Saw Palmetto--How does this fit into ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Alternative Treatments » Saw Palmetto--How does this fit into the mix? « Previous Next »

Catherine
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Everywhere I go I read about the miracle of saw palmetto. Even the tabloids have articles on what it can do. In the science section of a major magazine I read that saw palmetto keeps DHT from binding to the receptor sites of the hair follicles. Are there any potential negative side effects from taking this herb? The woman behind the counter at GNC assured me that it was completely without side effects because it is a natural product.

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The oil extracted from the berries of the saw palmetto bush is reported to help people with pattern baldness although there are no clinical trials to give statistical evidence of this. This phytochemical (plant chemical) has been used for a long time as an alternative medicine for treating benign prostatic hyperplasia - non-cancerous enlargement of the prostate. I'm looking at an advertisement right now in my Puritan's Pride catalogue of supplements. There's a picture of a white-haired man with a lascivious smile looking at his wife or girlfriend. This picture is on the saw palmetto page. Evidently the saw palmetto is working for this man.

But how does it work for pattern baldness? One theory is that it works by inhibiting both Type I and Type II 5-alpha reductase. These are the enzymes that convert free testosterone to DHT. Another theory is that saw palmetto works at the sites of the androgern receptor cells in the hair follicles preventing or slowing down the binding of DHT at these sites.

There are probably no harmful side effects if the supplement is not taken on an empty stomach. Women who are pregnant or who might become pregnant should not use saw palmetto though because it is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. This inhibition of 5-alpha reductase can be harmful to a male fetus.

In my Puritan's Pride catalogue I see Standardized Saw Palmetto Extract (160 mg. softgells) listed at 60 for 27.95. Kind of pricey. The usual dose is 160 mgs. twice daily. If you're thinking about this supplement, get it from a reputable company and get only the oil extract. The leaves of the plant have no value.

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

I'm currently 21 years old and have a receding hairline. I'm not sure of the cause because baldness doesn't run in my immediate family. I have decided to try some herbal supplements to see how they work. I've been taken Saw Palmetto( 2 pills daily of 160mg each), Zinc (50mg), Vitamin B6(50mg), vitamin C, and a Vitamin for the hair that contains b-complex, iron, copper, zinc, biotin, folic acid, niacin and others. Before starting to take these pills I was losing I would say about 150-200 hairs a day, but after 3 weeks it seems like the hair loss has definitely slowed down. Do you think that this is safe for me to be taking these supplements and if I stop taking them will I start losing my hair at the same rate? Also, do you think that since the hair loss slowed down there is a chance for regrowth with these herbs? Please right back and let me know what you think about this and especially how you feel about Saw Palmetto because I do think that is the reason for the decrease in hair loss. Thanks!

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

The loss of 150-200 hairs a day is high. The usual rate of loss is 50 a day. I'm amazed that after just three weeks on your new regimen your hair loss has slowed down.

I'm not writing this message to you as a guru of nutrition who has all the answers. I just want to give you my present thoughts on the subject of nutrition and hair loss. First of all, I would be careful about taking too much zinc. You're taking 50 mg in a supplement plus more zinc in a supplement specifically for the hair. You're also probably getting 15 mg from your ordinary diet. If your zinc intake is too high, this can interfere with copper absorption which in turn may impair iron metabolism. It might be better to stay at around the 50 mg level if you intend to take zinc for the long term.

Saw palmetto is a natural product derived from the berry of the saw palmetto tree. Most people think that products derived from natural sources are, almost by definition, harmless. (Opium, by the way, is derived from a natural source.) If I had benign prostatic hyperplasia, I'd take saw palmetto. But for hair loss I'd be reluctant to take it on a long-term basis. It does change your hormone balance - this may have consequences. Read what it says about saw palmetto on MD Advice. "Take it for only a short time and do not exceed the recommended dosage."

I'm not smart enough to answer your two most important questions: (1) If I stop taking the supplements, will I start losing my hair at the same rate? (2) Is there a chance for regrowth with these herbs?

Long-term studies have not been done to determine the effectiveness of Saw palmetto on hair loss. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence out there, but is it reliable? A nutrition guru on public TV, for example, talks about regrowing his hair after his high vitamin, mineral, and herbal diet. He also said that his hair came back dark. I plain don't believe him.

