Shampoo Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Hair Cosmetics » Shampoo « Previous Next »

Nancy
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello, I have a shampoo question! I purchase a Clairol like shampoo at a discount store. The ingredients are the same, but the results are not! After continued use (I shampoo 3 times a week) my scalp breaks out in little(very little) bumps or sores. I've switched to baby shamppos, i.e. Johnson & Johnson, but the baby and 'gentle' shampoos don't seem to clean the hairsprays and volumizers completely. Any suggestions for an afordable shampoo that is gentle, yet effective?
Thanks for any light you can shed on this problem.

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nancy, many cheap shampoos, I think Clairol included, use as one of their many chemical ingredients sodium lauryl sulfate. This chemical removes too much oil from the scalp, and this in turn may irritate sensitive scalps by leaving the scalp too dry. The removal of too much sebum may also overstimulate the sebaceous glands. Overstimulated sebaceous glands produce too much sebum (oil) rich in DHT. DHT can be harmful to the hair follicles of people predisposed to hair thinning.

I use Johnson and Johnson shampoo sometimes but I get the Osco brand which is the same product but at half the price. As you say, it is gentle but doesn't clean too well. Of course I don't have hairsprays and volumizers to contend with.

Many experts recommend using several shampoos, alternating one with another. The explanation is that the scalp gets used to one shampoo and builds up a tolerance to it. This sounds plausible but I wish I could find some more convincing explanation.

I'm thinking of trying a shampoo I saw advertised in a health food store. It has a jojoba oil base which is supposed to neutralize bacteria in the scalp. Experimentation is probably the best way to find the shampoos that are right for you. I often tend to get swayed by advertisements and then become disillusioned when the product is worthless.

Virginia
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom:

I have been using Biolage Energizing Shampoo by Matrix for many years. A 16 oz. bottle costs around $8.00 and it is gentle but effective with my fine hair. I recommend it highly.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2001 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Do you know what constitutes daily normal hair loss and is there any shampoo product that prevents hair loss?

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2001 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The normal shedding of old telogen hair is 50 to 100 per day. If the old hair is being replaced by new anagen hair, though, no hair loss will be evident. If you are losing 100 hairs a day and only 50 are being replaced, then eventually you'll see thinning.

When you read the advertisements for some shampoos, you might see hints in these advertisements suggesting that the product could possibly prevent hair loss or even promote the growth of new hair. The truth is that no shampoo will halt hair loss. The good shampoos clean your hair; the bad shampoos irritate your scalp. If you find a shampoo that grows new hair, let me know. I'll advertise it on my Web site and make a million dollars.

Rafael Delmar
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,
As a shampoo I use a 100% pure vegetal Oats soap.
It was recommended by a homeopathic doctor, and Its very good. Does not leave my scalp tight or dry. Try it !

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom + Anyone else,

DO you know of any sites i could perhaps start my research on for ingredients in shampoos that are harmful for hair. I would really appreciate input from anybody
thanks

NM

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom, What About Nisim Shampoo,any oppinion,
Slim

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

Some affiliates that sell Nisim products say, "Control hair loss within a week." And the products are guaranteed. What's wrong with that?

I don't have any personal experience with Nisim. You can click www.nisim.com and read all about it though. There's an American flag on the home page under which the company says that it supports American troops whether at home or abroad. There's a pizza store near me with a sign that says, "Support our troops" and then under it, "Eat Pizza."

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anybody had any experience with NISSIM SHAMPOO

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Tom

What do you think of this guys argument?
http://www.getitback.us/index.html

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

Lawrence Cutsinger surfaces again, this time with his own website. I'll let others evaluate his anti-establishment theory. One suggestion he makes, though, I think is sound: use only a small amount of shampoo when you wash your hair and rinse it out well. And don't use a conditioner. I don't use a conditiner but some people with dry hair might need one. That last suggestion about conditioners and dry hair is mine. Don't blame LC for that bit of heresy.

Julie
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I use a conditioner, but never anywhere near the scalp. (my hair's long). Initial reason (ever since my teens) was because it made the scalp and hair nearer to the scalp oily very quickly. The ends tend to be dry and really need it for detangling. I also sometimes us a spray-on detangle conditioner which is also good.

I like the idea of using less shampoo.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, has anyone heard of the Goldsmith Institute of Hair Care? I believe that they are based in Ireland, I tracked down there web site www.anngoldsmith.com this lady has apparently been helping hair loss victims for over 40 years, I was put onto her by a friend of mine who reckons her products work, well they appear to do so for him.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Hi, has anyone heard of the Goldsmith Institute of Hair Care?"

I just came across your post about it on Hairsite.
http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=8&topic_id=32101&mesg _id=32119&page=
Your story is a bit different there though:

(Sidoli Member since Sep 27th 2005
1 posts posted Tue Sep-27-05 11:26 AM)
"It seemed the same to me, as I was also reciding at the temples, I had all but given up when I stumbled across The Goldsmith Institute of Hair Care at www.anngoldsmith.com I had a distance diagnosis with this lady and she recommended a product that she has made for her in Italy, it was called Kera a liquid in phials that you apply and after 5 weeks of treatment I can deffinatly see new growth. Anyone else come across this lady?"

Notice the similar wording:
You:
"Hi, has anyone heard of the Goldsmith Institute of Hair Care?"
"sidoli" on hairsite:
" Anyone else come across this lady?"

I conclude you're a liar who can't keep his story straight and that you're untrustworthy and that your product is crap. Thanks for making it so easy to expose you.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.