Topical saw palmetto Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Alternative Treatments » Topical saw palmetto « Previous Next »

kojak
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was wondering, if emu oil and oils in general have the ability to penetrate deeper within the scalp why not use pure saw palmetto to try and inhibit 5AReductase within the tissue surrounding the hair follicle as i understand that the capsules have virtually no effects on levels of scalp DHT; however oral saw palmetto has been shown in two double blind randomised controlled trials to reduce DHT in the prostate by inhibiting 5AR and improve lower urinary tract symptoms so it may work if applied topically in sufficient strength. Also does anyone know where i can buy the pure oil to test my hypothesis?

assss
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Why do people insist that saw palmetto works????????????????????????????????????????

cdtd
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

emu oil can be bot at most health food stores.
as far as I know emu oil is the only one that works as a carrier, that is if you desolve a vitamin in emu oil and rub it into your skin you're body will absorbe it.

I used saw palmetto and it made my hair fall out more

pl
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I used saw palmetto and it made my prostate feel better, but did nothing for my hair..:-(

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

well when hair falls out more in result of taking a supplement such as propecia or anything else, it usually results in hair growth, the hair that falls out usually in most cases grows back stronger, the problem with people and taking things are they arent waiting enough time, and people also believe everythign they hear. I believe that baldness can occur different in each person, for example it could result in a bad bladder means too much dht is attacking it and if you handle that then maybe your hair would come back. saw palmetto maybe helpful for stopping dht, but dont expect it to promote miracle hair growth. it may be a good idea to use saw palmetto with another way to attack baldness, but becareful, read toms article on this home page. you should really consult a doctor before taking any herbal supplement, messing with your hormones can be a dangerous thing. be careful and goodluck

jpj
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dr. Loren Pickart, inventor of Folligen, Tricomin, and American Crew copper peptide solutions stated in a post on skinbiology.com on why he includes saw palmetto in his emu oil and advised 80mg of saw palmetto OIL (and only OIL) a day. He simply knew some bodybuilders who had success with it.

He DIDNT have studies backing it up. Saw Palmetto oil apparently contains some of the free form fatty acids like linolenic and oleic that inhibit DHT in test tubes. There is no proof that it works in people, but the side effects that the body builders saw, gynochmostia or enlargement of the male breasts, would seem to indicate that it works in much the same way as dutasteride. The body builders were taking 320 mg a day of the stuff though, and thats alot.

Dr. Pickart also advised in addition to 80 mg of saw palmetto oil; 1 gram of MSM for sebum reduction, and 4 grams of cold mill processed flaxseed oil. He advised emu oil every other day and folligen every other day. In cases where there was hair loss already, he advised minoxidil daily also to revive vellus hairs and the other treatments to enlarge them.

Id like to see a big study of Saw Palmetto oil, but much like the info on the indole compound found in brocholli, IC3, and the equol produced in soy digestion among a third of the population, these wont be studied because no drug maker can profit from a natural compound and the FDA is the drug-makers whore.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey thanks for your message jpj. It's great to get your perspective on things.

assss
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Why do people insist that saw palmetto doesn't work????????????????????????????????????????

has to be an answer by now
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

why do people not consider using saw palmetto one week and propecia the next! this would also keep the chemicalists and herbalists happy!!

it could save your hair too!

oh and dont forget the se.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

After using saw palmetto for a while I shed alot of hair and thinking it was a good sign....I was wrong I never grew it back as a matter of fact I combined it with topical zinc too, from my experiments and research ive come to realize alternative treatments are a waste of time and hazardous to your health, stick with the proven treatments that SCIENTISTS and the FDA approve!!

damned if i know
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

But then the herbalists would argue that it's only been approved as it's been researched thoroughly, tested and hence patented = $ etc, seems and i could be way off here, that herbs, of which sp is one, cannot be (can it?) therefore why would anyone want to pump millions of notes into it's r&d if they cannot cream off mega profits.

(just playing devils advocate!)

Blowback
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Saw palmetto, especially if it's a standardized form of the herb's extract containing 85 to 95 percent fatty acids, does have some positive effect in halting hair loss...

Mr Tom Hagerty (Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 07:50 am)

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I take in the neighborhood of 3000 mg's of Saw Palmetto daily. Also, Green Tea, Red Wine, and Grape Seed.

Granted, I've only beeen for 2 months, but I sure as hell don't have gyno. If anything my body is get leaner, also in the chest area. My skin is clearing up.

How about, we look at what else the bodybuilders might have been taking. Possibly steroids. So that study may be very skewed.

Anyway, Saw Palmetto is in no way giving me estrogenic effects. My hair has gotten slightly better, though I'm not exactly jumping out of windows. I don't want to jinx anything. I've also noticed that hair on my legs is beginning to thin out.

pete1
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 04:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If your looking fora topical - look for a couple of key factors :

1) helps to inflammation
2) boost bloodflow
3) easily abosorbed

Regards
Pete1

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.