Since you seem just as intent to stop your hair loss as I was when I started losing mine, I wish you would consider My Approach. This might be science fiction, too, but I wrote it as a true believer, not as someone with a product to sell.

Tom
Posted on Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

I think that my hair loss might be from blow drying and styling. I have been blow drying my hair for the past two years and about a year ago I noticed hair loss and now I am at the point where my hair line is receding. I have tried to just stop blow drying my hair, but I kind of have to now because it's the only way that my hair gets that "full" look and hides the receding. Is there any kind of shampoo I can use that can give my hair thermal protection from blow drying or and other kind of product. I really just want to let my hair air dry, but my hair loss would be more noticeable that way. Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks a lot!

Tom
Posted on Friday, April 05, 2002 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

Also, one more thing. Is hair that is lost from harsh treatment like blow drying gone for good or can that hair still grow back in once you thermally protect your scalp against blow drying? Also, is your scalp excercises helpful in hair loss caused by blow drying?

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom:

Your're evidently using the blow dryer on a daily basis. These are just a few tips from someone who does not use a blow dryer.

1. Use a leave-in conditioner when you use the blow dryer. This protects the hair from the heat waves. I'm sure if you look around, you'll find a conditioner that will give you some "thermal protection."

2. Don't hold the blow dryer too close to your hair. I'm sure you know this already.

3. Move the blow dryer around so as not to overexpose one area of scalp too long.

You want to know if hair lost through harsh treatment can still grow back. If the harsh treatment is from a blow dryer, the damage done is probably just to the hair shaft, not to the hair follicle. Damage done to the hair shaft is not permanent. Damage done to the follicle may be permanent, but this kind of damage is usually the result of burns or frostbite.

The kind of hairloss you describe may be male pattern baldness not related in any way to your blow drying ritual. Will the scalp exercise I describe in My Approach be beneficial to you? I don't know.

James
Posted on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Could saw palmetto be massaged into the scalp, either by crushing pills into a fine powder and dissolving them in water, or by finding saw palmetto already dissolved in water or alcohol?

I have heard that saw palmetto can have a negative effect on sexual performance and it seems to me that local application would be much preferrable to oral intake for this reason. I mean, there isn't much point in improving the condition of your hair only to ruin your virility.

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

James:

I may be wrong about this but I think the molecules of the active ingredient in saw palmetto are too large to be absorbed through the scalp. Your last sentence is on the money. I may plagiarize it in the future - "...there isn't much point in improving the condition of your hair only to ruin your virility."

AJ
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Can anyone recommend a specific type of Saw Palmetto pill/powder/product? I have read that because Saw Palmetto is classified as a natural type of drug, the FDA does not monitor the myriad of Saw Palmetto supplements that are on the market. Consequently, one can not tell what portion of them are pure Saw Palmetto extracts and what portion include more harmful synthetic substances. I just want to try some type of pure Saw Palmetto extract - or at least something that is as close to pure as possible, and inexpensive. Some people, expecially women, have also talked about Saw Palmetto reducing body hair, which makes theoretical sense. But why is this not commonly reported by men?

AJ

mm
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, I would like to know if women can use saw palmeto and if yes how to take it. thanks!

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

mm:

There are ongoing studies trying to determine the effectiveness of saw palmetto for women. No results yet have been published.

The consensus of opinion that I've seen on the Web is that saw palmetto doesn't do much to stop hair loss in either men or women.

Check out this company - Puritan's Pride. I get my supplements there because the price is low and the quality seems OK.

I've seen reports that the quality of saw palmetto varies from one brand name to another. It's really hard to determine what brands deliver what they promise.

At least you don't have to worry about benign prostatic hyperplasia. That's where saw palmetto seems to work.

Tony G
Posted on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm 32 years old,and my father suffered from bph (prostate problems.) Recently,(the begining of last summer)I started to suffer the same problems-basicly,you have to wait thirty seconds before your pee starts coming out, when you go in the morning.After this started happening,it happened EVERY MORNING since it started, without fail.I had a bottle of saw palmetto in my closet that I never opened (a possible hair remedy) that I never gave a thought to until then. I knew about its possible prostate benefits and took a couple of gelcaps before going to bed.By THE NEXT MORNING my problem was gone! No lie! completly! I did not expect them to work at all, and its not in my head because if I stop taking them, the problem comes right back - I even tested them by going on and off them on purpose to see if in fact it was the saw palmetto,and it had to be. The thing is,NO 5-AR inhibitor can work that fast (even if it blocks all your existing test from becoming DHT it cant touch the DHT already circulating) I hope its not just some natural anti-inflamitory.Maybe it blocks DHT directly... What do you think,Jerry?

