find it.

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Samantha Scott:

Dr. Loren Pickart is the one who developed the drugs with copper peptides. If you want to spend some time on his site, which is quite technical, go to Skin Biology. He started Procyte but now has his own company that pushes copper peptide products. Go to chapter 10 and 11 and read them a couple of times. They'll give you tons of information (psychic overload) on hair.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom.

Why would you suggest taking brewer's yeast in powder, not pill form? Is it because it's absorbed faster that way? thanks...

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

The only reason I suggest taking brewer's yeast in the powder form is that it is easy to mix the powder with orange juice. It's a good drink although I admit it is an acquired taste. It is certainly easily absorbed, but I don't know if it is any more easily absorbed than the pill form.

I've started many people on this drink (I should get some cash back from Puritan's Pride). Everyone seems to like it. Don't think of it as a miracle nutrient though. It will not grow hair on a billiard ball.

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

i started to dye my hair black with a cheap dye a little over a year ago and after a couple of months a noticed a lot of hair loss that i hadn't seen before i'm twenty two and have no family history of baldness i stopped dying my hair and taking a minoxidil solution can i expect
my hair to return and if so do i have to take rogaine for the rest of my life

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

The permanent dyes are usually not a good idea. Other dyes that you can wash out even if they are cheap should not hurt your hair. I doubt if dyeing your hair was the trigger for your hair loss.

The company that makes Rogaine states in the written material about this drug that if you stop using it, all that you have gained will be lost. It does look like a lifetime of use. It is also estimated that some 30% of people after years of use develop a "resistance" to the drug. They have to use more of it just to keep getting the same results.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if styling-products (like gel, wax or mousse) are bad for your hair?

I use a gel without alcohol (I asumed that was a good choise) but I always think that it's better not to use styling-products at all.

That's the problem though; gel does make my hair look thicker, and it helps me camouflage the thinner spots.

I like to know if there are special products that are more friendly for your hair than others.

(I failed to make a new topic of this, that's why I placed it right here)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.