Tom, Cod liver oil ? Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Alternative Treatments » Tom, Cod liver oil ? « Previous Next »

David
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

You wrote:

"I also take a tablespoon of cod liver oil for the omega-3 fatty acids"

Where do you get "cod liver oil" in liquid format as I have only been able to find it as capsules in the health food section at supermarkets ?

Kind Regards

David

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

David:

You're right. It's hard to find liquid cod liver oil in the stores. Most large companies like Puritan's Pride find it is more profitable to sell pills and capsules. GNC discontinued selling liquid cod liver oil a few years ago but are selling it once again. I get GNC Norwegian cod liver oil, plain flavor, 16 oz. After I open it I keep it refrigerated to prevent rancidity.

I'm glad you pointed out that I wrote, "I also take a tablespoon of cod liver oil..." This is wrong. I take a teaspoonful or less. Cod liver oil contains a lot of vitamin A. You don't want to ingest too much of this vitamin because it can cause hair loss.

David
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Tom for the info ... I will check out GNC.

One last Q:

Seeing as you take cod liver oil in liquid form, is there a reason you take Vitamin E in gel caps instead of in liquid form as well?

Kind Regards

David

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

David:

Cod liver oil is a food. I prefer to get my nutrients from a food source if possible because of the many unidentified factors which have not yet been synthesized and put into supplements. Also nutrients from food sources are better assimilated.

I was not aware that vitamin E came in a liquid form. Tell me about this and give me your ideas about its effectiveness and stability. Rancidity is a problem with oils rich in this vitamin.

David
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

For Vitamin E in liquid form goto either:

http://www.drugstore.com/
or
http://www.gnc.com

As for details on nutrients etc... I will give a more detailed analysis later this week.

Kind Regards

David

Curious George
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does anyone know if Flaxseed oil is high in Vitamine A? I take Flaxseed or a balanced oil blend (brand Eudo's oil) for my source of Omega 3. I never thought to worry about vitamine A in the oil.

Thanks

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom ,,
could you kindly explain why you use cod liver oil to attain your levels of omega 3 and not other fish oils such as salmon etc

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

I'm rethinking the whole area of how to get the best intake of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids. Perhaps a good fish oil or marine lipid concentrate would be best because there is no possibility of getting too much vitamin A with these. I'd prefer eating salmon or tuna but I'm afraid of these fish being contaminated with mercury.

If you have any ideas about this, post a message. This is an important topic because many scientists suspect that the fatty acids and their proper ratios are important not just for hair loss but to prevent Alzheimer's disease too.

pete1
Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"I'm rethinking the whole area of how to get the best intake of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids. "

1)You should be looking for a high EPA to DHA ratio.

"Perhaps a good fish oil or marine lipid concentrate would be best because there is no possibility of getting too much vitamin A with these. I'd prefer eating salmon or tuna but I'm afraid of these fish being contaminated with mercury. "

2)Fish oils are a direct input of EPA so there are no possibilty of conversion problems unless your low on specific cofactors.

"If you have any ideas about this, post a message. This is an important topic because many scientists suspect that the fatty acids and their proper ratios are important not just for hair loss but to prevent Alzheimer's disease too."

3)David Horrobin was a pioneer in this field. Take a look at this : www.equazen.com

pete1
Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

4) I still hold a lot of stock in flax seed/ lecithin/ Evening primrose and there are some new comers ie krill oil and Perilla :-)

Eric Roberts
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Try Carlson's Cod Liver Oil. I just bought some yesterday from my local Healthy Life Market. If no one carries it you can have them order it, or order it offline. You might also want to try www.tropicaltraditions.com They too, have superior Cod Liver oil.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Eric:

I'm sure the product you're taking is good. Please don't take too much though. I get emulsified cod liver oil with a mint flavor from www.swansonvitamins.com. This stuff tastes great - it's almost addictive.

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I TAKE A MULTIVITAMINE (CENTRUM), FISH OIL CAPSULE WITH OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS, TWO 80 MG CAPSULES OF SAW PALMETTO, AND USE NIOXIN AND NIZORAL. IS THIS A GOOD COMBO TO FIGHT HAIRLOSS AND REGROW ANY HAIR ?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

I honestly don't know if pills alone will benefit your hair. I do know that it's easy to pop pills, and that it feels good to think that this is doing something for your hair. My preferance is getting nutrients from real food when possible because the absorption of nutrients from food is much greater. But people have been brought up to believe in the magic power of pills and will continue to have faith in their effectiveness.