Tony G
Posted on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jerry????? Who the hell is Jerry?! Whadda ya think,TOM!?

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tony G:

Yeah, who the hell is this Jerry?

I have no prostate problems but I had the PSA (prostate specific antigen) test done anyway. Mine was 1.55 ng/ml. Normal is between 0.0 and 4.0. Did you get this test done?

Both saw palmetto and green tea are supposed to be good for both prostate and hair health. Saw palmetto blocks both type I and type II 5 alpha-reductase molecules from binding to cells in the prostate and hair follicle. A high intake of green tea probably produces high levels of sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). This SHBG binds to testosterone. Testosterone that is bound to SHBG cannot be converted into the DHT which has an adverse effect on the prostate and the hair.

But THE NEXT MORNING! Miracles still happen evidently. It must be great to start the New Year right - peeing without a problem.

Tony G
Posted on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,Have you ever read any scientific studies showing that saw palmetto inhibits 5 ar? I've looked on the net for this info and never found it.If it in fact it really does, we shouldn't take this common herb lightly! Let me know if you've ever read any.

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tony G:

Read these articles. The second article compares the the effectiveness of saw palmetto to proscar in combating benign prostatic hyperplasia:
Saw Palmetto Introduction
Saw Palmetto Compared to Proscar

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom

How can you really say that you shouldn't take Saw P. long term? I've done extensive research and as far as herbs go I understand they are more balanced than the drugs we make from the herbal source, which we alter the potency of to make pharm grade products.

To me its a matter of not overdoing the dosage. after you acheive a certain level of satisfaction maybe back of to a maintanence dosage?

Your thoughts?

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

TOM

I read your link at MdAdvice and I personaly think it was a bit on the overdone side. Meaning It seemed a little paranoid the way they came off. I really havent seen much negative publicity about SP at all. What do you think?

curious

arutha
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'd be leery of that data, considering the source (a saw palmetto supplier) and since it isn't clear how they got it.

The consensus on other message boards seems to be that SP helps a bit with hair loss, but not a great deal.

I took it myself for a while (individually and then via Prostaguard) and can't say if it made any difference or not.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

HI TOM

I have just started do you your program. But I want to fight my hair loss problem from other angles to. I thought of taking Vig-rx (vigrx.com) pills which increases sexual appetite and the testosterone level, and also contains Saw palmetto. I thought of combining proscar and this pill to reduce any side effect. Do you or anyone know in any way if it is harmful combining these?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

I hope other people visit www.vigrx.com and give you their thoughts about these products. Are you actually that naive to believe the stuff on that site? But I suppose if a company makes an outrageous enough claim (three inch permanent growth of the penis) someone will send in some money. Tell us how you're doing.

I don't know if combining Propecia and Vig-rx is harmful. I don't even know if combining Propecia and snakeoil is harmful. I do know that you'll have to do some reading so that you won't be taken in by scam products in the future. (Propecia is not a scam product.)

arutha
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Makes your penis permanently larger, increases your libido.... it just seems to do everything, doesn't it?

The ingredient that supposedly increases libido and "sexual energy" (their phrase) is Saw Palmetto. I've not heard anyone else make this claim--even the "all natural" jokers who swear by it. We know that Saw Palmetto reduces the prostate slightly and may have a very slight effect on hair loss.

Keep in mind that a lot of these herbal penis enlargement products are advertised via bulk e-mail, a sure sign that their claims and effectiveness are questionable.

JoeKidd
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've been taking Saw Palmetto (along with Nicain, Biotin, Folic Acid, et. al.) for almost three years now (through HairGenesis). Initially I was taking two tablets daily at 160mg but since November I've been at two at 200. It hasn't regrown any hair but it has stabilized my hair loss to some degree. I can also safely say that it has not adversely affected my libido or stomach in any way.

I believe that Puritan's Pride is offering 1,000 mg tablets, but that amount extends well beyond the recommended dosage so I have refrained from trying it. Anyone else?