Nioxin and Nizoral are both good products but don't expect them to regrow hair.

Ritchie
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

I take about 1.5 - 2 grams of cod liver oil (Liquid) and 1 tablespoon of Flaxeed powdered, which I powdered at home and consume in a week. ( I just swallow with water). Besides this, I take a tea made by adding boiling water to powdered flax and adding a bit of green tea to add taste. Do you think this is good enough tp provide sufficient Omega 3?

Ritchie

Ritchie
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I understand that it would be better to take the Omega-3 from diverse sources and hence prefer to have Flaxseed + Cod liver, rather than taking too much of any one.

Tom, I do worry though, about whether the drinking of Flax tea is alright. I once read that high temperatures damage the unsaturation in flax oil and make it toxic. Please tell me what you think.

Ritchie

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ritchie:

I used to take flaxseed oil. I don't any more because I read an article that discussed some of the possible harmful effects of extracting the oil from the seeds. The article really wasn't too convincing but I stopped using the oil anyway because I usually prefer unprocessed foods. The unprocessed flax seed powder that I get from Puritan's Pride is a good source of omega-3 and other nutrients - and it tastes OK mixed with oatmeal.

"I once read that high temperatures damage the unsaturation in flax oil and make it toxic."

I don't know exactly what that means, but if you're worried stay with the powder.

"I understand that it would be better to take the Omega-3 from diverse sources and hence prefer to have Flaxseed + Cod liver, rather than taking too much of any one."

It is best to get omega-3 from diverse sources - preferably real food instead of from pills or capsules.

Ritchie
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for your reply Tom. I was reflecting on the popularly held view that high temperatures harm the flax oil and therefore it's not advicable to fry in it.

When I make flax tea, I add boiling water to a kettle containing the powder and stir gently a couple of times, so that the final product gets the oil in it. The resulting tea is very oily and is said to be good for people with a tendency to get constipated.

I was wondering whether this heat is making the oil toxic, and whether I am drinking a potentially dangerous thing.

Ritchie

Ritchie
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just for the record,

Flaxseed was used commonly in pre-independance India. Infact Mahatma Gandhi was a strong advocate of Flax as a regular addition to meals, to maintain health. It was thought to be a wonder food, that can cure and prevent many diseases.

Also I was reading some research, where the active substance in Turmeric was found to be a very powerful antioxidant by itself and thought to enhance the antioxidant benefit of Green tea 3 times, when consumed together. Wonder if you've heard of this research.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ritchie:

"I was wondering whether this heat is making the oil toxic, and whether I am drinking a potentially dangerous thing."

I don't have the answer to this. I would not use the oil to cook with and I would not put the powder in boiling water though.

"Turmeric was found to be a very powerful antioxidant by itself and thought to enhance the antioxidant benefit of Green tea 3 times, when consumed together."

I've read the research about turmeric - it's convincing. I always enjoy those statements - like a certain herb will enhance the benefit of something 3 times or 20 times or 250 percent. Do you think a scientist would write like this? This is like the headlines you'd see in a tabloid in the supermarket. "Princess X lost 100 pounds using exciting new herb!" Right.

Ritchie
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, I guess scientists dont talk like that.

But then again, I thought 73 yr olds didnt have a sense of humour like yours. :-)

guest11
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Maybe coldpressed flaxseed oil is safer, since the least amount of heat is involved during processing. Buy organic ofcourse.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

hi tom ,
i wonder do you think that fish oil or omega-3 f.acid have some activity against dht

Gabe
Username: Gabe

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"hi tom ,
i wonder do you think that fish oil or omega-3 f.acid have some activity against dht"

I raise that question again, what's your'e thoughts on that tom?

Klaas H
Username: Jkkezh

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 05:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The effects of Omega-3 are mainly anti-inflammatory. So it does not directly affect DHT levels but helps reduce the inflammation caused by DHT.

Tom Hagerty
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2828
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gabe:

Diets high in omega-3 fatty acids (such as fish oils, cod liver oil) help people with autoimmune diseases (some researchers speculate that MPB may have an autoimmune component). This is because the omega-3s help the arteries, as well as many other parts of the body including the hair follicles, stay inflammation free. In other words, as Klaas H said, the omega-3 fatty acids, both EPA and DHA, are anti-inflammatories.