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Iíve been thinking about trying saw palmetto. From what Iíve read itís also suppose to be safe for women. Can anyone recommend where I can get the good stuff as the effectiveness may depend on the brand. I was looking at this web site www.hollandandbarrett.com. Are they reliable. Also there is a liquid extract of saw palmetto. Could this be applied to the scalp? (or are u suppose to drink it??) Would it be better to use the liquid extract?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

I can't answer your question about the benefit of taking the liquid extract of saw palmetto instead of the capsules. I do know that you should get this product from a trusted source - one that has been in business a long time like www.puritan.com. There are no firm standards in how much of the active ingredient will be in a capsule or liquid - that's why you have to depend on the integrity of the company you buy from. The active ingredient is in the oil extract from the berries of the plant, not in the leaves.

This active ingredient is supposed to inhibit both type 1 and type 2 of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase. This is the enzyme that converts testosterone circulating in the bloodstream into DHT. It also is supposed to reduce the binding of DHT and perhaps other androgens to the receptor sites on hair follicle cells.

Pregnant women should not use saw palmetto because it might have a negative effect on a male fetus.

I hope someone will post a message about the effectiveness of using saw palmetto applied to the scalp.

Probably you should not take mega doses - greater than 500mg. If you do take mega doses, take them after a meal.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

what dosage should i take of saw palmetto, currently i'm contimplating going with 150 to start, but i see others at around 300 and even 500, what should i do? help!

arutha
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I didn't know it was available in 150. I usually see it in either 160 or 320mg divisions, with 320 being the recommended dosage. Of course, some companies make much higher doses because someone will always buy a higher dosage thinking it will work better.

I've also heard that you need the gelcaps (the oils from the berries) and not the tablets.

ash
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

From what i've read you have to make sure that the saw palmetto is 160mg of standardized 85% / 95% fatty acids and sterols. Less is suppose to be useless.

i think the recommended dose is 2 X 160mg a day.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ash:

You've stated it exactly right. These are the softgels that are the most potent and easily assimilated. It's best to get this herbal extract from a reputable company because no government agency watches over the amount or grade of the active ingredient.

Ash
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

Iíve just started taking SP. I'm now trying to take a multi-layered approach. I thought Iíd start with the 'natural' approach. Donít have a clue if itíll help but itís worth a try.

Everyday I have
2/3 mugs of green tea
Brewers yeast
Teaspoon of cod liver oil
Sunflower seeds
Saw palmetto (160mg x 2) Ė Iím hoping once the SE kicks in Iíll stop so hopefully this will be short term.

Iím also thinking about adding L Ė Lysine. Iíve read itís supposed to enhance the effects of propecia. As Propecia and SP are similar Iím wondering if L-Lysine will also enhance the effects of Saw Palmetto's?? Has anyone else/Tom heard/read about this??

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ash:

Lysine is supposed to increase the effectiveness of drugs like Propecia and Avodart (dutasteride) which women are not to take. Some reason from this that l-lysine (an essential amino acid) will increase the effectiveness of other DHT blockers too, saw palmetto being one of these.

I hope someone posts a link to a good article about this topic. The only articles I can find are the ones posted on the sites that sell l-lysine.

ash
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

Think Iím gonna start using L-lysine. Found this. Worth a read.

http://www.thebaldtruth.com/products/lysine.htm

One more question, when using SP is there an initial shedding period?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ash:

The article you gave a link to is convincing. But is supplementation for lysine necessary? It would seem necessary if a person is a vegetarian. But if a person eats animal products - fish, meat, cheese - I don't think so. If you look at the numbers of milligrams of lysine in lean meat and fish, the numbers are huge.

I have never seen any report of an initial hair loss with saw palmetto. I just received my order today from Puritan's Pride - Saw Palmetto, 160 mg, standardized extract (85 -95% fatty acids). This is not for my hair but as a preventive measure against prostate problems. I also ordered it for a friend who is in my age range. Maybe it'll grow hair on my prostate gland.

ash
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

(At the expense of sounding completely illogical) I realise using l-lysine, Saw palmetto, green tea, nizoral, SE, brewers yeast, etc is probably not going to have any effect but Iíve still chosen to add these to my regime because I guess psychologically it makes me feel better. Maybe Iím being naive but I thought that the sum total of a combined therapy is probably greater than its individual parts.

Iíve got a derm appointment next week. Iím even contemplating to take the chemical approach although that has always been my last resort. I need to find out more about it but what are your thoughts on birth control pills?

mike
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Everyone is saying that 350mg of saw palmetto is the most that one should consum in a day, but what about other pills such as procerin and prostaguard which have much more then the recommended dosage. Are those pills better then just taking saw palmetto or are their more side effects to them?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

javier
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hey Tom, I started to lose my hair at 23 and at 25 I started taking propecia which seemed to slow down the loss. After over a year it seemed that my body became immune to the effects of propecia and I also developed pain under my right rib cage where the liver is supposed to be located so I stopped taking propecia to avoid liver damage. I am now 30 and of course, my hair continues to fall out.

Cutting my hair really short seemed to also slowed the loss; however, I shaved my head in September and as soon as it started to grow back I could see all these tiny hairs falling out when I showered.
I received a magazine from Ballys with an article about saw palmetto, zinc and green tea for hair loss. I started to take saw palmetto in powder form then I ran into procerin while researching the net on saw palmetto. I have been taking Procerin for two months and it seemed to slowed my hair loss but mostly on the top of my head and back. I do continue to see my hair falling out more so in the front.

I am currently taking one cap of procerin and one gel cap of saw palmetto twice daily.

Is it ok for me to combine procering and saw palmetto gel caps or should I just stick to one or the other?

Thank you for your time and support through this horrific time of my life

SingaporeBoy
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 02:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

From what i heard Saw palmetto doesn't work..do more research on this..websites like www.hairlosstalk.com will help.The green tea is good tho but taste awful..yuck..!

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Javier:

I hope someone who is an expert on pills will answer your question - "Is it ok for me to combine procerin and saw palmetto gel caps or should I just stick to one or the other?"

I'm not a big believer in the magic of pills. Maybe you or someone will find the "proper mix" someday and the problem of hair loss will be solved but I doubt it. My preference is a disciplined life with proper exercise and a diet of good natural food. This life style will probably do more for your general health and your hair health than any proper mix of procerin and saw palmetto.

But people like the idea of taking a pill to solve a problem. They take a pill to lose weight, to stop smoking, to improve their mood, and so forth. If I had the urgent need to make a fast buck, I'd be selling pills or pushing some fad like the Atkins diet (eat all the crap you want and still look great).

But you didn't post your question to hear me rant on. You want a quick answer to a quick question. I'm sure some drug guru will post a message that will ease your mind.

javier
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

thank you for answering my message. I do have another question. Can Saw Palmetto be a cause of hair loss?

Javier, Thank you

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Javier:

Saw palmetto does not cause hair loss but I would not depend on this one product to halt your hair loss or grow new hair.

All saw palmetto products are not created equal. Get herbal supplements from a reliable company. A company that has a good reputation for both quality and price is www.puritan.com. The kind to get is "standardized extract containing 85 - 95% fatty acids and biologically active sterols."

There are several theories why saw palmetto might help with male pattern baldness.

1. Saw palmetto might neutralize or partially neutralize the enzyme 5-alpha reductase. This is the enzyme that converts testosterone into DHT.

2. Molecules of saw palmetto might bind to androgen receptor sites in the cytosol of hair follicle cells thereby preventing DHT from binding there. (The cytosol is the area of the cell between the cell membrane and the nucleus.)

3. I've also read that saw palmetto stimulates mitogenesis (cell division) in the keratinocytes thus promoting growth of the hair shaft. I've seen no evidence backing up this claim.

javier
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks again for your reply. I read in some forum that SP can block the incorrect enzymes? and stop hair growth and even accelerate hair loss. Can that be the case?

I look forward to your response. Thank you.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Javier:

I've seen articles stating that SP was effective, and articles stating that it was ineffective in halting hair loss or promoting the growth of new hair. I have not seen anything indicating that SP will stop hair growth or accelerate hair loss.

If you or anyone comes across material about the negatives of SP, please post the article or the URL. I'm interested in this topic.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is there a limit to how much saw palmetto can be taken per day and if so what is it?

javier
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

here is the website http://www.hairlosstalk.com just go to the discussion forum and there are many groups regarding saw palmetto. None of them claim that they have had positive effects but rather they all seem disappointed by it.

Tom, thanks again

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

..I take SP and it does help slow hair loss and also helps the enlarged prostate problem I have,so SP does work..I take the capsules..tea and tincture..not at once though,I rotate each one at different times..I think it depends on the person who takes it..SP also helps kill candida {a fungus condition}..