But if your total focus is on DHT as the sole cause of hair loss, you might not give enough attention to other, mostly dietary, factors that may help with hair loss problems.

Joanne
Username: Brokenheart

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The liquid form is easier to get in the UK than it sounds to be in the US. But I am concerned as I am with all fish products-is there a mercury issue with cod liver oil?

I am nursing a baby right now and don't want to risk increasing my own blood mercury levels.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3524
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Joanne:

If you take cod liver oil, make sure you don't take over a teaspoonful because you don't want to get too much vitamin A. Too much vitamin A has a negative effect on hair follicle health.

The Norwegian cod liver oil I get from Twinlab is PCB/Heavy Metal Free. You certainly don't want any risk of methyl mercury in your food if you're nursing a baby.

Mikhail
Username: Mphatesmpb

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,
Do you still get your cod liver oil from Twinlab? I have a bottle of fish oil (not cod liver oil) made by Kirkland and I take two capsules every day. I figured that since Kirkland is an established company that it would have quality fish oil, but I am not so sure after having watched a video on Dr. Mercola's website about the poor quality of fish oil products.

Do you suggest that I switch to Twinlab?

Also, I learned from the same video that fish oil should be refrigerated to prevent them from going rancid. Unfortunately I did not do this. Should I just throw out the bottle of Kirkland capsules?

-Mikhail

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 4090
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mikhail:

I still take Norwegian cod liver oil from Twinlab but I take just one teaspoon or less daily. You certainly don't want to get too much vitamin A because this is not great for hair. I keep this along with fish oil products in the refrigerator after they are opened. Rancid oils are not good for your health as you know.

Did you notice that on the Twinlab label is "PCB/Heavy Metal Free." This does not appear on most cod liver oils. The oil is "Molecularly Distilled." This is supposed to be the best process for quality but I don't know enough about the process to have confidence in it.

Did you see the latest two-part video of Dr. Mercola's conversation with Dr. Rudy Moerck? The name of the video is When Never Ever to Use Fish Oil. Did you notice that all of Dr. Mercola's titles on his pages are similar to the titles you see on the tabloids at the supermarket. They never explain what they are about but they hint of dire consequences. I expect to hear sinister music in the background.

I'm not a fan of Dr. Mercola even though I read some of his stuff. I hope you don't buy the tanning bed that he sells. But I think he is correct about krill oil. This is a useful supplement and Doctors Mercola and Moerck are absolutely correct I think in their analysis. I use Schiff's MegaRed but may switch to the Puritan Pride brand which is more powerful and cheaper.

Here's a link to Dr. Mercola's video about Krill Oil.

Mikhail

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

Yeah, I did see the video of Dr. Mercola's conversation with Dr. Rudy Moerck - it's what got me thinking twice about fish oil supplements.

I also noticed that the e-mails from Dr. Mercola's site are somewhat tabloid-like. But I guess the unprofessional marketing strategy doesn't necessarily mean that his opinions are wrong. Maybe he needs to use those tabloid-like titles to get a large readership.

Is this the brewer's yeast that you buy?
http://www.puritan.com/brewers-568/brewers-yeast-powder-002270?NewPage=1

Is it alright that it's been de-bittered?

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 4091
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mikhail:

That's the brewer's yeast I use. It's good-tasting because it's debittered.

Mikhail

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

Just to confirm: you take krill oil and cod liver oil?

What do you think about odwalla and clif bars? I've been eating the berries gomega bar made by odwalla, and the oatmeal walnut raisin clif bar. I examined the ingredients lists of these products and I didn't see anything that seemed bad. And the vitamins/minerals/omega3 content seem pretty good too.

Here's a link about the berries gomega bar:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/272969-nutrition-information-for-odwalla-bars/

And one about the clif bar:
http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/clif-bar/oatmeal -raisin-walnut/

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 4101
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mikhail:

Nutrition bars are usually overrated according to Dr. Weil (possibly because he doesn't sell them). They are all highly processed even though the ingredients are to some extent OK.

The main problem with these bars is that the dried fruit sticks between the teeth causing cavities. Nothing is more cariogenic than dried raisins.

I take both cod liver oil and krill oil. If you get krill oil make sure it has astazanthin in the ingredient list.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.