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

an odd incident has occoured. when i take one capsule of 500mg of SP there is pain in my left testicle. any ideas besides heading to the er?

is there a chance that it was inflammed/enlarged and the SP is doing it's J.O.B.?

d

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

weird the pain has now passed after taking the herb for a few days. something maybe new users should keep in mind.

d

Joe
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 02:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey, Yeah actually i was going to post about this pain too some time ago... I'm glad someone else has noticed this... I get the pain off and on its like a dull pain in my left testicle... its not that bad of a pain either its only when i take saw palmetto tho... I have been searching the internet and found that some people that take propecia have the exact same pain we are talking about with saw palmetto... Who knows what this means.. But i would like to hear from anyone else who has experinced this..

Bye

joe

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I hope some people reply to Joe's message. A friend of mine started taking saw palmetto for a prostate problem and has experienced the same pain in his left testicle. Why specifically the left testicle? This is an interesting subject.

Joe
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

i also find it interesting that only some saw palmetto products seem to have this effect, (maybe meaning it's effectve?).. I first noticed it when i was taking a natures way saw palmetto product, but when using several other brands, nothing... then when i started to read about procerin on this website i decided to buy a bottle and that same weird left testicle pain :-) came back. I will try to find the posts of propecia users about this, as there were quite a few people who had it but just kind of disregarded it. I'll be back

Joe

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

that is weird beacuse i am taking the "natures way" as well. the pain in the pass week comes and goes, but not like in the begining. felt like someone kicked me in the groin. thanks.

d

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Can a 23 year old woman use Saw P. I expect to have kids in the future. Will this affect my fertility or anything?

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

sure, but don't blame us when you have to get your ovaries removed to find hair and teeth growing in them. i think i saw something like that on ripley's.

d

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi guys,

Basically from what I have read on the net, the recommended dosage of 160 x 2 tablets for Saw Palmetto is for combating PROSTRATE problems. Thats the recommended dosage for prostrate issues, not hair. i.e you take one whole Proscar pill a day for prostrate problems but 1/5 of a Proscar pill is recommended if your're taking for hair issues.

So we actually need not take 160 x 2 SW pills for our hair? Correct me if I'm wrong, pls. Thanks guys.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

SingaporBoy:

Green tea is only "yuck" if you make it wrong.
If the water is too hot, you make a bitter tea.

Try it this way:
Put one teaspoon of loose Green Tea into a teapot. Pour in hot (not boiling) water (80 degrees celsius or 170 degree fahrenheit) Cover with lid, and let it brew for at least 3 MINUTES.

Add honey and it's delicious.

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

i have been taking the anti depressant lexapro and i have noticed a change in my hair. it seems very coarse and if falling out. should i continue this drug or stop taking it?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

If you need an antidepressant, no one should tell you not to take it. But antidepressants often are associated with the kind of hair loss known as telogen effluvium. This is usually not a permanent form of hair loss. You will probably not see hair loss as one of the side effects on the patient insert, but it is a potential side effect just the same.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Green tea should be thought of as a replacement for water at first. It takes years to acquire a taste for it. The Japanese are raised with it.

Americans are too hooked on sugar and HFCS to actually enjoy green tea. Break the sugar habit, and your taste buds will come alive like never before and you will never look back.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It would be great to get an objective, unbiased view on Saw Palmetto, however it seems all debate thus far looks polarised into two camps namely the natural approach or the chemical approach, each deriding the other it seems when the opportunity presents (just look at the garbage in favour of the chemical approach on hairloss talk for instance). Is it not the case that there are the drug companies and their stooges who do not want to loose ground (profits)to the herbalist and visa versa.
Can we ever therefore, expect effective treatment for mpb without a lifelong committment to sprays, pills or plants for that matter. The answer, probably yes but given the huge costs to these industries i fear that the answer will sadly, remain no

now where's that rug.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

has anyone experienced forhead acne while taking SP? I haven't had acne issues in the last 5-6 years, now all of a sudden I'm breaking out on my forehead.

dbwright
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

After one year of trying supplements and a home made stimulator I am growing abundant new terminal hair after 25 years of slick mpb baldness. Perhaps I have found the correct combination for my problem, but I do not know if I will develop an intolerance to one or more of the ingredients. We are all stabbing in the dark, and it is great to be able to share the fruits of our research, and warn about confidence tricksters. I am discussing my own experiences with an international company, but until I find out whether my device can be patanted I can't discuss it in detail. There are many patented ideas, which do not have any actual prototypes.
I am just starting on this track, trial and error. If it isn't a runner, later I will just post my idea for everyone to make their own. But it could be a red herring, I'll be honest. It needs more research. But amongst all the other guesswork, it is as good as any I suppose.

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't know if anybody touched on this, but one of the main reasons why Saw Palmetto works is the shrinking of the prostate. An enlarged prostate is one of the main reasons for an overabundance of DHT. Shrink the prostate and lower DHT. It's as simple as that.

Bon
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 04:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I thought it was the other way round. DHT caused the prostate to enlarge.

I have proscar-will shrinking the prostate gland cure that?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Shrink the prostate and lower DHT. It's as simple as that."

That's simple alright. :-)

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

No Bon, from what i hear, the prostate is one of the main manufacturing sites of DHT. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure.

hairdude101
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

How about you just cut yours balls off and then tell us later if your hair grows back. haha......well, at least I thought it was funny.

Mark
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

This is what I've ordered, what do you think?

http://www.healthydirect.co.uk/HDSite/product/Combination+Packs/1407.htm

It is marketed under prostate pack and you get SP and Zinc together. I got it because they seemed a good outlet.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mark:

If I had prostate problems I might order this; if I had hair problems I'd be looking for another "cure."

Mark
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's zinc and saw palmetto though.

Surely the doses must be of some use?

Thanks for replying.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Most hair loss is tied into prostate problems.

pete1
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

type "epilobium" and DHT into google...

Bradley
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Why is it not ok to stay on Saw Palmetto for an extended period of time but it is ok to stick with Propecia for the rest of your life?

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Could be some result of the shady drug corporations. Like they formulated that drug to do just enough that you can. Could be that SP does what is should, then becomes detrimental, so should be discontinued.

Though I've never heard of having to quit SP, those are the only reasons I can think of.

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry,

Can someone provide a link saying to stop SP?

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone experienced significant hair regrowth due to SP supplementation.? I'm cuurently taking SP 450mg berries in powder form. will this work?

Andrew
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 04:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous, iv been taking the 500mg powder form from GNC, and iv got tiny little hairs popping up on my hairline all over the place. They could possibly be popping up all over the scalp too, although with my hair in the way, its hard to tell. :-)

Buts its possible that this was caused from different other factors. Iv recently been drinking alot more green tea. Iv also started taking the Mega Men vitamin tablets from GNC, which contain a few ingredients which are natural 5a R inhibitors.

I should add, at the moment im not experiencing hair loss. Just hoping that a good diet will avoid it because my dad and older brother are experiencing it.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Andrew,
How soon after you started taking SP, vitamins and green tea did you start seeing results?

Andrew
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous, i had made green tea and vitamin supplements a regular part of my diet about 2 months ago. I only started taking saw palmetto a few weeks ago.
After the first week of taking saw palmetto, i noticed the hairs.

But you cant really base my experience and results with other people. Like i said, im not experiencing hair loss. The hairs that are popping up are a nice surprise.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Keep in mind that doctors in Europe prescribe Saw Palmetto for men with prostate problems. Research shows that SP is as effective as Proscar, more or less. Proscar is not used so often in Europe because the medical system there focuses on prevention so that costs can be cut. No way would they use proscar if SP is just as effective and a lot cheaper too. Here in the USA, its all about someone making money, so that is why proscar is more often used here. I know its sickening, but that's the bottom line. SP has no side effects. Proscar may cause liver damage and skews lab results when testing for certain cancers. If SP and proscar can do the same job, yet SP has no side effects and is a lot cheaper, its a no brainer which to take unless you are a drug company that wishes to market something.

IF proscar and SP virtually do the same thing and proscar can be substituted for propecia, the SP could be taken instead of propecia I would assume.
I wish there was a clinical study. The drug companies would certainly not want the challenge though.

jher
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Any one have any before and after pictures to prove to people Palmetto works?> Cause I dont see how it could do anything but produce man breasts

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This page is getting too long - too much scrolling. Post new questions and new comments on this subject here - Saw Palmetto - How does this fit into the mix? 2.